DORSEY FIRED, Joe Brady Interim OC

Process

1 minute ago, BuffaloMatt said:

And they should have shitcanned Special Teams too. 

Why? Is the coach hitting those short punts? How about on the coverage of punts….are the players not responsible for staying in their lanes, shedding blocks, and making good tackles?

This Bills team is FILLED with players who DO NOT execute….DO NOT DO THEIR JOBS….on game days. Have been seeing it ALL YEAR LONG. Yes, coaching is integral to a successful team, BUT there is only so much the coaches can do. Like I’ve said a few times in here recently, it looks like a lot of these players are just in it for the paycheck, and could not care less whether they win or lose. Missing the playoffs means more time off for them, and I’m certain many players are just fine with that.

3 minutes ago, DCBongo said:

Dorseys play calling was not consistent.  He took away scripted QB runs, he never took Josh on.  Daboll would reem him when needed and pump him up when deflated.  I hope Brady stays on the sidelines so he can talk with Josh instead of QB1 sitting alone and looking despondent.

No flow.  No identity.

3 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Why? Is the coach hitting those short punts? How about on the coverage of punts….are the players not responsible for staying in their lanes, shedding blocks, and making good tackles?

This Bills team is FILLED with players who DO NOT execute….DO NOT DO THEIR JOBS….on game days. Have been seeing it ALL YEAR LONG. Yes, coaching is integral to a successful team, BUT there is only so much the coaches can do. Like I’ve said a few times in here recently, it looks like a lot of these players are just in it for the paycheck, and could not care less whether they win or lose. Missing the playoffs means more time off for them, and I’m certain many players are just fine with that.

When its, as you point out, the entire team not executing - that is on coaching.

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, folz said:

This is why you don't let your QB make major decisions, like who should be the OC.

Pure speculation here, but could it be that since Josh wanted Dorsey so much that he continued backing him when other players (particularly Stef) saw major issues with the offense and/or Dorsey himself? Could this be what cooled their relationship, what Stef was upset about, what the problem in the locker room is? If Josh was on an island in his support of Dorsey, or if there was a split in the locker room about it (like with a QB controversy) that could be a cause of the "lack of fun," subdued, depressed sideline demeanor of the team and/or certain players, not being on the same page, etc. There are problems if your QB isn't the team leader with everyone following him...or if the team leaders aren't all pulling in the same direction.

If that were true, it still wouldn't leave McDermott blameless. He obviously needed to address that situation earlier then. Plus, he's the one that ultimately made the decision to hire Dorsey.

Well, now McD gets the rest of the season to prove that either Dorsey was the problem, or if instead Sean, himself, has lost this team. This team has suffered so much heartbreak and bad luck over the last two years that maybe the players have just lost faith in McDermott's "process." We'll see.

But, if he can't turn them around and go on a streak to end the season, then I'll no longer have confidence that he could turn them around next year. Sometimes you just need a change to exorcise all the bad juju that has built up.

At the start of the season I thought there is no way that McDermott gets fired unless the team totally tanks, which I didn't think possible, but here we are. Seven bad games out of ten isn't a slump, it is a collapse. Not sure if my speculations are correct, but there is obviously something seriously wrong with this team.

I'll offer a counter bit of speculation here: the idea that Allen "hired" Dorsey was way overblown.  The evidence fits that Allen was okay with Dorey being promoted but there is no proof that I've seen that Allen advocated for him over say another highly respected and talented O coordinator.

Again this is pure speculation but maybe all McD offered up to Allen was to promote Dorsey and Allen was "hey that sounds great".  So what would McD's motivation be for wanting Dorsey promoted rather then bringing someone in from outside One Bills Drive? To start with Dorsey is going to be a lot more pliable to doing what McD wants then some outside OC who would only take the job with some promises of having autonomy in play calling and offensive design.  You know someone who would be like DaBoll and be a thorn in McD's side. McD's recent public comments about his view of what the offense should look like and how it should compliment his D supports the notion that the last thing McD wanted was an ornery, independent thinking OC. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Excuse my ignorance.  But who is Earnest Shackleton? 

He was an English explorer who famously led an expedition to Antarctica in 1914.  The weather turned cold earlier than expected and their ship was crushed by pack ice.  They had no way to return home or call for help and lived for months on ice floes and, later, a frozen little island with no provisions.  Thanks to Shackleton's leadership, the crew survived for roughly a year before Shackleton managed to get them rescued.  The details of the story are remarkable.  Not only did Shackleton keep his crew alive in near-impossible conditions, he also kept their spirits high and maintained a harmonious atmosphere despite the fact that any reasonable person in that situation would have thought death was their probable fate.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

I'll offer a counter bit of speculation here: the idea that Allen "hired" Dorsey was way overblown.  The evidence fits that Allen was okay with Dorey being promoted but there is no proof that I've seen that Allen advocated for him over say another highly respected and talented O coordinator.

Again this is pure speculation but maybe all McD offered up to Allen was to promote Dorsey and Allen was "hey that sounds great".  So what would McD's motivation be for wanting Dorsey promoted rather then bringing someone in from outside One Bills Drive? To start with Dorsey is going to be a lot more pliable to doing what McD wants then some outside OC who would only take the job with some promises of having autonomy in play calling and offensive design.  You know someone who would be like DaBoll and be a thorn in McD's side. McD's recent public comments about his view of what the offense should look like and how it should compliment his D supports the notion that the last thing McD wanted was an ornery, independent thinking OC. 

Agreed 100%

The legend of Josh hiring Dorsey is right up there with the legend of Josh knocking up a bartender in things that never happened.

Did they consult their $250M man to make sure he was onboard and bought in at the time? Absolutely.

Did he have the power to strongly influence the hiring decisions? Probably not.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The guy has scored more touchdowns than any other quarterback on the planet since 2019.

He's led his team to more wins than anyone aside from Mahomes during that time frame.

If that's not top-tier QB play, what the hell is?

That's a fair argument.

But I'd like to see fewer turnovers and mental mistakes.  

He has the potential to be as good as Mahomes.  Maybe better.  But he's currently playing at a lower level.  

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Herbert is great but I disagree.

I guess it's crazy to me the people that want to move on from him.  Your opinion and mine don't differ too much.

Move on?? No way.  There isn't but a handful of QB's with his talent in the NFL right now. Think he's a generational player who can just carry a team to multiple Super Bowls? No.  Even Mahomes can't do that alone. 

There is Mahomes........................................................................then that handful. That's where Allen is and unrealistic expectations of him aren't going to help matters.

8 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Ok. I'm sure you'd trade him for much "safer" options like Derek Carr, Kenny Pickett, and Baker Mayfield. Good luck with that.

No. I'd do what this staff has attempted to do. Reign him in and make him a better overall QB.  He's not cooperating.

3 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Dorsey gets fired bc:

1: Cook cant hold onto the ball

2: Davis cant hold onto the ball.

3: Josh throws into double coverage

4: Josh drops a handoff on the ground

5: Def (which was stellar) commits PI at end of game

6: Def (which was stellar) has 12 men on the field.

Sounds like players arent executing to me.

And when players continuously fail to execute, you need to examine the people in charge of teaching them how to execute. 

It all starts up top. When teams lose, coaches are held accountable. This isn’t unique to Buffalo. This is Coach Clappy’s last ditch effort to save his own job. I doubt it works, but Dorsey is primarily to blame for Dorsey being canned.

43 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

This offense has been far, far too predictable under Dorsey. Opposing teams know what is coming and unless the Buffalo offensive players play perfectly it's doomed to fail. 

The offense might be complex to a degree but its plays have been simple for teams to diagnose. 

Hopefully, this changes this week with a different OC. 

You nailed it. This is why Dorsey is gone and should have been fired weeks ago.

You hear from many of our offensive players (Playoff Lenny most recently) how complex out offense is. Then you hear opposing defensive players talk about how predictable it is, how they know exactly what we are running based on formations. 

That’s a huge problem.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 34-30 said:

No. I'd do what this staff has attempted to do. Reign him in and make him a better overall QB.  He's not cooperating.

They reined him in exactly like they wanted to. It's made him worse.

It's like trying to keep a Great White shark in captivity. It's never worked.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

They reigned him in exactly like they wanted to. It's made him worse.

It's like trying to keep a Great White shark in captivity. It's never worked.

it's taking away your own competitive advantage.

How do you not run scripted QB Power behind multiple blockers.  Automatic positive plays.... 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.