DORSEY FIRED, Joe Brady Interim OC

Process

11 minutes ago, Beast said:

Don’t know.

Does Terry revel in the accomplishment of breaking the drought and building a contender that never finished its business?

We shall see.

19 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Question is - does Beane stay on and is he the one who fires his partner? Or does Pegula fire them both? Does Pegula have the ballz to do that? I'm skeptical.

My educated guess would be Beane stays for the moment  (benefit of the doubt earning a short leash for drafting Allen) but won't take very much for him to get sent packing too 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I noticed that guys hand during the game last night, but just thought it was a massive scab from a cut. Is pine tar actually illegal in the NFL ? With all the stick 'em they allow on gloves you'd think they wouldn't care. 

image.thumb.png.09f2285afc448a6eb73b84de38c7afb2.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DCBongo said:

Dorseys play calling was not consistent.  He took away scripted QB runs, he never took Josh on.  Daboll would reem him when needed and pump him up when deflated.  I hope Brady stays on the sidelines so he can talk with Josh instead of QB1 sitting alone and looking despondent.

The stat for me was when they showed our -11 point scoring deficit in the 1st quarter. That speaks to the scripted plays which have been designed by him and practiced all week aren't working. That's a huge problem. No momentum built, just nothing helping about that. Hopefully Brady has some different ideas, but all that should have already been tossed out there when they went over the game plan. Maybe Brady will be able to make the right choices.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Why? Is the coach hitting those short punts? How about on the coverage of punts….are the players not responsible for staying in their lanes, shedding blocks, and making good tackles?

This Bills team is FILLED with players who DO NOT execute….DO NOT DO THEIR JOBS….on game days. Have been seeing it ALL YEAR LONG. Yes, coaching is integral to a successful team, BUT there is only so much the coaches can do. Like I’ve said a few times in here recently, it looks like a lot of these players are just in it for the paycheck, and could not care less whether they win or lose. Missing the playoffs means more time off for them, and I’m certain many players are just fine with that.

But when a team is built exactly how the coach wants it, character over talent, quickness over size, 18 defensive lineman. This team is a reflection of its coach, and his old, tired, philosophy 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

My educated guess would be Beane stays for the moment  (benefit of the doubt earning a short leash for drafting Allen) but won't take very much for him to get sent packing too 

If Beane stays perhaps he may learn that OLs are important and that 10 crap Jags is less than 5 quality players.

• Like (+1) 1

Dorsey has consistently failed to adjust on the fly during games.  the only time the Bills have been able to move the ball is in Hurry up when Josh has more control over the play calling.  it's very obvious.  there has been a number of times where the play comes in late which has been mentioned by the players.  Josh needs the call early so he has more time to assess the defense.

The 2nd INT where josh threw a terrible pass to Hardy.  He shouldn't have thrown it but why are you throwing an out route to a guy that's like 5'8 or something.  
where are all the cross patterns.  Where is Gabe Davis?  

Just now, nedboy7 said:

I cant wait for the fire Brady posts after next game. 

I dont think any reasonable Bills fan is expecting a midstream turnaround by an interim OC. I expect the offense to look similar to what we've seen.

But I do expect/want to see our execution and engagement to improve.

Do the guys look focused? Do they look like they're having fun? Or at least look like they want to be there?

The rest is all fluff to get us through the rest of this season so we can re-tool in the offseason.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

The stat for me was when they showed our -11 point scoring deficit in the 1st quarter. That speaks to the scripted plays which have been designed by him and practiced all week aren't working. That's a huge problem. No momentum built, just nothing helping about that. Hopefully Brady has some different ideas, but all that should have already been tossed out there when they went over the game plan. Maybe Brady will be able to make the right choices.

It also shows a bad form of negative complimentary football between the O & D.  Part of that differential is the D allowing the other team to score 1st quarter points.  Remember Cincinnati, LV & NE.

2 minutes ago, kota said:

Dorsey has consistently failed to adjust on the fly during games.  the only time the Bills have been able to move the ball is in Hurry up when Josh has more control over the play calling.  it's very obvious.  there has been a number of times where the play comes in late which has been mentioned by the players.  Josh needs the call early so he has more time to assess the defense.

The 2nd INT where josh threw a terrible pass to Hardy.  He shouldn't have thrown it but why are you throwing an out route to a guy that's like 5'8 or something.  

5'6".

He's LISTED at 5'6" where they always err to make a player look better.

And we have him running an intermediate/deep out at the boundary...

Complete incompetence in personnel usage and play design.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, kota said:

My issue is why is Allen continuing to make the same bad throws?  That INT to Hardy was the exact same throw he tried to throw to Davis against the Bengals last game that got picked too.

The almost INT on the 2nd play of the game to Kincaid for the Bills was the same play Allen threw an INT to Knox against the Pats.  It's like he keeps doing the same thing regardless of if it actually works or not.  WTF is he doing?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

The playcalling decisions were just as questionable as the scheme, maybe more so.  It felt like Dorsey was picking them at random instead of trying to establish a gameflow. 

Dorsey doesn’t do game flow, he doesn’t fully understand that one play should support the next play called, etc etc etc, many former QB talking heads have spoken to this topic,  it’s why we appear disjointed on offense, well that and execution, 

2 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

there were multiple times again last night that Josh looked to the opposite side of the field than what I thought he should. Picking man match-ups is one thing, but vs zone play the concept side - thought this was an Allen mistake thing, but I do wonder if this move means it was being coached that way...

I have been wondering this for a few weeks now. Like in that Dan Orlovsky clip going around about the 4th and 2 from last night, I have seen people criticize Josh for not looking to Kincaid on the zone beater side after the pre-snap motion clearly indicated zone. But there's no way Josh just chose to ignore that. Anybody that has played Madden knows that the motion indicated zone. Josh as a long time NFL QB clearly would have known that too. So I have trouble blaming him for that read because there's just no way he would unintentionally look away from his zone beater side and follow a different set of progressions. None of it makes any sense. And I have seen similarly bizarre reads several times this year, so ultimately something had to change.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They reined him in exactly like they wanted to. It's made him worse.

It's like trying to keep a Great White shark in captivity. It's never worked.

I don't know how reigning him in equates to underthrown passes to the boundary that are inside the receiver where they should never be thrown.

That pass on those comeback routes has to have heat on it and be outside the receiver towards the boundary.

It's not like Allen has not thrown those before. He and Davis made a living off those passes where Davis would keep his toes in bounds making those grabs.

His deep ball accuracy has dropped considerably too.

His throwing has regressed, could be injury-related or lack of practice and reps, but that has little to do with Allen running or not.

Edited by WideNine
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I'll offer a counter bit of speculation here: the idea that Allen "hired" Dorsey was way overblown.  The evidence fits that Allen was okay with Dorey being promoted but there is no proof that I've seen that Allen advocated for him over say another highly respected and talented O coordinator.

Again this is pure speculation but maybe all McD offered up to Allen was to promote Dorsey and Allen was "hey that sounds great".  So what would McD's motivation be for wanting Dorsey promoted rather then bringing someone in from outside One Bills Drive? To start with Dorsey is going to be a lot more pliable to doing what McD wants then some outside OC who would only take the job with some promises of having autonomy in play calling and offensive design.  You know someone who would be like DaBoll and be a thorn in McD's side. McD's recent public comments about his view of what the offense should look like and how it should compliment his D supports the notion that the last thing McD wanted was an ornery, independent thinking OC. 

McDermott isn’t going to hire someone that is going to upstage him. He has to be in control. All the time. He knew that Dorsey was someone who wasn’t a real threat to him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont think any reasonable Bills fan is expecting a midstream turnaround by an interim OC. I expect the offense to look similar to what we've seen.

Do the guys look focused? Do they look like they're having fun? Or at least look like they want to be there?

The rest is all fluff to get us through the rest of this season so we can re-tool in the offseason.

The logical head to call for next is McDermott anyways. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

My expectation is a complete simplification, with a lot bread and butter stuff that our guys can execute.

Similar to when Lynn took over from Roman, and basically chopped the playbook in half, and said “when we run these plays, we get 5 YPC, so that’s what we’re calling now.”

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.