Once upon a time when I was younger I'd be pissed

Returntoglory

7 hours ago, Returntoglory said:

Once upon a time, a loss like this , or any loss, would piss me off and ruin my week!

Not anymore.

I take these losses in stride now. Realizing that it's just a game and really is meaningless in the great scheme of things and really has no bearing on my life.

Being a Bills fan for almost 50 years does that to a person I suppose.

And this too shall pass.

I hear you, I used to be a pound the coffee table, scream at the TV kind of fan but no more. The thing that pisses me off the most is the image of Buffalo that is getting projected to the rest of the country. Buffalo doesn't have much of a positive image as it is, now we can add loser.

• Like (+1) 1

This season has hit all five stages of grief for me:

Denial - The Jets game was a fluke.

Anger - The Jags had an unfair advantage.

Bargaining - The Giants game was too close for comfort, but maybe that's the wake-up call that the offense needs.

Depression - The Cinci game convinced me that this is not our Super Bowl year.

Acceptance - After last night, I doubt we'll even make the post-season.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Returntoglory said:

Once upon a time, a loss like this , or any loss, would piss me off and ruin my week!

Not anymore.

I take these losses in stride now. Realizing that it's just a game and really is meaningless in the great scheme of things and really has no bearing on my life.

And this too shall pass.

Appreciate the sentiment and philosophic perspective.  For the most part I am right there with you.  Been a Bills fan since they drafted OJ.  After the Superbowl losses and the subsequent doldrums of mediocrity, it took a while to redevelop any emotional attachment to this team.  Grew tired of all the off season hype and hope only to be disappointed.  Wash, rinse, repeat for 17 years.  Still enjoyed watching, waiting, speculating. 

Then came Josh Allen and all the hope and promise that this young man represented along with him.  The emotions returned.  I liked everything I heard and saw from the GM down to the practice squad players.  I thought, this was our time.

Despite the roller coaster of this season, I never lost hope thinking Josh would wake up, the team would rally, and the coaches would lead.  As much as I believe every word you posted, I am still left with being.... Pissed Off!  Tomorrow is a new day.  Go Bills!

Edited by mabden
premature post
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Returntoglory said:

Not anymore.

And this too shall pass.

Well Said, I too with age have been able to temper my disappointment. I actually told my wife that although I was unhappy with the result and watching the game was brutal it gave me an opportunity to converse with my son who is away at school and stay connected to my Buffalo friend base through texts and calls throughout the game which was enjoyable. Go Bills!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Success said:

I dunno.  I've been a fan for 45 years or so, and I almost smashed a laptop when they called the penalty for 12 men on the field.

The Bills still make me feel like the irrational 10 year old I was when I started watching them back in 1979. But they were so bad in 1979 I didn't care. However 1 year later they won the division and made the playoffs. When Fouts won the playoff game for SD with a 50 yard slant  pass that should have been stopped I had my first taste of the heartbreak of devastating Bill's loss where I had become irrationally invested. Now 43 years later its the same feeling. No other team does that to me among all the sports teams I have followed, near and far. The Bills still make me want to smash something or scream obscenities as loud as I can. When I saw the PI on Johnson and his clumsy avoidable coverage I smacked the floor and crumpled to a heap with disgust. Then the FG sails wide, BUT WAIT a flag for the most obvious and indisputable penalty in football, TOO MANY MEN!!! Thats when I just went off like Vesuvius! Even my teen kids (who usually find my Bills antics amusing and mock them) were completely disgusted with the outcome and left in a fury! All I could think is welcome to Bills fandom guys, its a lifelong abusive relationship with a few highs but a life of pain!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Not anymore.

And this too shall pass.

im in my 30s and feel this exact way. In the past I'd be calling wgr,  Sal once made a suicide comment after a brutal L to NE that he got heat online for , I was that crazy caller, depressed for days etc

I would’ve loved the W but I'm emotionally fine

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Not anymore.

And this too shall pass.

Absolutely,

I wrote a little bit about the accident my dad was in last year, week one, and how that really changed my perspective of things. I’m a recent newly wed and 6 days after the wedding, my wife and I had to manage another pretty significant medical situation. 

I love this team, always will, but this doesn’t even register on the things that I’m going to spend my time being stressed or upset about. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Not anymore.

And this too shall pass.

And it is so sad. 

It is sad ´cause how much we used care. I´m affraid that when the Bills finally win their first SB I might not even feel as good as it should ´cause I don´t care that much now. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Wadhams said:

Same here. at 44 I've reached a point in my life where my emotional well-being no longer hinges on the outcome of a sporting event.

Same, I let out a yell as the field goal went through the uprights, punched a pillow and five minutes later I was calm. In my younger years I'd stew on this for days. 

• Agree 1

The losses wash me off pretty easily now compared to my younger days when i was in my teens and 20's.  I tossed and turned, but waking up today the feeling is already gone.  It's whatever... just typical Bills.  I'll continue to watch the games, just because I like to watch NFL and the Bills.

We've had some great regular seasons recently.  Just not our year.  But the next kick in the nuts will be to see a team like Detroit or Jax, Cinci, Cleveland..etc claw their way into the Super Bowl and win it before Buffalo.  I'd be happy for them maybe,,,but definitely jealous.

• Like (+1) 2

Not anymore.

And this too shall pass.

Agreed.  I turned the game off after the first quarter telling my kids that I've seen this story before. No point wasting more time.

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Like (+1) 1

Not anymore.

And this too shall pass.

I was like you at one time. Now I get mad because I know my window is closing. I'm coming to the realization that I will probably never see the Bill win a Super Bowl in my lifetime. I appreciate and thank you for your perspective. I'm going to try to apply your advice. 

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Definitely, I agree.   I have been Bills fan since 1989 when I moved to Buffalo.   Losing sucks but I tolerate the pain and anger better as I get older.  This week I will drive up from Long Island to attend the game against Jets.  Life goes on..   Go Bills.

Edited by kkim0904
  • Like (+1) 1

It seems I picked a good time to start caring less about the NFL. This would have been much more difficult for me a couple decades ago, but I’m much better now. If not for the Bills, the league would have minimal interest for me, personally. I credit the London trip for that clarity. 

• Like (+1) 1

i warn any with sobriety issues in becoming a bills fan...

grow numb to this, i laughed at the end knowing full well this has and will happen again

full blitz when wilson did little in the pass game n the kicker was shaky...dime defense when they were kneeling?? millionaires n coaches who lack the iq to count to 11, no checkdown josh, bench a good rb after a good broncos punchout etc etc,...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.