Gabe open all day- Dorsey playing Madden

NakedSquid

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

I'm amazed at how Gabe suddenly has incredible days like the 13 seconds game, where he was literally unguardable and scored like 11 times (it seemed). 

The issue he has only like 5 such games in his 4 year career and done very little rest of the games.

Theory:  Davis seasonal life cycle:

• Davis has good game.  
  • In the subsequent games he garners extra defensive attention and he becomes irrelevant.
  • After so many games of being irrelevant, defenses forget about him again and don't apply extra attention and he has another random good game.
  • Rinse and Repeat.
  • Results in a a couple good games a season and then a bunch of meh to irrelevant games the rest of the year.

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I mean... the grounding one was the right play by gabe (assuming he has the freedom to do that).  They're giving you that 10-12 yard completion in the 2 minute drill.  

Knox targeting stats this year are BADDDDDDD.  Leads the team in (recorded) drops with 4.  How many additional ones did he almost have that he didn't catch that weren't drops.  

And the worst part is we absolutely need him because without him the run game is doody.  

Strongly disagree. Single high look, Gabe had a path on the inside and is starting to blow past...then just cuts it off. 10-12 is nice. That could have been 25-30 and possibly a TD. And if he gets caught inbounds....plenty of time left and 1 time out. Poor awareness by Davis IMO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The issue he has only like 5 such games in his 4 year career and done very little rest of the games.

• Davis has good game.  
  • In the subsequent games he garners extra defensive attention and he becomes irrelevant.
  • After so many games of being irrelevant, defenses forget about him again and don't apply extra attention and he has another random good game.
  • Rinse and Repeat.
  • Results in a a couple good games a season and then a bunch of meh to irrelevant games the rest of the year.

So, this is the way he should be used, and really what people have been clamoring for. 

We did, we have had a good first and second option the last few weeks. 16 catches for 160 yards between Diggs and Kincaid is good. What the offense is now lacking is making defenses pay for ignoring Cook, Davis, Shakir. These guys should be rotating their big games. Diggs/Kincaid as the primary and the others are complimentary. 

I don't see the need  for some to hold Davis' feet to the flames for playing the role that people have been begging him to play. 

I will say that this game should have featured Cook as the third target. So many times he was ignored by the defense with nothing but green in front of him. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Play 1: Allen briefly looks at Davis to the left but sees his defender has safety help and moves to Kincaid, who is running the same route to the right. Hits him for a nice gain that almost went for a TD.

Play 2: Sherfield has 1 on 1 and abuses his defender from the snap. Allen rightfully sticks with him.

Play 3: This was discussed yesterday. Allen looks to Gabe first but he has coverage shallow and behind him. He makes the right read and goes to the man with a 1 on 1.

Play 4: This is the hole shot play where Gabe got open and Allen threw to him.

Play 5: Kincaid was the first read and he quickly got leverage and was open. Allen rightfully threw to him.

Gabe may be getting open but Allen is making the right read.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Santana said:

All of these issues would be fixed if they just had a run game. For the love of me I don't understand how the Bills make running the football the most difficult task in the world. It's actually impressive in the most frustrating way possible.

You'd think after 5 years they'd figure out that you need a decent oline to have a consistent run game. Instead they draft more running backs.

How's Zack Moss doing in Indy?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Strongly disagree. Single high look, Gabe had a path on the inside and is starting to blow past...then just cuts it off. 10-12 is nice. That could have been 25-30 and possibly a TD. And if he gets caught inbounds....plenty of time left and 1 time out. Poor awareness by Davis IMO.

Davis might be stupid.

when he stops, when he goes. if he has options on his route? He picks the wrong ones.

He and josh should easily be on the same page by now. is it Coaching ?

Davis is Not a good fit right now

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

So he was schemed open by Dorsey, Josh wont throw him the ball, but its Dorsey's fault?

very possibly, yes.

2 hours ago, Mango said:

So, this is the way he should be used, and really what people have been clamoring for. 

We did, we have had a good first and second option the last few weeks. 16 catches for 160 yards between Diggs and Kincaid is good. What the offense is now lacking is making defenses pay for ignoring Cook, Davis, Shakir. These guys should be rotating their big games. Diggs/Kincaid as the primary and the others are complimentary. 

I don't see the need  for some to hold Davis' feet to the flames for playing the role that people have been begging him to play. 

I will say that this game should have featured Cook as the third target. So many times he was ignored by the defense with nothing but green in front of him. 

God bless your perspective.

Football is week to week. the focus should be ever changing for both defenses and offenses.

As we know Dfenses want to take away certain players and plays.

That simply means Coaches shift to what they are not keyed on. and thats why game time adjustments are mighty important

And how Games are won

Edited by 3rdand12

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

My general take on Davis: Due to his inability to uncover quickly (lack of lateral agility) he is usually a later option in the QB’s progressions. Therefore the ball is usually out before the QB gets to him and it doesn’t matter how open he is. I’m sure this isn’t news to defensive players or coordinators. 

This is a good take. Some of Davis's best plays are when Allen scrambles and Davis makes a crazy difficult catch on the sideline. 

Davis is maddening because as much as people hate him for his drops you have to note he has had some amazing difficult catches in big games. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, NakedSquid said:

So as I've said during all the Gabe hate, he keeps getting open it's Dorsey (and Allen) not going to him. Read the analysis... 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2023/11/8/23951740/all-22-analysis-buffalo-bills-wr-gabe-davis-vs-the-cincinnati-bengals-nfl-week-9-snf

Dorsey calls plays like he's playing Madden.  Rather than having play groupings that look the same and lure defense into mistakes he just calls the plays that they like and expects the Allen Show to win out.  Plays designed for 1 (maybe) 2 guys.  Half field reads ... I know this is an effort to get Allen throwing quicker and maybe these losses are the growing pains of making Allen a complete QB.

Yuo, another aspect of his many fatal flaws. ONE of them, such as this one in itself, would be enough to get most OC fired, but Dorsey has a slew. Somehow he learned almost nothing about the important big picture aspects of creating a good offense, the things just below that, and the small details despite many years of NFL experience. Dumb, lazy, careless?? Something else? Hard to tell, but the flaws are all out there now for all the world to see, no matter what McDermott or Tasker say.  They know like we know. 

Utterly shocking that he became the OC, that he remained so for this year--but much much worse, that he is still on the job as I type this.

7 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Play # 5 he is def not open. Play # 6 Allen makes the right read to Kincaid who just happens to fumble. The INT is debatable that if he leads it out there the safety doesn't get over the top. So really only 3 of these plays including the curl was he wide ass open. 

In high school maybe. With his arm that’s nfl open. 

7 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Yeah “open all day” and yet…

IMG_6710.jpeg

they must average in the plays he run blocks 😉 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

fwiw, Gabe got an earful from my couch when the ball hit the ground.

I thought he absolutely should have attacked that route upfield.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

What you really notice from the end zone replay is that Josh was definitely NOT throwing the ball away. Even after letting it go he continued to look downfield expecting that Gabe would be there. Absolutely horrible call. 

4 hours ago, Santana said:

All of these issues would be fixed if they just had a run game. For the love of me I don't understand how the Bills make running the football the most difficult task in the world. It's actually impressive in the most frustrating way possible.

It is more difficult to have a good running game as a good one means many options in line formations and plays. There is no way Dorsey can handle that--he struggles with the simplest of things when it comes to offense.

I honestly believe Dorsey simply does not know what to do, somehow did not acquire this knowledge in all of his years in the NFL.

10 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

At this point we should be thankful that Beane didn't give Davis a ridiculous extension yet but obviously not really possible given the pending salary cap nightmare this team is facing next year.

But at the same time I won't be surprised when he leaves Buffalo in the offseason and explodes with a new team next year, probably with Andy Reid and Mahomes in KC knowing this teams luck.

Who is we Miami fan?

8 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Yuo, another aspect of his many fatal flaws. ONE of them, such as this one in itself, would be enough to get most OC fired, but Dorsey has a slew. Somehow he learned almost nothing about the important big picture aspects of creating a good offense, the things just below that, and the small details despite many years of NFL experience. Dumb, lazy, careless?? Something else? Hard to tell, but the flaws are all out there now for all the world to see, no matter what McDermott or Tasker say.  They know like we know. 

Utterly shocking that he became the OC, that he remained so for this year--but much much worse, that he is still on the job as I type this.

As someone else pointed out, if Davis is open and Josh is not throwing to him, how exactly is that he OC's fault? His job is to scheme players open - which according to you seems to have been done with Davis - not actually throw the ball (that is on Josh).

There are definitely issues with Dorsey's play calling at times. IMO, but blaming him for Josh not throwing to an open* Davis seems a little odd

*Also as pointed out up-thread, Davis was not as open on all of those plays as people are suggesting - at least before Josh got rid of the ball 

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

• Davis has good game.  
  • Rinse and Repeat.

This sounds like the Ryan Fitzpatrick magic circle 🤔

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.