My theory: McDermott never liked Daboll's high flying offense, but had to go along with it

TheFunPolice

52 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This is the same coach that thought Petermann was an NFL caliber starting QB.  I'm convinced he doesn't know a thing about QB's.

Can you blame him though?  Peterman tore up McDs prized defense in practice.  He had to think Peterman was a god.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

At the risk of sounding like a loon is there a possibility that McD benches Allen?  Hear me out here:  McD could approach Bean and argue that Allen's shoulder needs to heal fully so why not sit him for a couple of weeks. 

Remember McD is the man who benched Tyrod to go with the worst QB who has ever started a game in the NFL.  Peterman threw FIVE INT's in the first half, an NFL record.  McD then double downed on that decision and declared Peterman the starter over Allen the next year only to see Peterman set another NFL record for bad QB play - 9 straight possessions without getting a 1st down.  Then McD was forced to throw Allen to the wolves the next week and start him against a very good Charger D.  And don't forget that because of McD's infatuation with the worst QB to ever start an NFL game Allen missed taking most of the 1st team reps in Training Camp & the preseason games.

McD doesn't have a clue about QB's and I wouldn't put it past him to try to pull off a stunt like this.

And that's when if I'm Allen I go to Terry and say either he goes or I do. 

8 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Last 5? Did you get drunk and watch 2021 three times or something?

Well not number one seed top of the league...

What are we at... Three straight AFC East championships? 4 playoffs in 5 years and 5 of 6?

Two 13 win seasons .... I bet we're top 3-4 in wins if you go back 5 seasons That's pretty top of the league

I didn't mean number one seed every year

Minus super bowls we definitely have more wins than most franchises over the last 4-5 years

Edited by Buffalo716

I've criticized McDermott for a lot of things. Wanting a balanced offense is not one of them. A balanced offense beats the Bengals on Sunday night. Five years of shuffling around different RBs, offensive linemen, schemes, and they've never been able to get the running game right.

Let's assume for a moment you are right. Maybe he was traumatized by 13 seconds. An Andy Reid type coach would say what a great game. A McD would be terrified because neither D could stop the offenses. Gives some credence to wanting to play "complementary football" ie don't score so fast that you wear out your defense. I think he's more Parcells like in that approach.

8 hours ago, NoSaint said:

what type of football do you think he’s referring to when saying complementary football? 

ball control and lower scoring old school wins 

or 

High flying so the defense can forget about the run aka Indy with Payton and the tampa 2?

I take it like this - if the defense gives up a score, the offense needs to make up for that and score also. Same if the offense goes 3 and out, the defense needs to make a stop. I don't take it as, let's run the ball and keep the score low. Imo he means that both sides of the ball need to play balanced and can't solely rely on one side to win the game 

4 hours ago, Steptide said:

I take it like this - if the defense gives up a score, the offense needs to make up for that and score also. Same if the offense goes 3 and out, the defense needs to make a stop. I don't take it as, let's run the ball and keep the score low. Imo he means that both sides of the ball need to play balanced and can't solely rely on one side to win the game 

That's exactly what it means and it's a term that all coaches started using a few years ago. Before that, they would say something like "we need to execute in all three phases." 

8 hours ago, Steptide said:

I think he would like to see his defense face 7 drives instead of 9 drives 

4 hours ago, boater said:

OP gets points for honestly calling it a theory.

It would be an insult to language to offer so much imaginative conjecture as fact.

Hey, it's just a theory and worth what you paid for it!

I think my OP got more different types of reactions than I've ever seen. That wasn't my goal, though. I think my theory accounts for a lot of what we've seen over the past couple of years. 

It is, as you say, simply conjecture though. 

On 11/7/2023 at 2:21 PM, BillsFan692 said:

There are two lines and you need to start reading between them.

Every single time McD says "balance" every time he says "two dimensional" every time he says "complimentary football" he is telling you CONSERVATIVE. 

What does balance mean? It means run more. What does 2 dimensional mean? It means run more. What does "complimentary football" mean? When sean says it he means long, methodical drives that chew up clock and keep his defense off the field.  CONSERVATIVE.

There is a reason why Bills are always in nail biters. CONSERVATIVE!

I agree but man he sure has a way with not letting that happen with the backs this team drafts and signs! Singletary and Cook 2 bkup caliber backs and all the old men they signed here just straight up McBeane has no clue what a real elite running back looks like. Did u see Keaton Mitchell the other day 138yds on 9 totes that’s a undrafted free agents that’s already much better then our 2nd rd bk will ever be. 

17 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I agree but man he sure has a way with not letting that happen with the backs this team drafts and signs! Singletary and Cook 2 bkup caliber backs and all the old men they signed here just straight up McBeane has no clue what a real elite running back looks like. Did u see Keaton Mitchell the other day 138yds on 9 totes that’s a undrafted free agents that’s already much better then our 2nd rd bk will ever be. 

Its our offensive line mostly. Our blocking schemes for the running game are awful and our linemen are basically mid to bottom tier.

It's well documented Daboll & McD never got along. And if this theory is true, it only further validates why I can't stand McDermott.  You have a good OC who mentors & molds Josh from a raw Wyoming qb to a superstar.  What makes absolutely no sense to me is if McD wanted more "balance", why did he fail in drafting a better OL over the last 7 years. Our running game had no chance.  There's very little innovative about McD, and Dorsey reflects that.  Both must go.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.