Why is this team so flat??

Thrivefourfive

1 hour ago, Thrivefourfive said:

The Cincinnati game should have been a Super Bowl effort. Avenge TWO games last year, and you have a week and a half to prepare after a Thursday home game.

But this is a game performance that is scary looking right now. There’s no great prior playoff success that can be summoned to excuse the players’ lack of energy and the awful coaching. The Bills haven’t played exciting football for way too long. It looks like the dog days of summer out there right now. 

They got bullied again. All those dudes in that locker room okay with this?? 

1. The players that have money are playing like they don’t need anymore of it

2. The coaches hate each other. McD called out Dorsey in the halftime interview. He needs to make a change and bring in a game caller with decades of experience. Stop the JV experiment with Dorsey.

3. Would a terrible HC be terrible if they have Josh Allen? Isn’t Allen the quality of QB that wins 10-12 games a win regardless of his coach? Why do I always feel like he needs to be coached to the teeth to be a successful player..? The top two or three QBs in the league over the past two decades won every year regardless or receiving corps, runningbacks, Olines, defenses, and coaches. 

I'm not sure if it's coaching or something is just going on with Allen, even if the playcalling is trash Allen should be able to find the targets, I did see him run out of the pocket after it collapsed a few times but I thought for the most part the OL held up quite well. Something just seems really off with Allen, I just don't see that same fire he had over on the sideline pumping up the offense, I know the coaching staff said settle down on the running so you dont get injured but I doubt they told him never to run. Something is clearly wrong and only Allen himself would probably know that. All we have to hope is that he figures it out quickly!

I respectfully disagree with the premise of this thread.  Unlike the playoff game in Buffalo, the effort was there tonight.  The Josh INT and Kincaid fumble were killers, and we could not overcome one of the worst reffing jobs I've ever seen.  Lastly, McDummy threw dirt on the coffin with horribly bad in-game decision making (not taking the holding penalty, pussing out at the end of the first half, the challenge which cost us a timeout that we needed).  The effort was there, we just weren't good enough to overcome our reffing and coaching handicaps.

• Agree 2

Before the game if someone told you this:

Drive 1 TD.

Drive 9 TD.

Drives 2-8, punt, pick, punt, end of half, FG, punt, fumble.  7 drives 3 points, 2 turnovers, 3 points against off turnovers. 

You would likely conclude the Bills would have been blown out. The fact it was a game with 3 minutes to go shows just how close this team was to winning. Unfortunately another game with zero defensive turnovers and too many turnovers.

Edited by Dr.Sack
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Been this way since 13 seconds. 

This honestly can not be emphasized enough.  When was the right time to fire the coaches?  After this.  Yes hindsight is 20 20 but that is the real answer as we see it now (and some then).  I don't necessarily agree with them doing it at that point being what they had accomplished to that point.  However, there is a point where I think you have to decide when you have a talent like Josh Allen, at what floor do you consider firing them finally?  I would say missing the playoffs would be the key to the exit door.  That's just mho, not what I think really happens 

36 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Offense came out hot tonight, but Dorsey decided to put the brakes on them after the first drive and slowed the tempo to molasses pace.  When he does that, Josh seems to fall into a sort of malaise and stops processing quickly, holds the ball forever and eventually scrambles right and throws the ball away.  It's the same script over and over again.

What? The second drive we called 2 runs and took 2 deep shots before getting to 3rd down where we took yet another shot we didn’t connect on.

On the third drive Allen threw the ball deep to a double well covered Harty when he had Kincaid and Diggs wide open. Then threw a terrible interception with Cook all alone. 

After completing zero passes in two drives  we went run, run, pass on the 4th drive.

Allens game has always been hot and cold. 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We peaked at :13.  It's as simple as that.  

Every time I post something about :13 I get flamed, but I think that Sean lost this team and the fan base in those 13 seconds and in his complete and utter failure to own it.  He fired the special teams coach, that's it?

Good coaching leadership could have prevented the window from slamming shut in the aftermath of that debacle.  But with Sean, all he talks about is "complementary football" and "getting the offense in a rhythm."

COMPLEMENTARY FOOTBALL?  WTF DOES THAT EVEN MEAN? 

• Agree 1

For some God forsaken reason we dont stick to the hurry up offense. Josh AND McDermott both said they didn't know why we didn't stick with the hurry up, which means Dorsey is the culprit.

We need to stay in 11 personnel and run the ball more and play with urgency.

The defense is basically playing backups in the back seven and DT 1

4 hours ago, Simon said:

I think you're kinda nuts on that one. Those boys brought it tonight.

They didn't play well enough but they played hard enough.

Totally agree. This wasn't the playoff game where the Bills sleepwalked around. They tried their asses off last night. The defense especially who added the three long term losses lost Bernard and Benford relatively early. 

Did they make some execution errors? Yes. Were there some frustrating play calls on both sides? Yes. But this was a game in which the Bills really, really tried against a more talented team. Unfortunately they couldn't get it done.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The defense is missing the key playmakers. Joseph and Douglas should help once they get integrated fully but they miss Milano, Tre and Jones. 

The offense is playing scared at times and not attacking combined with some bad playcalls and in the case of the Bengals game a really costly fumble by Kincaid. 

I think the Bills can overcome this bad stretch but the next two weeks are must wins. Get to 7-4 and see what happens. 

It’s because Dorsey is in over his head and has no idea what he is doing. We are 9 weeks in plus last season and this offense still has no identity. Dorsey has a bad design for our QB and personnel and can’t fix it. 

this should have been apparent when he gets players he has no idea what to do with. We got Hines last season and he had no idea what to do with him. We got Kincaid this season and couldn’t get him involved until he was forced to. 

idgaf. I will argue with anyone who thinks Dorsey isn’t the problem. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

COMPLEMENTARY FOOTBALL?  WTF DOES THAT EVEN MEAN? 

I think it means when we play well enough to be complemented. You know, like "Good game." or "Nice one fellas."

5 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

2. The coaches hate each other. McD called out Dorsey in the halftime interview. He needs to make a change and bring in a game caller with decades of experience. Stop the JV experiment with Dorsey.

If this is true, this is big news

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

It’s because Dorsey is in over his head and has no idea what he is doing. We are 9 weeks in plus last season and this offense still has no identity. Dorsey has a bad design for our QB and personnel and can’t fix it. 

this should have been apparent when he gets players he has no idea what to do with. We got Hines last season and he had no idea what to do with him. We got Kincaid this season and couldn’t get him involved until he was forced to. 

idgaf. I will argue with anyone who thinks Dorsey isn’t the problem. 

I think it may be Mr. 13 seconds who’s the problem. Micromanaging the offense where he has no expertise? Does anybody believe we’ll win a SB with McD. Mr. 13 seconds comes up small in big spots. 

• Eyeroll 1

33 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

I think it may be Mr. 13 seconds who’s the problem. Micromanaging the offense where he has no expertise? Does anybody believe we’ll win a SB with McD. Mr. 13 seconds comes up small in big spots. 

You have no idea if McD is touching the offense and frankly after his press conference comments I don’t  think so.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.