Random thoughts on the Bengals game

Simon

Just now, strive_for_five_guy said:

Well Kincaid also fumbled at the ten and we got screwed on at least a few calls by the refs.  So I’d argue it truly was a close game.

I'm not in on the refs fixed the game crew, if there is one lol, but you do jave a point we got screwed on 2 big calls almost back to back.  Oh well

1 minute ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Well Kincaid also fumbled at the ten and we got screwed on at least a few calls by the refs. 

I know but the flow of the game changes how each team plays. When the Bengals needed to put a drive together to close out the game, they moved the ball with ease. Our final TD drive took a lot of time off the clock - this was by design, Cincy was conceding those areas of the field. At no point did I really think we had approached anything close to a 50/50 game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Einstein said:

And one of those were deep in Bengals territory!

It has been over a month since we last forced an INT. We really need to create some more turnovers of our own, while reducing the turnovers we … well …  turn over.

It’s incredible we kept the game so close. I was also happy to see shades of the 2021 offense come out with the Allen designed run and the quick hitters in the 4th quarter. Where was that all game!?

The D has forced only one TO in the last 4 games and that was the great play by Poyner against NE to punch the ball out. 

We are reaching the point in the season where they will have to take the chance and unleash Allen.  The hurry up and Allen's threat to run have led to highly productive 4th quarters against the Jags, NE, and the Bengal's tonight.  It also led to a very productive 1st half and 1st 3rd quarter series against TB.  When the O is playing in this way they're a handful for any D.  The stubbornness of the Bills brain trust not to make this change full time is maddening.

• Agree 3

And here I thought I was the most positive here.

The OP found more hope than I can tonight.  I appreciate it.

There is a scenario where we can get back on track.  But I can't give them that benefit of the doubt right now.  I don't even know who this team is at the moment.  

If the call would have been made for the blatant tripping we probably would have walked away with score. if the call would have been made for the face-mask pass interference we would have had first down on the one. Despite our offensive woes this game was winnable but it seemed every big call (or no call) went against us.

Currently there is no team in the AFC looking like a world beater so I haven't given up hope yet. Everyone looks flawed.

Dolphins still have to play Cowboys, Ravens, Jets, Raiders, Titans, Commanders  and us.

Bills still have to play Broncos Jets, Cowboys, Philly, Chargers, Patriots and  Dolphins.

Winning the AFC east is still attainable. We win against jets, chargers pats and dolphins and the afc east is probably ours.

Edited by steven50
they was supposd to be the
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Simon said:

> The DLine is going to take a ton of flak, but they won the trench most of the night. That ball was gone as soon as his back foot hit and they knew they were going to keep having success attacking the Bills "linebackers" and struggling safeties as soon as Bernard went down.

> There are too many good players on this team to look like that over extended stretches. This is not as well-coached a team as it should be, particularly on offense. I don't want to see anybody fired tomorrow, but I would not shed any tears if they went in a different direction at OC this offseason.

Good post but I wholeheartedly agree with especially these two points. Burrow was getting rid of the ball very very quickly. An adjustment to the D was warranted but we kept giving up big plays at critical times. 

Incredibly frustrating game. A Bengals fan hosted me for the game and is anything he was being kind to me. I don't know when I will get the opportunity to return the favor. 

19 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

It hasn't gone unnoticed yet again that Josh's INTs seem to happen when he's targeting Davis.  

the second he let that ball go and u see where the defender was u could see what was going to happen.   throw a rainbow to the far shoulder....those late flat passes are just ducks waiting to be picked.   

Spencer Brown man. Good lord. I don't even know what you do at this point but he has far more extreme highs and lows than JA.

Sticking with the o-line, they did this nice little blurp on how great Dion has been this year (agreed), and as soon as it was over Hendrickson got a sack. Couldn't have been more billsy timing. In fairness Dion still did his initial job on that play and then everything broke down and Trey got him from behind, but the old Bills fan in me felt the gut punch when that happened

I really thought the defense played great all things considered given the situations this offense, and special teams put them in. 

You have to score more than 18 points in this league. Hopefully they can work things out and go on a run. The division is very much still in play but our remaining schedule is a gauntlet. 

• Agree 1

The first down bomb to a well-covered, vertically-challenged Deonte Harty just broke me.  That was it for me with Dorsey.  I don’t expect others to share my opinion and that’s fine, I’m just one fan.  But that playcall at that time in that situation, with the game flow going like it was going (Bills needing to monetize every possession) showed me forever that Ken Dorsey lacks the strategic acumen to be a good OC. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The first down bomb to a well-covered, vertically-challenged Deonte Harty just broke me.  That was it for me with Dorsey.  I don’t expect others to share my opinion and that’s fine, I’m just one fan.  But that playcall at that time in that situation, with the game flow going like it was going (Bills needing to monetize every possession) showed me forever that Ken Dorsey lacks the strategic acumen to be a good OC. 

That’s called stopping yourself.  You roll down the field on 1st drive taking the underneath stuff to Diggs, Kincaid and shakir then decide to start throwing the ball downfield to harty and gabe on next drive.   Stick with what’s working until the other team stops it.  

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Linval Joseph’s stuff of Burrow and subsequent body slam was friggin beautiful and really changed the tone of the game for the defense.  It’s too bad the offense was brutal for the majority of the game because that was winnable.  

No real excuse for this offense to be stuck in the mud so often. They need to figure it out.

If it wasn't mentioned before I want to point out Taylor made a stupid 2nd half challenge too.  Challenging the spot on one of those Allen QB sneak pile of players where its almost impossible to see where the ball ended up.  It was pretty obvious the play would stand as called.  And the Bengal blew their other 2 time outs avoiding delay of game calls as the clock was running low.  Nobody's going to question the Bengals HC or their misuse of time outs because at the end of the day results matter and everyone picks apart the execution and game calls from that perspective.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.