The Big Lie we were fed that McDermott is a disciplined, prepared, hard worker

HomeskillitMoorman

55 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It's amazing that at a time when we have the winningest team in franchise history that we still have endless complainers who would find something to complain about no matter what would happen.

Honestly, get a life dude. Go find a hobby.

A lot of football to be played.

In your mind, is it a forgone conclusion we make the playoffs? 

If we don’t, would that change your perspective? 

I look at our deepest run we had under McDermott era, he had 2 established coordinators in Frazier and Daboll, although some will argue not the best. This year he opted to take the DC job on himself and has an overwhelmed OC. I think he just bit off more than he could chew trying to manage the whole show and is neglecting the little things a head coach should be doing, which shows in the clock management and lack of discipline and penalties.

35 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Rex Ryan was able to achieve more success in the postseason with Mark Sanchez at QB than McDermott has with Josh Allen....maybe let's try to keep that in mind when we start talking about ridiculous takes.

What? No he didn’t. They went exactly the same distance - AFCCG. Difference is that the Rex team collapsed soon after the 2010 season while McD has kept our guys competitive. 

2 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

The proof is in the pudding on how untrue all of this has always been. Being good at game and time management is all about hard work and preparation. Same with being composed in big moments and at the end of games and your players understanding end of game situations. 

This guy still makes the same exact mistakes he did in his rookie head coach season from 6 years ago. He literally hasn't learned a thing. Our players are clueless and undisciplined in big moments in the game. Look at last night's Hail Mary. It's not like we've been burned before on those in McD's tenure. It shouldn't even take that because a  good head coach prepares for situations that they haven't even been burned by. With 13 seconds, I found it absurd that people were giving him the excuse of that being a learning experience when any head coach at any level should know what to do there. I'm not sure anything would even change if we were in that situation again given what we've seen from these other scenarios. 

The scapegoating of other coaches has also been the mantra of McD's apologists. It was Frazier that was too soft and conservative with "his" defense...McD is the head coach. He has YEARS to change anything he didn't like about what was supposedly Frazier's defense or replace him or take over himself. The fact is it's HIS defense because it's HIS team. It's the same with the offense. We keep seeing these shotgun runs on goaline situations that are repeated disasters. Yes Dorsey is a big problem...but who is letting him be that? McD hears those playcalls and is on the line, he can interject anytime he wants to. He is NOT a helpless bystander. It's HIS team. If he can't handle all of that, then guess what, that means he can't handle all of the responsibilities of a Head Coach. 

The majority of coaches in this league could have won the last few years with the talent we've had. The good ones probably could have won a SB. We still have a guy that after all these years still craps his pants and takes these horrible defensive timeouts when the opposition's offense is scrambling to get the next play off as time is winding down to give them time to compose themselves. That happens because again he is completely unprepared for those moments in the game.  Preparation takes discipline and hard work. 

I remember during this whole regime all of these propaganda articles about how disciplined, gritty, and hard working this guy is. What an absolute joke. A hard worker would show a significant amount of improvement as a coach throughout all of these years. I agree with people that Andy Reid didn't work hard to improve his time and game management skills either. But the comparisons to him are ridiculous too when Reid went to what, 4 NFC championships and a Superbowl in his first 6 years?? With a lesser QB. What are we even talking about here? 

I'm glad a growing number of people here are actually willing to see this right now rather than just blindly defending him like what's been going on for years here. When does the "he'll learn from this" excuse for the same mistakes over and over and over expire? In year 10? Year 20? 

I hope there's some kind of miracle and he somehow "gets it", but when he hasn't done a thing to put in the slightest bit of work to improve himself over the last 6 years, it's hard to believe it's going to happen mid-season. I hope the talent wins out enough for us to compete...but sadly we're not winning a SB with this guy now or ever. 

You should reconsider starting threads.  Better off just posting your opinion on one of the other stupid threads

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

My only issue with Tomlin is like... why is the offense SO bad for SO long?  5 straight years of bad offense now.  

And it is certainly not an asterisk... but his one SB win was the year brady blew out his knee and they got to avoid manning because of the chargers.  

Bad QB play, poor talent pipeline, and poor hiring decisions at coordinator

7 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

What? No he didn’t. They went exactly the same distance - AFCCG. Difference is that the Rex team collapsed soon after the 2010 season while McD has kept our guys competitive. 

Except he did it back to back. McDermott went once in 6 years.

Edited by BullBuchanan

2 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

The proof is in the pudding on how untrue all of this has always been. Being good at game and time management is all about hard work and preparation. Same with being composed in big moments and at the end of games and your players understanding end of game situations. 

This guy still makes the same exact mistakes he did in his rookie head coach season from 6 years ago. He literally hasn't learned a thing. Our players are clueless and undisciplined in big moments in the game. Look at last night's Hail Mary. It's not like we've been burned before on those in McD's tenure. It shouldn't even take that because a  good head coach prepares for situations that they haven't even been burned by. With 13 seconds, I found it absurd that people were giving him the excuse of that being a learning experience when any head coach at any level should know what to do there. I'm not sure anything would even change if we were in that situation again given what we've seen from these other scenarios. 

The scapegoating of other coaches has also been the mantra of McD's apologists. It was Frazier that was too soft and conservative with "his" defense...McD is the head coach. He has YEARS to change anything he didn't like about what was supposedly Frazier's defense or replace him or take over himself. The fact is it's HIS defense because it's HIS team. It's the same with the offense. We keep seeing these shotgun runs on goaline situations that are repeated disasters. Yes Dorsey is a big problem...but who is letting him be that? McD hears those playcalls and is on the line, he can interject anytime he wants to. He is NOT a helpless bystander. It's HIS team. If he can't handle all of that, then guess what, that means he can't handle all of the responsibilities of a Head Coach. 

The majority of coaches in this league could have won the last few years with the talent we've had. The good ones probably could have won a SB. We still have a guy that after all these years still craps his pants and takes these horrible defensive timeouts when the opposition's offense is scrambling to get the next play off as time is winding down to give them time to compose themselves. That happens because again he is completely unprepared for those moments in the game.  Preparation takes discipline and hard work. 

I remember during this whole regime all of these propaganda articles about how disciplined, gritty, and hard working this guy is. What an absolute joke. A hard worker would show a significant amount of improvement as a coach throughout all of these years. I agree with people that Andy Reid didn't work hard to improve his time and game management skills either. But the comparisons to him are ridiculous too when Reid went to what, 4 NFC championships and a Superbowl in his first 6 years?? With a lesser QB. What are we even talking about here? 

I'm glad a growing number of people here are actually willing to see this right now rather than just blindly defending him like what's been going on for years here. When does the "he'll learn from this" excuse for the same mistakes over and over and over expire? In year 10? Year 20? 

I hope there's some kind of miracle and he somehow "gets it", but when he hasn't done a thing to put in the slightest bit of work to improve himself over the last 6 years, it's hard to believe it's going to happen mid-season. I hope the talent wins out enough for us to compete...but sadly we're not winning a SB with this guy now or ever. 

Idiots everywhere!

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You should reconsider starting threads.  Better off just posting your opinion on one of the other stupid threads

I did at your advice take an introspective look and reconsidered...but decided to in the future start a thread (which I rarely do anyway) if I have something different to share, even if you feel it's not. Thanks for the feedback though. 

3 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Probably a Bengals fan. Possibly a Chiefs fan. Either way, clueless.

If I was a Bengals or Chiefs fan, why in the world would I be upset about the Bills having a coach that would be my team's whipping boy?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

You have to be joking, right? 

Zoe had his best years under McDermott, Poyer was a no body on the Browns, Adolphis Washington, Ramon Humber, Preston Brown, EJ Gaines.... Jerry Hughes had his best years under McDermott..

a "Very talented defense" is absolutely laughable.

mcdermott didn't bring those players in - 

he had hughes, white, hyde, poyer, lawson was good.

the bills have over invested in defense and missed a whole bunch.

36 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Pre McDermott (2016 starters):

image.png.a29b9b4d3d6b311405d08baad6758b3f.png 

McDermott (2017 starters):

image.png.a9825c99f70d6d677a1ab65abad92d2e.png

Who did they inherit exactly?  Not like most teams don't have players that can play in place already when a new coach is hired.

willams, lawson, alexander, hughes, brown.

whaley brought in hyde, poyer, white, and gaines fall under the GM.

42 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I think he does, yes. 

Good on ya! 😁👍🍺

8 minutes ago, boyst said:

willams, lawson, alexander, hughes, brown.

whaley brought in hyde, poyer, white, and gaines fall under the GM.

White…. No…Whales got the chop the day after the draft so he isn’t making the calls ..

Not sure what the story is with Hyde and Poyer’s recruitment and I doubt anyone here knows for sure …

Edited by Aussie Joe

41 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

He's had Joe Flacco, Zach Wilson and Mike White as his QBs during that time. He's far better than McDermott at team and gameday management.

Just curious - can you provide any objective evidence to substantiate that?  Or are we living in the land of TLAR (that looks about right)?

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

He's had Joe Flacco, Zach Wilson and Mike White as his QBs during that time. He's far better than McDermott at team and gameday management.

Zach Wilson was a highly touted #2 overall pick.  Now I'm of the opinion that the player makes the biggest difference, not the coaching.  But you can't act like a player succeeds with a bad coach.  He's the only HC Wilson's ever had.

So talent evaluation was wrong - he was not deserving of the #2 pick.  HOWEVER - Saleh shouldn't get a pass either.  He's a worse player than he was at the start, and that to me comes down to coaching at some level.  

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Manning didnt win a SB until 9 years in.   Brees 9 years, Favre 6, Elway 14.  Marino and Rivers never won one.

Super Bowls are hard to win, even when you have a great QB.  30 of 32 teams are eliminated every year.  

The NFL has had 521 different coaches in it's history, only 35 have won a Superbowl.    Essentially you have a 6% chance of hiring a head coach who will help win you a Superbowl.    Teams only have a 43% chance of making the playoffs. You wanna play the field or keep the guy who has brought you to the playoffs all but one year of his career here?

When a team starts the year they have a 3% chance of winning the Super Bowl.   But this board acts like it should be a given because we have Josh Allen.

You'd think a fan base who watched a team miss the playoffs 17 straight years would act less entitled.   But instead it's a parade of petulance around here.

And all those quarterbacks you mentioned finally won it with a different coach. Michael Jordan, greatest NBA star of all time was a perennial loser. He never won a ring for several years because he had a horrible coach. In comes Phil Jackson as his new coach. Then BOOM! Multiple championships for the Chicago Bulls.

3 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Yes, the winningest coach in franchise history has gotten there through his lax approach and lack of discipline.  This team is so woefully unprepared that we have routinely beat the NFL's best teams in big moments.  McD has basically sleepwalked into being a perennial playoff team and super bowl contender.  Its only because he met his match in the utterly incompetent Andy Reid that he hasn't pathetically bottomed out with a lombardi trophy.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.