Joe Marino says all-22 Review shows Josh deserves a lot of blame for Pats Loss

Thurman#1

I agree with a lot of this, the average time to throw was a bit inflated by a handful of jailbreak scenarios where he had to run around like an idiot though. 

the giants game felt a lot more like josh was a victim than this one to me.  I think the delayed blitzes the last few weeks have him rattled and he’s completely lost faith in his internal clock 

it all kind of goes hand in hand, if the offensive line holds up a little better josh will improve and if josh plays a little better the offensive line will improve 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

2 hours ago, Beast said:

It’s totally up to him but we may have seen the best of Josh Allen.

Put allen in a scheme that compliments his skill set and uncuff him and allen will shoot to the top of the qb rankings just like that.....this offense is a foreign offense to allen and one that is counterproductive to allot of the things allen excels at.....should have drafted a pocket passer with a fast release if this is what our offense was gonna look like lol

Edited by Billever76
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree. And if they miss the playoffs with Josh Allen even if you don't think it is necessarily McDermott and Beane's "fault" per se if Josh is regressing you have to try a new regime in the hope it reinvigorates him. I agree with that. But you also have to go into that saying "it has 2 years to work, or else we have to look elsewhere at what the problem is."

I don’t think he’s regressing…he’s had these issues forever but he’s been playing under ideal circumstances in the regular season a much higher percentage of the time up until this point.  I think he’s actually playing a little bit better under these circumstances than before honestly.  Usually when his internal clock gets scrambled like it has been and he loses confidence we are absolutely dreadful 

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Somehow quoted myself and can’t delete it 😂

54 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I would argue he'd be better off working on his mental lapses, as one would expect players at other positions to do.

i’d counter that we’d be trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. It’s year six for Allen. I think he’d have figured that out by now if it was something he could do with any kind of consistency.

If we know, he’s not gonna be consistent with the mental aspects of the game, then why reign in his athleticism?

2 hours ago, Beast said:

Nah. Not at this point. Josh Allen is a veteran QB. You can’t have games against Miami when he decides to take what is given and multiple games like the Patriots game where it’s his way and not the team way. You can’t freaking tell me it’s not being drummed into his head to take the hot WR time and time again.

This is becoming a Josh Allen problem and Ken Dorsey appears to be the whipping boy for it.

Ken dorsey has put allen into a scheme that is Ken dorseys vision...this playbook is not how you use a Josh allen type qb...it's made for the Mac jones,baker mayfields,tuas and other quick release pocket passers...it's no wonder allen is struggling in it...a good coach designs a scheme that compliments the strengths of its top players.....ours sadly does not...it's the old stubborn coaching putting players into their system and demanding change in how the players have played ball since high school 😆 

• Disagree 2

With all this said, I think a large part of this is on Beane. 

Allen feels like LeBron in Cleveland the first time around (and really the second as well) where they got him Diggs, and they simply don't have other weapons that scare you. 

I mean really, Emmanuel Sanders on the edge of retirement in 2021? The ghosts of Cole Beasley and John Brown brought back in 2022. Not drafting a single WR before Round 4 since 2017? 

Listen Beane's philosophy has been keep as much of the 2020-2022 Bills on this roster as possible. So we're paying Oliver, paying Poyer, paying Tre White, paying Milano, paying Hyde, paying Von, paying Allen, paying Dawkins, paying Morse, paying Knox and so on. 

Beane has done a good job with the limited space he's had to cram is as many NFL veterans as he can around these larger contracts - David Edwards, Leonard Floyd, Damien Harris, Taylor Rapp, Poona Ford. 

But the WRs in the draft didn't fall to the Bills, and FA was thin - so again the Bills remade their bottom 3 (Crowder, McKenzie, Kumerow) with another set of journeyman (Harty, Sherfield) and only have Shakir as a draft investment, unless you include Shorter who Beane noted was a project. 

There just aren't many WR playmakers on this team. And regardless of what betting odds tell you (Mike Schopp), the Bills are not the Chiefs.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

seems to me that the stuff over on the right was like his second or even third read, and by the time he looked over there, he was getting pressured.

I get the excuse but this is 3rd and goal. There’s 1 route possible to the left and the safety was sitting in the spot right from the snap. Backside they had a rub set for Knox. It was open. This is not a difficult read. This was a rookie play by the QB where he was 1 read and bail. Not good at all.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Allen to Chicago for first and third overall, first in 2025 and 26.

Draft Williams and Harrison.

Honestly, I’ve thought about that. We could probably get another pick or two out of that trade as well. Maybe another 1st. 

Bring in a new coach as well

• Eyeroll 1

31 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

But those weapons come at an expense.  If you need to surround the guy with multiple top weapons then maybe you shouldn't be paying him $250M.  Go get Brock Purdy

I wonder if niners fans are saying the opposite right now haha. They just lost to a Justin Jefferson-less Vikings team and the pj walker browns so they’re goin through it also right now 😂

A win ahead of us with easily the best roster in the nfl.  Kirk cousins curse means they ain’t appearing in the superbowl too haha nobody has ever lost to Kirk cousins and made a superbowl in the same year 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the issue is so beyond pointing out every single time it happens. 

We have an elite qb, we will live AND die with his play. 

Many have said he’s our Brett Favre. Simple, but very true. He’s a better Brett, don’t get me wrong. But he’s going to make mistakes and he’s going to have rotten games. 

Buckle up, this is our QB. Unfortunately, we had a lot of injuries, and those injuries have been to key players. Not many teams can take that kind of a lumping and keep going. For me, this season is not looking good. We lost last year when Von went out imo, and this year we lost when Tre, Milano, and Jones went out. Bums me out, but what can you do? We still have Josh in his prime. But things are only going to get more difficult as teams have definitely caught up. 

I also don’t feel good about Diggs going forward. I can’t see him being cool with a very bad season. Which this is a starting to look like. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mannc said:

I don’t think this take is inconsistent with my point…it’s still ultimately the coaches’ responsibility and they will suffer the consequences if Josh doesn’t turn it around. It will take a lot more than one mediocre season for Josh Allen to be on the ropes in Buffalo.

Are you seriously suggesting that Allen is nearing the point of being on the ropes in Buffalo?

First off by every QB/team metric available Allen is having a very good year.  Is he playing as well or as consistently as 2020 & 21?  No.  But he's still a top 10 and in most metrics a top 5 QB. 

Second,with all due respects to Joe Marino I'll wait to hear from a couple of other analysts like Greg Cosell & that guy who runs the QB University before I uncritically accept Marino's criticisms as being true or not overstated.

Edited by CincyBillsFan

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I wonder if niners fans are saying the opposite right now haha. They just lost to a Justin Jefferson-less Vikings team so they’re goin through it also right now 😂

A win ahead of us with easily the best roster in the nfl 

My point was not about them specifically, although they are banged up.

Just from a roster contractions stand point it's easier to create "the best roster in the NFL" when your not paying an elite QB.  The whole idea of the elite QB is to be able to lift up the lesser talent around them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Are you seriously suggesting that Allen is nearing the point of being on the ropes in Buffalo?

First off by every QB/team metric available Allen is having a very good year.  Is he playing as well or as consistently as 2020 & 21?  No.  But he's still a top 10 and in most metrics a top 5 QB. 

Second,with all due respects to Joe Marino I'll wait to hear from a couple of other analysts like Greg Cosell & that guy who runs the QB University before I uncritically accept Marino's criticisms as being true or not overstated.

The context gets lost when we’re losing and spiraling on this board.  Josh absolutely misses reads and doesn’t set the correct protections at times and misses throws but all the great qbs do.  People just don’t dig into the film of other teams much playing in non bills games 

can he improve absolutely, does he have inherent flaws that put him way behind other top qbs…I don’t think so 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Lol he’s running for his life half the game. Hot read? More like hot feet 

Marino's comments are sloppy IMO.  He calls out the O line and Cook's issues with picking up the blitz, factors know to create havoc with even the best QB's then lays the blame on Allen.

I suspect that Bellicheat looked at the tape and saw that Cook can't pick up the blitzer (something both Moss & Moter were very good at) and then ruthlessly exploited it.  I also suspect that with a few games tape in hand D coordinators are seeing some weaknesses in our new guards play and exploiting that.  And of course they already know where Brown can be exploited at RT.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

And this is where I think the loss of Daboll has effected him the most. Josh is still one of the best QB's in the game, top 3, but the loss of Daboll has taken it's toll on him in this area specifically. Just the breakdown of what he's seeing in front of him, things he and Daboll worked on prior to game day. 

good to read you mate. GO BILLS!

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The 49ers won with a QB like Joe Montana.  Then they switched it up, and won with a QB like Steve Young.

I think the Bills regime (former Panthers as we all know) is scared of watching their star QB have a shortened career like Cam Newton, and have decided to buckle-down on the unnecessary hits at all costs -- and we are seeing the early results.  

The problem is... instead of seeing a Cam Newton career arc, they are going to turn Allen into Russell Wilson.  An elite NFL quarterback until he stopped using his legs, and tried to become an immobile pocket passer.

Josh takes way more big hits while in the pocket because of inadequate offensive line play and the occasional hero-ball play than he does when running the ball.  The problem isn't the running, its not being smart about taking unnecessary hits.  Get out of bounds and slide to avoid big impacts.  Fixing that is a no-brainer.  Fixing the blocking is another story.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Why wouldn’t people “like” this thread? The fascination with Allen being “elite” has become quite pathetic.

who are you to call anyone pathetic?  you're the most petty poster on this board.  

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Allen to Chicago for first and third overall, first in 2025 and 26.

Draft Williams and Harrison.

I suck at recognizing sarcasm and this is sarcasm right????

But if you're serious and the Bill's put Allen on the market tomorrow he would command at a minimum THREE 1st round picks and probably a couple of 2nd rounders to.  And there would be 25 or more teams competing to make the trade.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.