Missed the game. Looking for a sober,accurate game recap. Maybe an impossible task. Can anyone help?

Logic

I missed the game yesterday. I never, ever, ever miss Bills games. On the rare occasions that I do, I used to be able to record them and watch them back later. No longer a possibility.

I already watched the highlights. I already read some of what's in the media about the game.

What I'm looking for is a sober, accurate recap of how the game really went from one of our many great posters here, who can keep emotion out of it to some degree. Not angry shouting and over-simplified Monday morning quarterback diatribes or crazy nonsense. I realize this may be an impossible task on this forum after a bad loss. But...I'm just very curious how this game went and how it wound up with the outcome it did.

What did the offense do well and not do well? Was Dorsey's playcalling and personnel usage diverse and interesting, or was it static and uncreative? Was the pass protection any good? How was the run game? How did Josh play? How did the defensive line do without Ed Oliver? Did Von Miller make any impact? Did Dorian Williams look decent? How did the corners play? Elam? Why were the Pats able to score so many points with such a moribund offense?

Any input and reasonable, non-emotionally-tinged information or recaps would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

to your last question (“Why were the Pats able to score so many points with such a moribund offense?”)…… it’s simple really.  We were gashed up the middle far too frequently, and got very little pressure on Mac Jones, allowing him time to go through his progressions.  Miller was invisible once again, and we seemed to miss Oliver and Daquan.

• Agree 1

It was a lot like last week, but the Pats got more TDs than the Giants did. Pats got the ball to start the game and drove for a FG. Josh threw an ugly pick on his first throw of the game and the Bills were down 10-0 before they ran a second play. Josh was inaccurate in the first half. Von Miller played 6 snaps the whole game. The defense looked pretty bad without Ed. Dorian Williams seems to been pulled at HT for some reason. I'll leave it more knowledgeable posters to talk about scheme, but we didn't use a lot motion on offense and fell for a lot of it on defense.

The Bills did play really well on offense in the 4th, once Josh was forced to run a 2 minute drill. They did allow Mac Jones to drive the whole field for a winning TD in less than 2 minutes, so there is that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Offense looked like crap again in the first half.  Allen throws a pick on the first play from scrimmage.  Pats lead 10-0 after the Bills ran a single offensive play(they got a FG on their opening drive).

Bills kicked into gear in the 2nd half but Pats looked like they were going to seal the game when they scored another TD to make it 22-10, Mac Jones tried a QB tush push but was stopped on the play from the 1/2 yard line after 2 penalties on the Bills on consecutive plays and the 2 point conversion failed. Allen then started coming alive and Diggs made a tremendous TD again pulling away from 2 defenders near the 10 yard line after making a sliding grab and popping back up before being touched.  Poyer punched the ball out after a Bourne catch early in the Pats next drive and Bernard recovered inside the Pats 35 yard line.  A few plays later, Allen got in from the 1/2 yard line on 2 tush pushes. Bills convert a 2 point conversion to take a 25-22 lead within 2 minutes(Like 1:48 left or something). 

Pats get the ball on their own 25 and on the first play Jones throws a swing pass to Stephenson that catches the D in a blitz and it goes for 38 yards down the sideline...flag on the play showed Patriot lineman 5 yards downfield before the pass was thrown, but inexplicably the refs huddled and picked up the flag allowing it to stand.  Bills kept allowing bullcrap nickel and dime passes to garbage receivers before the Pats finally threw a 1 yard TD to Giesicki with 12 seconds left.  Game, set, match.

Allen made a phenomenal throw to around the Pats 30 yard line on the first play of the final drive on a rope and Diggs made a diving attempt, had it, but the ball popped loose as he went to the ground...would have set up a final play from the Pats 30 with 5 seconds left as the Bills had a TO in their pocket.  Instead the final play Allen tries to run and then failed with the lateral backwards and the game ends.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

I missed the game yesterday. I never, ever, ever miss Bills games. On the rare occasions that I do, I used to be able to record them and watch them back later. No longer a possibility.

I already watched the highlights. I already read some of what's in the media about the game.

What I'm looking for is a sober, accurate recap of how the game really went from one of our many great posters here, who can keep emotion out of it to some degree. Not angry shouting and over-simplified Monday morning quarterback diatribes or crazy nonsense. I realize this may be an impossible task on this forum after a bad loss. But...I'm just very curious how this game went and how it wound up with the outcome it did.

What did the offense do well and not do well? Was Dorsey's playcalling and personnel usage diverse and interesting, or was it static and uncreative? Was the pass protection any good? How was the run game? How did Josh play? How did the defensive line do without Ed Oliver? Did Von Miller make any impact? Did Dorian Williams look decent? How did the corners play? Elam? Why were the Pats able to score so many points with such a moribund offense?

Any input and reasonable, non-emotionally-tinged information or recaps would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I feel like you are embarking on a psychological experiment here with this post.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah, good luck.  

Others will add more, but players like Rousseau, AJE, and Floyd were conspicuously quiet yesterday and were the ones that needed to step up.  Combined they had 0 sacks, 0 TFLs, and 1 QB Hit.  

Mac Jones went 25 of 30 for 272, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, and finished with a rating of 126.7, the third highest of his career.  Their running game was consistently effective.  

To pair with our 56-10 rout by them in 2007, another kick in the nuts and cherry on top for this game was Belichick's 300th victory.  So that's nice.  😳

Some still supporting Dorsey, but the offensive play-calling lacked imagination and creativity.  

Once again the team showed up seemingly sleepwalking into the game.  I don't think anyone would argue that.  

Our LBs faced a more traditional task yesterday and proved that they're not built for that.  McD's D schemes are built to rotate many players, as opposed to leaning more heavily on 11 starters, but if those players were not available to rotate, and of course Milano was out, you see the results.  

• Like (+1) 2

They started off painfully slow only scored 3 points. Pats offense wasn’t explosive but Mac Jones with literally no pass rush at all was efficient and his receivers pretty much caught everything.

The Bills when they finally realized hey we might lose to the Pats came alive. Allen in the second half was terrific his receivers were hit and miss. Dawson Knox had one of the worst drops of his career on 4th down that was huge. 

Still with the struggles they took a 3 point lead with under 2 minutes to go and then they let Mac Freaking Jones lead an 85 yard drive to win the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

What the offense did well: James Cook is a stud, Kincaid made plays, Diggs is one of the best

What the offense did not do well: Protection up front, key drops by Knox, Allen missed on some throws especially deep, stopped using Cook in the 2nd half, we have no NFL receivers aside from Diggs, too much shotgun

Defense - Not enough pressure on Jones, Miller is not there yet, Dorian Williams got benched, unit fell apart at the very end

Basically Pats beat us up in the trenches. That was a big factor in the outcome. Mac Jones played extremely well, hats off to him.

Patriots aren't a terrible team and absolutely needed a win.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Offense: A lot of execution errors. Cook and Kincaid played well. OL sucked at times. A lot of poorly timed drops, missed assignments, penalties. Otherwise this felt like a quality game plan.

Defense: Two problems:

1. Clearly missing Jones, Oliver, and Milano. We didn’t get much of anything from the front 7. 

2. Poor game plan. A lot of blitzing. We almost never got home. The secondary played a very soft zone, making it easy for Jones to pick us apart. We never adjusted. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Allen threw a pick on the 1st offensive play of the game - and I thought that really set the tone. It ended up putting us down 10-0, and we were battling to catch up the whole game after that.

The O-line, despite great strides this season, reverted to their worst version.  JA was harried all day. On the flip side, Mac Jones could fix a snack in the pocket he had all day.

And despite all that, we came back and took the lead with just under 2 minutes to go.  We could have held it or at least forced OT if we remembered how to tackle.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.