Roger Goodell said today's game was an experiment??

Bubba Gump

Just now, Augie said:

I’ve been to games in both places now, and I learned the Jags have as many or more fans in London as they do in Jacksonville. After all these years, what do you expect? A Bills “home game” my arse! 

Yeah, burning one of our home games is really the cherry on top of this sh!t sundae.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I’ve been to games in both places now, and I learned the Jags have as many or more fans in London as they do in Jacksonville. After all these years, what do you expect? A Bills “home game” my arse! 

Been saying this for years.  There’s so much wrong with the “expansion” of the NFL internationally.   But now, you have one team that plays there every year, and now multiple games in a row. Yet, the Bills have to consider that a home game?  The travel is bad, but making a team fly that far to play a team that’s been there, and calling that a home game is just wrong.  Bills fans travel well, and I’m sure people had a memorable trip. But the league basically craps on the fan bases of its franchises each year with this London series.  

if they want to expand internationally, then do it.  Create multiple teams in each country, and recreate the World Cup series… but expecting American teams to fly all over the globe to play home games is just *****.  But… they make a lot of money on it, so it’s ok. 

Now the Bills are tired, jet lagged, and injured.  And the league just moves on and glosses over all that is wrong with this situation. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, Dan said:

Been saying this for years.  There’s so much wrong with the “expansion” of the NFL internationally.   But now, you have one team that plays there every year, and now multiple games in a row. Yet, the Bills have to consider that a home game?  The travel is bad, but making a team fly that far to play a team that’s been there, and calling that a home game is just wrong.  Bills fans travel well, and I’m sure people had a memorable trip. But the league basically craps on the fan bases of its franchises each year with this London series.  

if they want to expand internationally, then do it.  Create multiple teams in each country, and recreate the World Cup series… but expecting American teams to fly all over the globe to play home games is just *****.  But… they make a lot of money on it, so it’s ok. 

Now the Bills are tired, jet lagged, and injured.  And the league just moves on and glosses over all that is wrong with this situation. 

I’m not kidding, they are losing me to some extent over this crap! I used to be an NFL fan, now I’m just a Bills fan. This should have been shut down as just plain stupid in the spitballing stage. They are trying to attract new fans, while sticking it to their core base. 

I had a buddy who never watched another NFL game after the strike season. I didn’t understand that at the time, but now I do. Sometimes it’s just the last straw, and people move on. I’m like that with the NBA. I loved it back in the Braves days, enjoyed it some thru the Jordan years. Now I wouldn’t go if you gave me free tickets, and for the last 5-10 years I don’t even watch the Finals. We spent big $$$ taking kids to games, and they would turn to me on a Tuesday in Charlotte and say “they’re not even trying!” Yep! The last straw. 

I have come to enjoy college sports more and more, both football and basketball. I have options. The NFL takes its popularity for granted. If I have to sign up for yet another streaming service like Peacock to see a game, I will voluntarily miss a BIlls game for the first time I can remember. I have $4.99, but it’s a matter of principle. Both sides can say “screw you!” 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Did the Bills get a couple hundred million from the NFL to build a stadium?

Yes. 

4 hours ago, QCity said:

No. The NFL has a standard G4 loan that contributes $200M and is paid back.

Someone needs to ask Roger what exactly did he learn from this experiment.

Up to 150m is paid back from premium seating revenues.  So, yes, the Bills received league monies. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’m not kidding, they are losing me to some extent over this crap! I used to be an NFL fan, now I’m just a Bills fan. This should have been shut down as just plain stupid in the spitballing stage. They are trying to attract new fans, while sticking it to their core base. 

I had a buddy who never watched another NFL game after the strike season. I didn’t understand that at the time, but now I do. Sometimes it’s just the last straw, and people move on. I’m like that with the NBA. I loved it back in the Braves days, enjoyed it some thru the Jordan years. Now I wouldn’t go if you gave me free tickets, and for the last 5-10 years I don’t even watch the Finals. We spent big $$$ taking kids to games, and they would turn to me on a Tuesday in Charlotte and say “they’re not even trying!” Yep! The last straw. 

I have come to enjoy college sports more and more, both football and basketball. I have options. The NFL takes its popularity for granted. If I have to sign up for yet another streaming service like Peacock to see a game, I will voluntarily miss a BIlls game for the first time I can remember. I have $4.99, but it’s a matter of principle. Both sides can say “screw you!” 

Completely agree. I’m largely already there.  I only watch non-Bills games in passing.  For me it’s the referee situation and the completely inconsistent way games are called.  It’s hard to watch a game with any vested interest other than Buffalo.  

I find free feeds most weeks because yeah… how many streaming services do you need to watch all the Bills games… 5?  It’s not the money for me either, it’s the principle. Just stop with the greed.   Most weeks now you need to spend 20mins just to figure out which service is carrying which game.  

The NFL is making money, the players are making money, the advertisers and the “networks” make money.   Celebrities get box seats. Everyone is doing great.. except the average fan that has supported the league and the teams since they sucked.  But that’s the world we live in.  

• Like (+1) 1

I remember when I got stationed in Germany for my first assignment with the USAF back in 1980. 

Flew into Frankfurt from NY. 

It took my body, both mentally and physically a good three weeks to start to acclimate to the time change.

And I wasn't playing a brutal physical sport, I was twisting wrenches on aircraft!

Ownership should have been researching all aspects of traveling to Europe, even if it were only for a short visit, to ascertain THE BEST scenario for success for our team, most importantly, the physical success!

Remember,  their body clock was telling them it was 0930 hrs!

HUGE FAIL HERE FOR BEANE!

Edited by Returntoglory

Just now, LabattBlue said:

A lot of criticism about Goodell & the NFL yesterday.  You all know that they work for the owners, right?  Therefore, shouldn’t some of the criticism be leveled at Pegula?

It was time for the Bills to go to London because it had been 8 years, so that's not on him.  But if Pegula actually agreed to participate in this "experiment" to help the Jags? Then yes. Flame away.

• Like (+1) 1

My property manager works for me and he can screw up without me being blamed.

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

It was time for the Bills to go to London because it had been 8 years, so that's not on him.  But if Pegula actually agreed to participate in this "experiment" to help the Jags? Then yes. Flame away.

McDermott didn't look happy.  I'm not convinced it was his decision to leave that late.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My property manager works for me and he can screw up without me being blamed.

McDermott didn't look happy.  I'm not convinced it was his decision to leave that late.

Every team has been doing that for the past few years. Both the Jags and Falcons flew over on the Thursday night redeye too. And that game was a slop fest until the 3rd quarter. But maybe the Bills should have flown over on Tuesday to mitigate some of the Jags advantage. I really don't know. I didn't think that it would matter, but now that we know that it was an "experiment" to see how much advantage a team would gain by staying there I have come around to the fact that it was a deciding factor.

6 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Every team has been doing that for the past few years. Both the Jags and Falcons flew over on the Thursday night redeye too. And that game was a slop fest until the 3rd quarter. But maybe the Bills should have flown over on Tuesday to mitigate some of the Jags advantage. I really don't know. I didn't think that it would matter, but now that we know that it was an "experiment" to see how much advantage a team would gain by staying there I have come around to the fact that it was a deciding factor.

Etienne did say that he felt much better in yesterdays game.

29 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

It was an experiment because the NFL is considering allowing the Jags to use London as their home stadium while they build a new stadium in Jacksonville.  The plan would be for them to play all their home games there in a row then all their away games in a row,. or vice versa.  

Thank you NFL for roping the Bills into your little experiment and doing so with circa 1985 Astrodome turf.  Wasn't bad enough they had to get set up for a huge disadvantage with the schedule, they also had to play on walmart carpet.

• Like (+1) 2

You think it's coincidence that the two of smallest markets are taking place in this experiment.   Like there was another experiment last time they played in London as that was streamed on Yahoo only vs Jaguars.  You think they would put a team like the Cowboys in this experiment?

Edited by boco357

8 hours ago, Augie said:

I agree wholeheartedly.  They are sticking it to America fans, players & coaches who absolutely hate this concept.  Soccer teams and their stadiums refuse to share their grass fields so American players will get hurt, ruining your product.  Ridiculous 6-10 hour time zones will kill visiting teams. Logistically Roger has no idea how easily this will fail.  Then he'll lose American viewership & revenue.

8 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Yes.

I've never seen a breakdown.  I've read "the bills and nfl" are responsible for ## but never a breakdown on who paid what.

15 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I agree wholeheartedly.  They are sticking it to America fans, players & coaches who absolutely hate this concept.  Soccer teams and their stadiums refuse to share their grass fields so American players will get hurt, ruining your product.  Ridiculous 6-10 hour time zones will kill visiting teams. Logistically Roger has no idea how easily this will fail.  Then he'll lose American viewership & revenue.

If the nasty field had anything to do with some of our player injuries I'm beyond pissed.

On 10/8/2023 at 3:27 PM, Wayne Arnold said:

What is the NFL's obsession with London? 

NFL's relationship with London now has a driver's license. Enough already. You're not going to have an NFL team in London so just stop it. Cripes.

The obsession is called MONEY. They are billionaires for a reason. They are obsessed with MONEY. There will be a team in London and they will be called the Jaguars. Do you think they are going to build a Billion Dollar Stadium in Jacksonville? 

2 minutes ago, iinii said:

The obsession is called MONEY. They are billionaires for a reason. They are obsessed with MONEY. There will be a team in London and they will be called the Jaguars. Do you think they are going to build a Billion Dollar Stadium in Jacksonville? 

Do the intl games really make the league that much $$ tho

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.