Bills vs Jags Postgame thread

SCBills

12 minutes ago, Success said:

TOP was brutal today.  Seeing Epenesa on the bench getting oxygen said it all.

That defense was a group of warriors today. They gave the offense plenty of chances to take control of the game, and by the time the O woke up, the D was completely gassed.

The crazy thing is that in the box score it says both teams had 12 drives.  The Jaguars ran almost 30 more plays than we did though.  They also kept running the ball and Etienne killed us in the 4th qtr.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

That's fair. 

Maybe a little extra verbal encouragement from the unquestioned leader of the team could have sparked players to execute better. 

McD does it all the time with his clapping. 

You're grasping here, maybe if Diggs doesn't get the ball ripped out of his hands it could of changed the outcome or hey maybe if Shakir breaks a tackle and we get that 2 point conversion it could of been different to. What ifs aren't reality.

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Don't compare Mahomes to Allen. Mahomes has two rings and is by far better than Allen. Don't do that to Allen. It's not fair. 

Why not?  Mahomes having two rings is exactly why you compare what he does on the sideline to what Allen does on the sideline.  You complain about Allen not jumping around and screaming at the offensive players to get them fired up so I point out that Mahomes, who is the best QB in the NFL, basically does exactly what Allen does on the sideline - sit there and talk to a coach and watch the big screen to see how the D is doing. 

1 minute ago, BananaB said:

Everybody looked flat, what game did you watch? We seen one clip of Diggs breaking a tablet after a defender ripped the ball out of his hands…. After that they all looked the same to me. D kept it close with a couple turnovers that took away Jags points but they struggled to get off the field all day long. O was slow out the gate and sitting on the bench most of the day, Josh gave us a shot with the way he played.  We were down 5 points late in the game and the D let them walk the length of the field for a TD. All Josh could do was sit there and watch in disbelief.  Like WTF could he do at that point. 

They should have never been in that position. The Bills were not good on third downs. To be exact, they were 5 for 12 for a clip of 42%. Third down is well known as being the QB down in the NFL. Allen and the completely healthy Bills offense didn't make plays today. That includes Allen.

Allen is the least of the Bills offensive problems. However, if Allen doesn't wear his cape the Bills likely won't win vs good teams. The rest of the team isn't that good especially being down Tre, Milano, and Jones. 

• Disagree 2

3 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

The crazy thing is that in the box score it says both teams had 12 drives.  The Jaguars ran almost 30 more plays than we did though.  They also kept running the ball and Etienne killed us in the 4th qtr.

The defense was gassed, they lost two starters and Von only played like 5 snaps or a crazy low number like that. Honestly they battled as best they could and hats off to them for it.

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

He doesn’t HAVE to be a vocal leader. The guys follow him and rally around him just fine, he’s never been that way and it’s never been an issue. He leads naturally, anything else and that’s how he loses his teammates. The authenticity goes way further than screaming on the sidelines. 

I disagree. I've seen him plenty vocal on the sidelines before. I've seen him talking to his oline men and WRs as well. I've seen her m giving encouragement to his players. 

14 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Maybe a little extra verbal encouragement from the unquestioned leader of the team could have sparked players to execute better. 

This is corny even from a high school football standpoint. Do you really believe what you're saying here or is this just another way for you guys to come at Allen after a disappointing loss?

7 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

They should have never been in that position. The Bills were not good on third downs. To be exact, they were 5 for 12 for a clip of 42%. Third down is well known as being the QB down in the NFL. Allen and the completely healthy Bills offense didn't make plays today. That includes Allen.

Allen is the least of the Bills offensive problems. However, if Allen doesn't wear his cape the Bills likely won't win vs good teams. The rest of the team isn't that good especially being down Tre, Milano, and Jones. 

Coaches don’t want Allen to wear his cape. Where have you been? Limit turnovers and take what the D gives you, that’s what we been hearing right?  That tactic goes to ***** when you can’t  run the ball, lineman are taking penalties and the WRs are dropping balls. 

Edited by BananaB
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Many things went wrong in this game.  Some issues were self inflicted, some weren't- but once the bad stuff started rolling downhill the issues compounded which is what you saw during the 1st half.  

I think if this game was in Buffalo and we didn't have a huge time zone disadvantage we would have won an ugly game (much like the Chiefs did vs the Jets)- so I don't think we need to blow up the team.  That said, Dorsey needs to find rhythm and flow to his calls, and so a better job of removing the things that don't work.  Our TE's are collectively underwhelming- Knox especially.  We need to find better balance with our RBs.  Cook didn't seem to have it today, so why not lean on the other guys?

Unfortunate circumstances compounded by injuries and self inflicted wounds were too much fo us to overcome.  If we can get healthy I still think we are a formidable team.... so hopefully, by some maricle we don't lose Jones and Milano for the entire season.

4 minutes ago, BillzFreak said:

The defense was gassed, they lost two starters and Von only played like 5 snaps or a crazy low number like that. Honestly they battled as best they could and hats off to them for it.

It's possible for two things to be true:

1)  The D were warriors today and did almost everything humanly possible under the circumstances

and

2)  The failure of the D to get the Jags off the field created a negative feedback loop on an offense that got off to a slow start.  The O was cursed with bad field position all game and struggled to find any rhythm because the D had very few clean stops.  Even the 2 forced fumbles came at the end of long, time consuming drives.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

How many picks did the refs erase for Mahomes today?

Ya I’ll never get the “don’t compare Josh to Mahomes “ camp.

They are extremely similar QBs.

If we are just comparing QB rings, I guess Josh isn’t in Joe flacco or Trent dilfers league

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Ok offence wasn’t good, agreed.

How many dropped passes, horrible play calls, rushing yards and penalties did they have?

It’s not always on the QB…

You mean don’t compare Andy Reid to Dorsey? Agreed

I'm not placing all the blame on Allen. Not even close. Like I said he didn't play poorly. He just wasn't good enough nor was the offense. I don't agree with Allen played "really well" today.  Also, I didn't like hiw flat Allen and the offense looked for three quarters. 

Feel free to disagree. 

Just now, newcam2012 said:

I'm not placing all the blame on Allen. Not even close. Like I said he didn't play poorly. He just wasn't good enough nor was the offense. I don't agree with Allen played "really well" today.  Also, I didn't like hiw flat Allen and the offense looked for three quarters. 

Feel free to disagree. 

We will agree to disagree buddy. Thanks for the respectful conversation 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Coaches don’t want Allen to wear his cape. Where have you been? Limit turnovers and take what the D gives you, that’s what we been hearing right?  That tactic goes to ***** when you can’t  run the ball, lineman are taking penalties and the WRs are dropping balls. 

Well if that continues the Bills then what? 

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It's possible for two things to be true:

1)  The D were warriors today and did almost everything humanly possible under the circumstances

and

2)  The failure of the D to get the Jags off the field created a negative feedback loop on an offense that got off to a slow start.  The O was cursed with bad field position all game and struggled to find any rhythm because the D had very few clean stops.  Even the 2 forced fumbles came at the end of long, time consuming drives.

Honestly the offense not putting up points hurt the defense imo. Jacksonville was never put in any pressure situations from playing without the lead today. We were chasing them all game, I was hoping to get a lead and force them to have to feel the pressure to score which might of created mistakes from them.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

At least 3 of those 3rd downs were not converted because of dropped passes.  What the hell was Allen supposed to do about that?  And if they convert those it's 8 out of 12 conversions which is 67% and quite good.

And for the record down 18 - 7 in the 4th quarter Allen did put on his cape and led the Bills to 2 quick TD's making some great plays and overcoming multiple penalties in doing it.  Unfortunately our injury ravaged D was gassed and unable to stop the Jags that last possession.  

3 minutes ago, BillzFreak said:

Honestly the offense not putting up points hurt the defense imo. Jacksonville was never put in any pressure situations from playing without the lead today. We were chasing them all game, I was hoping to get a lead and force them to have to feel the pressure to score which might of created mistakes from them.

I agree.  But the D contributed to this by allowing the Jags to go on long, field position changing drives that kept the Bills O sitting on the sidelines.  And when they finally got back in the game they often had terrible field position. 

And yes the O had problems today but IMO it had nothing to do with Allen.  I may view Allen's play through rose colored glasses but I have the feeling that without him our offense would be downright terrible and unwatchable.  That it's Allen's amazing talent that puts lipstick on what is otherwise an ugly pig.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

At least 3 of those 3rd downs were not converted because of dropped passes.  What the hell was Allen supposed to do about that?  And if they convert those it's 8 out of 12 conversions which is 67% and quite good.

And for the record down 18 - 7 in the 4th quarter Allen did put on his cape and led the Bills to 2 quick TD's making some great plays and overcoming multiple penalties in doing it.  Unfortunately our injury ravaged D was gassed and unable to stop the Jags that last possession.  

That's fair.

Allen played well late in the game. It was too little to late. You can't sleep walking through 3 quarters. 

It was a total team loss from top to bottom including coaching. 

Also, I'm putting an extra emphasiz on Allen's two poor throws to a wide open Diggs. He has to throw a better ball than that. It deprived the Bills of two easy TDs. I put that largely on Allen. Elite QBs can't do that let alone 2xs in a game. That left a bitter taste in my mouth 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, boyst said:

You are mistaken

We are going to get excuses all over like always. McDermott had injuries. Dorsey is the reason the team can't score in 19 minutes TOP. Jet lag. Etc. 

Lots of excuses will be made why we never come prepared. 

So, we haven't lost 4 defensive starters that wouldn't have made a difference? 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Also, I'm putting an extra emphasiz on Allen's two poor throws to a wide open Diggs. He has to throw a better ball than that. It deprived the Bills of two easy TDs. I put that largely on Allen. Elite QBs can't do that let alone 2xs in a game. That left a bitter taste in my mouth 

IMO those were not poor throws but great throws.  The first was completed for a 50 yard gain and the second should have been caught for another 50 yard gain.  I don't know what football you're watching but in the NFL games I see 50 plus air yard completions are rare and more often missed then completed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Last year, Gabe had 2 massive drops that led to 2 close losses, and cost the #1 seed. Today was not solely on Gabe, but man it sucks to see another close game lost where Gabe had another big drop. There were a few costly drops today by other players. But I've had it with the Davis drops, it's more than an issue at this point.

17 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Well if that continues the Bills then what? 

If Allen plays smart we will win more than we lose. Unless folks enjoyed that Jets game.

We need some luck too and our starters to be able to stay healthy. Less flag-happy crews would be welcomed.

Hope they leave those guys in England.

Other players have to step up on offense too, make a guy miss, get to the marker and move the chains, win contested throws, or block if you are a RB and have to pick up the blitz.

Allen may be playing a bit too conservative. I am just thinking he could pick up a few more 1st downs with his legs if scrambling and there is 5 yards of green in front of him.

I think he will find that sweet spot of when he should take chances and will be better for it.

I don't want to see him getting the crap beat out of him every game like last year either.

Ask yourself how much you want to see Kyle Allen starting?

13 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

That's fair.

Allen played well late in the game. It was too little to late. You can't sleep walking through 3 quarters. 

It was a total team loss from top to bottom including coaching. 

I have said this from the beginning no matter how good or bad things get so at least I’m consistent 😂 but I think you’ve really gotta let josh be the football wild man that he is and it feels like Dorsey has the handcuffs on him.  

today was definitely a run around like a psychopath behind the LOS and hit big plays type game and it looks like they’ve reigned him in too much until it was too late.  When your offensive line is not holding up and the defense is sitting on all the underneath stuff it’s really all you’ve got 

the vast majority of qbs couldn’t even get those throws off that you’re talking about let alone hit diggs for monster gains in any capacity so I find it hard to criticize him on those.  If he had a clean pocket I’d be more on your side though 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, WideNine said:

If Allen plays smart we will win more than we lose. Unless folks enjoyed that Jets game.

We need some luck too and our starters to be able to stay healthy. Less flag-happy crews would be welcomed.

Other players have to step up on offense too, make a guy miss, get to the marker and move the chains, win contested throws, or block if you are a RB and have to pick up the blitz.

Allen may be playing a bit too conservative. I am just thinking he could pick up a few more 1st downs with his legs if scrambling and there is 5 yards of green in front of him.

I think he will find that sweet spot of when he should take chances and will be better for it.

I don't want to see him getting the crap beat out of him every game like last year either.

Playing smart ain’t gonna get it done on a day you’ve got 0 running game, offensive line is getting steamrolled, defense is sitting on all the underneath routes, and opposing offense is moving the ball relatively easily.

They gave him the green light to go nuts way too late in this one 😂

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

DeAndre Hopkins comes down with that late jump ball that Diggs couldn’t 

beane whiffed though. That was a pipe dream all off-season 

Hopkins’ catch was much more difficult 😂.  Diggs had a one on one and caught the ball but it got wrestled out of his hands after he pulled it in.  Even if he hangs on for joint possession that’s a huge play 

28 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I want to see the Bills win. Today wasn't a winning formula. It was bad. It wasn't a fun watch. Very frustrating. 

Edited by newcam2012

11 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Playing smart ain’t gonna get it done on a day you’ve got 0 running game, offensive line is getting steamrolled, defense is sitting on all the underneath routes, and opposing offense is moving the ball relatively easily.

They gave him the green light to go nuts way too late in this one 😂

Jacksonville sat back protecting their lead and even Allen said the offense woke up a bit so probably a combination.

I think folks have the wrong idea with these supposed handcuffs on Allen.

I don't think they have that much of a leash on Allen, he changes plays at the line often, but to negate an effective rush a QB has to get rid of it quickly and hit the quicker routes underneath.

The Jags did a good job of overloading protection and using a variety of blitzes and stunts to get a free rusher in Allen's  face.

It was a big test of pass pro and they were able to sniff out our running plays pretty well too.

There are a dozen ways I am thinking we could have run the ball better, but hindsight is 20/20.

My advice, let it go... on to the next opponent.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

IMO those were not poor throws but great throws.  The first was completed for a 50 yard gain and the second should have been caught for another 50 yard gain.  I don't know what football you're watching but in the NFL games I see 50 plus air yard completions are rare and more often missed then completed.

Diggs was wide open. Both should have been TDs. Neither was a great throw by any stretch. It was very Tua like. 

6 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Jacksonville sat back protecting their lead and even Allen said the offense woke up a bit so probably a combination.

I think folks have the wrong idea with these supposed handcuffs on Allen.

I don't think they have that much of a leash on Allen, he changes plays at the line often, but to negate an effective rush a QB has to get rid of it quickly and hit the quicker routes underneath.

The Jags did a good job of overloading protection and using a variety of blitzes and stunts to get a free rusher in Allen's  face.

It was a big test of pass pro and they were able to sniff out our running plays pretty well too.

There are a dozen ways I am thinking we could have run the ball better, but hindsight is 20/20.

The team including players and coaches have to learn from their mistakes. It's one way to improve. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Disagree 2

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

15-2 sounds ok.  the league is looking for parity.  the cream always rises to the top.  this is a talented group.  the injuries hurt but we also have good coaches/execs...

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I want to see the Bills win. Today wasn't a winning formula. It was bad. It wasn't a fun watch. Very frustrating. 

I agree.  It was ugly, injuries, penalties.  I agree with a lot of what's being said.  

I don't like Josh's decision making.   Now he's afraid to run, and he passes up 10 yard runs for first fowns and throws prayers.  Two incomplete to Knox and one great catch by Davis, for example.  He had easy runs on all three.  

For me, it was all about Lawrence. He was great.  Always knew where to go with the ball, and incredibly accurate.  Deep ball up the right sideline on the last drive was incredible.  

Also, I wouldn't have done the onside kick.  You're not going to get the ball there, and the lost field position was going to hurt.  It did.  

It was all round ugly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Maybe WGR will need to put on a different quality show this week as opposed to last weeks “We own the league” continuous parade they threw for themselves.

But I’m sure the opening sentence from Joe and Jeremy this morning will be about their latest Super Bowl odds and Allen prop bets. 

2 hours ago, beebe said:

do we know if anyone went to the airport to welcome the team back from london? 

We’ll get the usual from Sal C about how it will take them 10-days to get re-acclimated to the time change. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

18 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree.  It was ugly, injuries, penalties.  I agree with a lot of what's being said.  

I don't like Josh's decision making.   Now he's afraid to run, and he passes up 10 yard runs for first fowns and throws prayers.  Two incomplete to Knox and one great catch by Davis, for example.  He had easy runs on all three.  

For me, it was all about Lawrence. He was great.  Always knew where to go with the ball, and incredibly accurate.  Deep ball up the right sideline on the last drive was incredible.  

Also, I wouldn't have done the onside kick.  You're not going to get the ball there, and the lost field position was going to hurt.  It did.  

It was all round ugly. 

This is a good point. 

The Coaching staffs constant badgering on Allen’s running.

But this offense is the same. It’s Allen and Diggs.

Gabe’s stat line looks good, but his production all came with 5 minutes left.

He was 3 for 30 for 85% of the game. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.