Disfunction Junction, What's Your Function, House Republicans? Embarrassment To The Nation

8 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

https://x.com/jakesherman/status/1716913458741187065?s=46&t=Jf_5fQharG6pLsB8ACvvjQ

Tom Emmer has dropped out of the race for speaker. 

I would think that realizing you do not have nearly enough votes to win, dropping out is the correct thing to do.

Unless, of course, you want to waste everyone's time and keep the seat vacant.

11 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Would have been the exact opposite of that. 

Had they gone through with it, the Dems would have helped the GOP elect a Republican speaker for nothing in return. 

So, creating some stability without extracting concessions. The opposite of a power play to spread chaos. 

If, however, you’d like to see a power play to spread chaos, the House GOP is right there. A handful of members completely disrupting functioning government because they have the emotional and intellectual bandwidth of toddlers. 

Interesting take.  So by not voting present, they bypassed the on a golden opportunity to have this matter resolved, thus contributing to the problem.  

That’s just great. 

20 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

There is, let's see it 

I don't believe it 

Open thyne own true eyes, election denier.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

https://x.com/jakesherman/status/1716913458741187065?s=46&t=Jf_5fQharG6pLsB8ACvvjQ

Tom Emmer has dropped out of the race for speaker. 

What a clownshow. 

The Cult said no. So he’s done. Read this and tell me it’s not a Cult as the leader speaks of himself in the third person:

“I have many wonderful friends wanting to be Speaker of the House, and some are truly great Warriors,” Mr. Trump wrote on Truth Social. “RINO Tom Emmer, who I do not know well, is not one of them. He never respected the Power of a Trump Endorsement, or the breadth and scope of MAGA—MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!”

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Interesting take.  So by not voting present, they bypassed the on a golden opportunity to have this matter resolved, thus contributing to the problem.  

First, they never had this option for Emmer as his candidacy never made it to the floor before it collapsed. 

Second, every time there has been a vote on the floor, the Dems vote for one candidate who has generally been ending up with most of the votes. Not only would it only take a handful of GOPers to elect a speaker, but the Dems have stated they are open to talking and yet the GOP won’t engage. 

Third, the GOP is the majority party here. When the Dems had the exact same majority, they were able to figure it out. This is squarely on the GOP. They are reaping what they have sown. 

Finally, if the situation was reversed and the Dems couldn’t elect a speaker despite having the majority, would you blame the GOP?

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

First, they never had this option for Emmer as his candidacy never made it to the floor before it collapsed. 

Second, every time there has been a vote on the floor, the Dems vote for one candidate who has generally been ending up with most of the votes. Not only would it only take a handful of GOPers to elect a speaker, but the Dems have stated they are open to talking and yet the GOP won’t engage. 

Third, the GOP is the majority party here. When the Dems had the exact same majority, they were able to figure it out. This is squarely on the GOP. They are reaping what they have sown. 

Finally, if the situation was reversed and the Dems couldn’t elect a speaker despite having the majority, would you blame the GOP?

I thought both “both side-ism” was anathema to this type of conversation involving politics?  You told me so just recently.  

Next time please don't make me work so hard on this. 

It is on the GOP, on that we agree.  I’m not always convinced that voting in lockstep is indicative of some great democratic tradition, but it’s absolutely true the R party has a whole host of issues. 

11 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Exactly what do the screwy 8 or whatever they’re called expect to happen? They couldn’t even get close with Jordan. Maybe they’re just auditioning for Fox hosting gigs. 

They don't care what's it matter if no one gets the job and the government shuts down, they don't want the government to do anything anyway and they'll use the shut down as proof that it doesn't work even though they're reason it happened. So either way they win so they'll burn it all down unless they get someone they want.

35 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

That’s just great. 

Always pointing fingers at everyone else but his own corrupt party.  Classic MAGA

6 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Always pointing fingers at everyone else but his own corrupt party.  Classic MAGA

It was Chi’s theory, you probably got confused by the hatefire that burns within you and your tendency to rage without considering what you’re really upset about.  

I was just confused by what he was suggesting, but he cleared it up for me. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Anything to drop congressional approval ratings below the floor of the ***** house where they currently reside....I'm for.

ALL are useless, no matter the team.

Flush it all.

If anything, this should improve their approval ratings...

20 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I thought both “both side-ism” was anathema to this type of conversation involving politics?  You told me so just recently.  

Next time please don't make me work so hard on this. 

It is on the GOP, on that we agree.  I’m not always convinced that voting in lockstep is indicative of some great democratic tradition, but it’s absolutely true the R party has a whole host of issues. 

It's weird because traditionally the Dems have been the party of trying to herd cats while the GOP has been much better at voting as a solid bloc.

That seems to have flipped in recent years.

I think a large part of what's keeping the House GOP caucus in disarray is that they feel beholden to the MAGA wing. We saw this when dozens of them voted against Jim Jordan in a secret ballot after having voted for him on a public ballot. There is no platform, no goals, no ideals. Just a requirement to be completely owned by MAGA. That makes compromise within the party difficult and compromising across the aisle verboten.

Just now, ChiGoose said:

It's weird because traditionally the Dems have been the party of trying to herd cats while the GOP has been much better at voting as a solid bloc.

That seems to have flipped in recent years.

I think a large part of what's keeping the House GOP caucus in disarray is that they feel beholden to the MAGA wing. We saw this when dozens of them voted against Jim Jordan in a secret ballot after having voted for him on a public ballot. There is no platform, no goals, no ideals. Just a requirement to be completely owned by MAGA. That makes compromise within the party difficult and compromising across the aisle verboten.

I desperately wish I could disagree with you. Effing clown show. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

It was Chi’s theory, you probably got confused by the hatefire that burns within you and your tendency to rage without considering what you’re really upset about.  

I was just confused by what he was suggesting, but he cleared it up for me. 

Based on your history here?

giphy.gif

55 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Anything to stop the machine is good. 

What has the government done in the last 20 years that made things better? 

What would you like the government to do?

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

That’s just great. 

Open thyne own true eyes, election denier.  

So nothing, you are just a bull shitter 

Congrats, that's deep 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Unforgiven said:

You and all other libtards are disgusting and repulsive subhumans. Enjoy the excrement you've 

created.

The first time that you provide anything of substance will be the first time I have ever seen you do it you literally provide nothing here

23 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Yup

Too bad he was such a spineless coward to stick to it

• Agree 2

48 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

No. They showed something called party discipline. The Republicans acted like little children — “if you don’t vote for one of us we are taking our ball and going home.”

It’s not really discipline when Dems, being the minority, had nothing to lose with their vote for Jeffries….anybody can do that…

Discipline is knowing your vote might put you in the minority, but you stick to your principles- unlike people like the Squad, who ran on challenging the Dems, but fell in line out of fear…👍

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

It’s not really discipline when Dems, being the minority, had nothing to lose with their vote for Jeffries….anybody can do that…

Discipline is knowing your vote might put you in the minority, but you stick to your principles- unlike people like the Squad, who ran on challenging the Dems, but fell in line out of fear…👍

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7k6f91mmm2qzpulbgq9

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I don’t think you understand what discipline means

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I don’t think you understand what discipline means

Where I come from it means sticking to your principles, no matter how many arrows it may bring your way- not just following the crowd when it’s convenient and safe…👍

5 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Where I come from it means sticking to your principles, no matter how many arrows it may bring your way- not just following the crowd when it’s convenient and safe…👍

The politicians to get things done learn how to compromise

you Cant do that when your party loses

republicans are going thru that right now

Edited by John from Riverside

6 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Where JFR comes from it means whatever way you can twist it into meaning Republicans bad.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

The politicians to get things done learn how to compromise

you Cant do that wThe politicians to get things done learn how to compromise Jen your party loses

republicans are going to that right now

They only compromise to benefit their donors Imo, while the working class gets screwed…

Look what compromising on the immigration has done for inner city black and brown people of this country…it certainly hasn’t helped…

Look how compromising with their insurance donors has kept Medicare for all away from the people…

Not all compromises are positive for the citizens who don’t have power and money…👍

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

They only compromise to benefit their donors Imo, while the working class gets screwed…

Look what compromising on the immigration has done for inner city black and brown people of this country…it certainly hasn’t helped…

Look how compromising with their insurance donors has kept Medicare for all away from the people…

Not all compromises are positive for the citizens who don’t have power and money…👍

What are you even talking about?

33 minutes ago, TH3 said:

What are you even talking about?

I’m talking about when everyone compromises, the little guy tends to get screwed in favor of big corporate donors…

I don’t know who will come out on top for the Republican speaker, but it is nice to see some people standing up to the big donor politicians, to protect our borders, reign in spending, etc…

Its refreshing to see that there are still people who won’t just bend over to the elites…👍

Edited by JaCrispy

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

No. They showed something called party discipline. The Republicans acted like little children — “if you don’t vote for one of us we are taking our ball and going home.”

You mean party partisanship. I wish there were a dozen common sense, do what's good for the country, on both sides. The House would work so much better. The partisanship ruined the House decades ago. The Dems following Gaetz is simply the latest proof of dysfunction.