Disfunction Junction, What's Your Function, House Republicans? Embarrassment To The Nation

Rep. John S. Duarte (R-Calif.), a freshman who called this week for fellow California Republican Rep. Kevin McCarthy to be reinstated as speaker, said he would vote for Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) on the House floor.

“Scalise had the majority of the votes, so I don’t think there’s going to be a problem on the moderate end of the conference,” Duarte, a freshman who represents a swing district, told reporters.

But another McCarthy ally, Rep. Carlos A. Gimenez (R-Fla.), said he planned to vote for McCarthy on the floor in protest of McCarthy’s ouster. “I just choose not to participate in what I consider to be an injustice,” Gimenez said.

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Rep. John S. Duarte (R-Calif.), a freshman who called this week for fellow California Republican Rep. Kevin McCarthy to be reinstated as speaker, said he would vote for Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) on the House floor.

“Scalise had the majority of the votes, so I don’t think there’s going to be a problem on the moderate end of the conference,” Duarte, a freshman who represents a swing district, told reporters.

But another McCarthy ally, Rep. Carlos A. Gimenez (R-Fla.), said he planned to vote for McCarthy on the floor in protest of McCarthy’s ouster. “I just choose not to participate in what I consider to be an injustice,” Gimenez said.

I don’t understand why Rep. Gimenez thinks the ouster of McCarthy was an injustice, when the terms were agreed to by McCarthy, himself, and his ouster was through a House vote…

Sounds pretty democratic to me…👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I don’t understand why Rep. Gimenez thinks the ouster of McCarthy was an injustice, when the terms were agreed to by McCarthy and the ouster was through a House vote…

Sounds pretty democratic to me…👍

Those were the terms before Nancy changed them.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/11/2023 at 7:34 PM, Tiberius said:

Yes, can we get a speaker that just acknowledged the truth that Biden won? 

Is that really that hard? 

You know, in a more grounded reality (so not ours) this could be the start of the GOP turning itself around.   That ain't gonna happen.   The insane GQP base will probably eviscerate him now.

• Like (+1) 1

• Tiberius changed the title to Republican House Caucus Is Disarray Over Picking A Leader
  • Tiberius changed the title to Republican House Caucus In Disarray Over Picking A Leader

image.png.0d207541b6c53e8f0fa49ed4229619c0.png

4 min ago

Return to menu

By Azi Paybarah

National reporter covering campaigns and breaking politics news.

On the support for Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) on the secret ballot, Rep. Byron Donalds (R-Fla.) said, “I thought it would be higher.”

More than 50 Republicans voted against Jordan.