The Josh Allen excuse thread…

Dopey

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

He certainly had the discipline and will on the 11 play scoring drive, the second 11 play scoring drive, the 9 play scoring drive, and then the next 9 play scoring drive. So he’s proved he can be patient and take what’s given, especially against a dominant defense that demands you have to be patient and take what’s given. 

The maddening thing about Allen is why he gets away from it and insists on playing hero ball. Wish we had the answer. 

Thought his post game presser was revealing…

Agree Allen has a Hero Complex… No knock on him…Most QBs do… 

Unlike the best of them, Allen appears to lack genuine self-confidence…

Said the right words… but was defeated in his tone and body language… Just disappointed and not angry at himself and his performance… 

Not very inspiring, imo.

21 minutes ago, K-9 said:

He certainly had the discipline and will on the 11 play scoring drive, the second 11 play scoring drive, the 9 play scoring drive, and then the next 9 play scoring drive. So he’s proved he can be patient and take what’s given, especially against a dominant defense that demands you have to be patient and take what’s given. 

The maddening thing about Allen is why he gets away from it and insists on playing hero ball. Wish we had the answer. 

10 cent head.

9 minutes ago, Believer said:

Thought his post game presser was revealing…

Agree Allen has a Hero Complex… No knock on him…Most QBs do… 

Unlike the best of them, Allen appears to lack genuine self-confidence…

Said the right words… but was defeated in his tone and body language… Just disappointed and not angry at himself and his performance… 

Not very inspiring, imo.

On the other end of the spectrum, Bengals fans are livid at Joe Burrow for laughing in his post-game press conference. 

Excuse:  Josh Allen had an amazing record and statistical production in Prime Time games.  He also had some great playoff games leading up to the Bengals loss.

What we are seeing is simply a market correction.  The law of averages comes into play for everything.  The Bills are 0-5 in OT with Allen and maybe the next five they will be 5-0.  

I remember early in the season last year that Mahomes was struggling -- also trying to be greedy too often when defenses were taking the deep stuff away.

Then he adjusted -- learned to take the check-downs, etc. I wonder if McD should call his good buddy Andy Reid and see if he will share what the Chiefs' coaching staff did to get this through to Mahomes?

OK.  That's 5 season openers as the starter.  Jets, Jets, Steelers, Rams, Jets.  In those games, I counted 7 INTs, 8 fumbles and 6 of them lost.  His career totals are 51, 46 and 19 for those categories over those 66 regular season games.  So, season openers represent 7.6% of his starts and he has thrown 13.7% of his picks, made 17.4% of his fumbles and had 31.6% of his lost fumbles.  Given his style of play, it seems like every year he has to recalibrate his time/space decision making and ball security.  Training camp and preseason games do not seem to do the job to get him ready. 

15 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

I remember early in the season last year that Mahomes was struggling -- also trying to be greedy too often when defenses were taking the deep stuff away.

Then he adjusted -- learned to take the check-downs, etc. I wonder if McD should call his good buddy Andy Reid and see if he will share what the Chiefs' coaching staff did to get this through to Mahomes?

Burrow too. He was complaining about teams playing him with "soft zone" and not being able to push the ball downfield after a week 5 loss in Baltimore last year. Difference is that they adjusted their offense to take advantage of the underneath throws and he has the discipline to execute that. 

That last pic.....needed 3 yards to move chains, eat 2 more minutes of clock and kick a FG and likely win the game.

The playcall is on Clueless Dorsey. The decision to throw across the field into that coverage instead of tucking and running or dumping it off is on # 17. Awful

It's year 6

He needs a damn haircut and needs to take football seriously again. It seems like he's gone Hollywood and spends all his time doing commercials and golfing. This is from one of the biggest JA fans out there. not good. Also, I also gotta say that it bugs the hell out of me that he dated a girl for like 8 years and didn't marry her. That's is low character stuff.

1 hour ago, Toyo321 said:

It is really bad when every media outlet this morning is saying what Josh looked like in his post game interview      Sighhhhhhh........Huhhhhhh.  Same ***** different place, different day.  " I hurt our team, I cost our team tonight!!! "

The same crap different year.  The comments alone is the deal breaker for me.   That is a person that has not learned anything from his mistakes this past offseason and then some,  and is incapable of doing so right now.  He is reading from the same cue cards that he has used in the last two years.  Its complete garbage spewing out of his mouth at this point.  He is a 6 year Vet QB on a $258M contract.  He is not a rookie and he is not in college anymore.  His responses are not sincere anymore.  It's just the same lame old script.  He has shown no dedication to fix his underlying faults and that is also on his coaches too.  His lack of growth is squarely on him and his coaching.  You need to want to get better and do everything at your disposal to accomplish this.  I don't see it now 2 years in a row.

Josh is at this point a liability until he learns that the team comes first, the 1st down is more important than the long TD throw,  and that his bad decisions are no longer a laughing matter, he is losing games just with his mistakes alone now.  He is the reason this team is 0-1 right now.  

Like they said JA17 has the most turnovers by any quarterback that signed a multiyear deal in the last 6 years and it isn't even close.

No one is close to his TO total stats.  

It is a real big problem.  No one is laughing about this anymore on any media outlet, he is getting thrown under the bus because he deserves it.

Zach Wilson did more to not hurt his teams chances to win last night,  JA17 did the exact opposite he gave this game to the Jets  last night and he is making $258 Million on top of it. 

This is not what a true vet QB does.  No way in hell.

Would you be open to trading him and taking a chance on a rookie qb and realizing you won’t see anything for another 4 years or so?

47 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Last season we blamed the snowstorms,  tops shooting,  hamlin....

Did those excuses expire or are they still valid?

Well the defense did give up the most first downs in years in a playoff game with 30 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

For sure , this is perfectly said.

This game is def on Josh and he was awful.

But man, the over reactions here when people want to ride him out of town is absolutely ridiculous 

I'm sure there are 20 teams that wouldn't hesitate to give the Bills their 1st, 2nd, & 3rd round picks for the next three years for Allen.  We could then add a couple more D linemen and corner backs to the roster.  You can never have to many of those guys.

15 hours ago, RenoNVBillsfan said:

Look at the last 3 games JA played and then assess. He’s now a TO machine. D Coordinators have seen enough and now daring him to throw short -intermediate throws. He can’t…can’t consistently throw em and he can’t lay off going for the big play. 

They were throwing all sorts of short passes early and Allen was 9/10 after his first 10 passes and all they had was 3 points to show for it.  But hey I'm sure we could a lot of draft capital if we traded Allen now before all his TO's reduce his value!

9 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Well the defense did give up the most first downs in years in a playoff game with 30 

No, no, no! Allen is a TO machine didn't your read all about it here.  Of course in the Bengals game, the one Allen supposedly lost because he refused to throw to all those wide open guys running short patterns, he had only ONE TO and that was a meaningless INT at the end of the game with the score 27 - 10.  But hey Allen is a TO machine!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

Gotta say - I'm not a big fan of the concept of this thread.

Allen is likely to go down as the best QB in franchise history.  He was the "right Josh" from day 1, and has emerged as the clear best QB from that draft.  He has carried the team on his shoulders basically every season to this point, and pulled wins out on his own at times.  He leads this team to double-digit wins and playoff appearances every season.

I'd expect a thread like this for a Losman or Taylor or any one of the middlin' QB's we've had since Kelly.  Allen doesn't really deserve this for a terrible game 1 this year.  Would anyone here really want him NOT to be our QB?

I agree with you in general. 

But I will also say this. It’s year 6. He signed a 4 year rookie deal, and the team took up his 5th year option plus a big big time extension. This is his first year of his extension (aside from bonus money on the deal). The bar gets raised.

Add on the fact that he has been a turnover machine a good portion of his career, and this year he has talked a lot about how he’s never been more focused and is all ball at the moment. The bar gets raised even high. 

Then the cherry on top is the increased expectations around the team this year with an aging roster looming. The bar goes up again.

Allen is great. His expectations are high and higher than most of the league because of performances he put out there to earn it.  It I’d be lying if I said he didn’t fall wildly short last night. 4 turnovers for a turnover prone QB is always going to spark embers into flames. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I'm sure there are 20 teams that wouldn't hesitate to give the Bills their 1st, 2nd, & 3rd round picks for the next three years for Allen.  We could then add a couple more D linemen and corner backs to the roster.  You can never have to many of those guys.

They were throwing all sorts of short passes early and Allen was 9/10 after his first 10 passes and all they had was 3 points to show for it.  But hey I'm sure we could a lot of draft capital if we traded Allen now before all his TO's reduce his value!

No, no, no! Allen is a TO machine didn't your read all about it here.  Of course in the Bengals game, the one Allen supposedly lost because he refused to throw to all those wide open guys running short patterns, he had only ONE TO and that was a meaningless INT at the end of the game with the score 27 - 10.  But hey Allen is a TO machine!

Cincy I love Josh I can forgive the botched snap and essentially the arm punt misplay on his first int. 
Those other two man they were rough as the second one was just a fair catch by whitehead and Josh never saw him. 
He’s just gotta clean it up since outside Diggs it doesn’t look like he has a WR who can break a tackle. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Cincy I love Josh I can forgive the botched snap and essentially the arm punt misplay on his first int. 
Those other two man they were rough as the second one was just a fair catch by whitehead and Josh never saw him. 
He’s just gotta clean it up since outside Diggs it doesn’t look like he has a WR who can break a tackle. 

I agree.  And yes Allen played terribly last night.  But man look at the haters coming out of the wood work today. It's unreal.  I like Allen because I think the guy gives his all, is a great fit for Buffalo, and he's the main reason this franchise has become relevant again after nearly 20 years wandering in the football wilderness. 

Allen is an elite QB talent who is far from perfect.  Over the last 3 seasons we may be seeing the best that Allen can be.  And that is good enough to win a Super Bowl as was clearly shown in 2021.  But Allen can't win it by himself.  Because football is a team game and even the elite QB's occasionally lay an egg and stink up the joint. I'm not sure Allen can get much better and trying to make him something he's not will squander the special talent that he is.

I'll say what many have said previously:  the Bills have to improve in other areas and that includes coaching.  Not blaming McD but defensive minded head coaches are not working out in the current NFL.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.