Vikings Chad Greenway takes shot at Leslie Frazier defense

DJB

• DJB changed the title to Vikings Chad Greenway takes shot at Leslie Frazier defense

Now it’s being said out loud, 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It’s the thing I’m most excited about this season.  Seeing the defense under McD rather than Loosey Frazier 

Same here Alpha. 

I want to see the D take more risks overall. There will be rewards and there will be times we get beat on bigger plays. I think/hope the Rewards will outplay the Risks overall. We still have a pretty talented D overall. It's time to straight bring the pressure especially come playoff time.

Enough of the conservative BS. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Only issue with a more aggressive approach is that we are old and slow on the backend and it will leave us vulnerable to the big play.

Still better than a slow death by all these frustratingly long drives.  The worst thing that can happen is we give up a big TD and give the ball back to our offense.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Now that's not going to help Leslie get a HC job next year....

There isn’t anything that is going to help Leslie get a HC job…, 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Just takes 1 owner to do it. And there are from time to time, openings that a coach like Frazier is perfect for. 

Take the Texans a few years back. Culley was hired to basically be a scapegoat/anti Bill O'Brien. Lend some normalcy after having a coach that was just wild. A coach popular with the players that brings a steady hand and level approach. Now the older he gets I'll agree the less likely it becomes. 

• Agree 1

This brings joy. My biggest issue with our defense is watching top tier QB's laugh at our Tampa 2 defense as they march up and down the field on us.

I dont mind giving up the odd big play against superior offenses when they'll inevitably score anyways after a 12 play drive. I'd rather risk some creativity and force turnovers and stops. It's been gut wrenching watching DeShaun Watson, Philip Rivers, Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow, and to some extent Skylar Thompson marching up and down on this soft zone defense. 

There has to be something said for a defense who let's QB's take easy throws and get in a throwing groove. Make them work for their receptions. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Yeah. 13 seconds, his advanced age, and his "taking a year off" are going to be difficult to overcome.

Owners want to hire young and creative offense minded coaches. They want to hire the next Mike McDaniel.

Fraziers scheme is very effective against average to below average teams. I’ll give him that. Opportunistic as well. Reminds me a lot of those Dungy defenses where they’re gonna win every game if they can hold the other team below 20 points because of having such a prolific offense. Just sucks bc it doesn’t really work against the top offenses in the league. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Only issue with a more aggressive approach is that we are old and slow on the backend and it will leave us vulnerable to the big play.

Still better than a slow death by all these frustratingly long drives.  The worst thing that can happen is we give up a big TD and give the ball back to our offense.  

Old and slow now .. next year might be young and inexperienced .. there’s always a reason to keep the status quo.  

It’s time to change, and I really hope we see Carolina McDermott in this Defense. 

21 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I just don’t buy it.

McDermotts defense isn’t going to vary all that much IMO

Perhaps, but we have quotes from our players that make it sound like it will be different. 

20 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I sure hope we don't end up revisiting his thread with comments like "looks like Fraizer wasn't the problem after all" if it ends up being even worse under McD

How aggressive were his defenses in Carolina?

McD is a Jim Johnson protege who ran a more aggressive 4-3 scheme with a lot of disguised blitzes designed to combat the new (at the time) west coast offense. 

Here’s a cool article back when McDermott was just hired by the Bills that goes more in depth. https://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/12/breaking-down-bills-hc-sean-mcdermotts-defensive-philosophy/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.