Player predictions before the season starts…

ChronicAndKnuckles

I did this last year and I wanted to expand on it a bit. Personally, I just like to hear opinions before the season starts so I can go back and see who was right so here’s 7 questions. Answer one or answer all. Doesn’t matter. (I excluded offensive MVP for obvious reasons.) 

- Best performing rookie (for me I will go with Torrance, he has looked lights out all season especially against the Steelers. He took the job and never looked back.) 

- Offensive non- skill position MVP (Flame away, but I’m going with Dawkins. He’s been a consistently solidly above average LT since he came into the league and I don’t see that changing in 1 season or because of a few pounds.)

- Best Running back (Damien Harris. I think he plays a bigger role as the season progresses to the point where’s he splits carries w/ Cook down the Middle or becomes the majority carrier. I also expect him to lead all Bills’ RBs in total TDs , maybe even the WRs too if Dorsey stops beating Allen up in the end zone.)

- Offensive dark horse (I went with Gabe Davis last year, but I’m gonna double down this year. He hasn’t cracked 1000 yards yet so to me he still qualifies as a dark horse. Davis is most likely playing for a new contract and was playing w/ a nagging injury all last year so I think he puts up a good season. I think his drops were a fluke and he will be much more consistent especially in traffic. Being named a co-captain doesn’t hurt either.) 

- Defensive dark horse (the reason I made this thread. I think this the most underrated off-season acquisition the Bills have made and I can’t believe he’s not talked about more on this forum. Guy has 30 sacks in the past 3 years and still in the tail end of his prime at 30 years old. Rousseau, Floyd, Miller, and Ed Oliver is a freakin’ solid starting front. 28 combined sacks last year w/ Von only playing half a season. With Milano cleaning up, the secondary being consistently a top unit as usual, and McD calling the plays, I think this defense is going to really hit a different level this year. I think the MLB issue will be partially covered up w/ a more consistent pass rush. Buffalo will suffer some frustrating completions over the middle w/ Edmunds departure, but they will also have more turnovers and big plays. How can someone not be excited?)

Edit: Forgot to put the name 😅 Leonard Floyd 

- Defensive MVP (Von Miller, Von Miller, Von Miller. Come playoff time and full strength he’s going to be a nightmare for Burrow & Mahomes ghost rushing from the edge.)

- Player most likely to underperform (this was the hardest one for me and I hope I’m wrong, but I’m gonna go with Dawson Knox. I think Kincaid/ Harty/ Shakir eat into his numbers, although I still think he’ll still be a valuable target in the red zone. I’m expecting around 400 yards and 6 TD. Knox is still a very good #2 TE to have. Kincaid just offers so much more explosiveness. Get them on the field at the same time as much as possible.) 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

- Best performing rookie - Also going with Torrance, Kincaid hype is not realistic.

- Offensive non- skill position MVP - Morse, he's mostly above average at his best but a leader and proven to hold the group together.

- Best Running back - Also Harris, this guy was really good with NE at times include in that weird weather game in Buffalo a few years ago.

- Offensive dark horse - Sherfield - dude was buried on Miami's depth chart and will have opportunity to EAT in Buffalo assuming Dorsey doesn't botch things.

- Defensive dark horse - Taylor Rapp - I think he takes over for Hyde or Poyer at some point in the season as the primary starter.

- Defensive MVP - Agree with Miller, not so much about posting big sack numbers but freeing up other guys like he did last year if healthy and still effective.

- Player most likely to underperform - Kincaid, maybe a bit harsh for a rookie but for the same reason I don't see him living up to billing early and there are way too many other people in this offense to spread the ball around too.

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Best performing rookie : I'm going Kincaid. Torrence is a great choice too, but if used correctly Kincaid is a matchup nightmare that can dominate. 

- Offensive non- skill position MVP: Morse - he's been a target for criticism from me, mostly due to his contract. But he is solid center and in his final year in the pivot he will play very well with better guards next to him.  As for Dawkins - I think he will be the worst player on the OL this year.  He is in serious decline.  

- Best Running back - Yards - Cook. TDs - Harris

- Offensive dark horse : Diggs. I know how can he be the dark horse?  Well some on this board think he is a diva and a cancer.  I still think he is a top 3 WR and I think this year he gets the appropriate number of targets for a top 3 WR.  Look for him to get 120-125 receptions this year.

- Defensive dark horse - Hyde returns from injury and with a better pass rush, he gets 6 INTs this year.  Contrary I can see a scenario where Rapp starts to take some of Poyer's snaps as the season wears on. 

- Defensive MVP - Hyde - see above

- Player most likely to underperform - Davis. I like him a lot and defended him this entire off-season.  I think he still may get 8 TD receptions but I think he will struggle to get 600 yards receiving.  As above I think they feature Diggs more, and there are just too many other option on offense. This offense will be best if Davis is a very high YPC guy and is 4th or 5th on the team in targets.  That means they are running a lot of stuff through Diggs, Knox, Kincaid, and another option.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

- Best performing rookie - Also going with Torrance, Kincaid hype is not realistic.

- Offensive non- skill position MVP - Morse, he's mostly above average at his best but a leader and proven to hold the group together.

- Best Running back - Also Harris, this guy was really good with NE at times include in that weird weather game in Buffalo a few years ago.

- Offensive dark horse - Sherfield - dude was buried on Miami's depth chart and will have opportunity to EAT in Buffalo assuming Dorsey doesn't botch things.

- Defensive dark horse - Taylor Rapp - I think he takes over for Hyde or Poyer at some point in the season as the primary starter.

- Defensive MVP - Agree with Miller, not so much about posting big sack numbers but freeing up other guys like he did last year if healthy and still effective.

- Player most likely to underperform - Kincaid, maybe a bit harsh for a rookie but for the same reason I don't see him living up to billing early and there are way too many other people in this offense to spread the ball around too.

What is the Kincaid hype and what isn’t realistic about it?  Sure, some are calling him a HoFer, cough, but that’s few and far in between.  Other than HoF hype, what’s unrealistic? 

Predict his stats

20 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Taylor Rapp is a great choice. Remember how Poyer and Hyde were these mid-tier signings that turned out  to be fantastic. Beane still doesn’t get enough credit for landing both in the same year and shoring up the Safety half a decade plus. If there one thing I trust the FO with, it is the secondary. 

29 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Best performing rookie : I'm going Kincaid. Torrence is a great choice too, but if used correctly Kincaid is a matchup nightmare that can dominate. 

- Offensive non- skill position MVP: Morse - he's been a target for criticism from me, mostly due to his contract. But he is solid center and in his final year in the pivot he will play very well with better guards next to him.  As for Dawkins - I think he will be the worst player on the OL this year.  He is in serious decline.  

- Best Running back - Yards - Cook. TDs - Harris

- Offensive dark horse : Diggs. I know how can he be the dark horse?  Well some on this board think he is a diva and a cancer.  I still think he is a top 3 WR and I think this year he gets the appropriate number of targets for a top 3 WR.  Look for him to get 120-125 receptions this year.

- Defensive dark horse - Hyde returns from injury and with a better pass rush, he gets 6 INTs this year.  Contrary I can see a scenario where Rapp starts to take some of Poyer's snaps as the season wears on. 

- Defensive MVP - Hyde - see above

- Player most likely to underperform - Davis. I like him a lot and defended him this entire off-season.  I think he still may get 8 TD receptions but I think he will struggle to get 600 yards receiving.  As above I think they feature Diggs more, and there are just too many other option on offense. This offense will be best if Davis is a very high YPC guy and is 4th or 5th on the team in targets.  That means they are running a lot of stuff through Diggs, Knox, Kincaid, and another option.  

When Diggs plays well, the Bills win. I am on board w/ that. 

Thanks for doing this!  Good thread start.  My honest answers to these put me squarely in the "Hopeful" camp.

20 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

- Best performing rookie (for me I will go with Torrance, he has looked lights out all season especially against the Steelers. He took the job and never looked back.) 

I'm going to go with Kincaid.  I think a solid rookie performance from our best candidate for filling that need over the middle would go a long way to improve the Bills offense.  Hope we can all say "our Kinc is OK!" after this season.

Torrance good choice though.

- Offensive non- skill position MVP (Flame away, but I’m going with Dawkins. He’s been a consistently solidly above average LT since he came into the league and I don’t see that changing in 1 season or because of a few pounds.)

I hope it's Connor McGovern.  We really need to solidify that IOL

- Best Running back (Damien Harris. I think he plays a bigger role as the season progresses to the point where’s he splits carries w/ Cook down the Middle or becomes the majority carrier. I also expect him to lead all Bills’ RBs in total TDs , maybe even the WRs too if Dorsey stops beating Allen up in the end zone.)

I'm really in "hopeful" mode.  I'm going to say "James Cook, and it's not close".  The reason this is hopeful is that it would mean we have more of a running game, and we need less blocking from our backs. Cook is not "all that" in pass pro, whereas Harris can do it.  I'm also skeptical on Harris injury history

- Offensive dark horse (I went with Gabe Davis last year, but I’m gonna double down this year. He hasn’t cracked 1000 yards yet so to me he still qualifies as a dark horse. Davis is most likely playing for a new contract and was playing w/ a nagging injury all last year so I think he puts up a good season. I think his drops were a fluke and he will be much more consistent especially in traffic. Being named a co-captain doesn’t hurt either.)

Trent Sherfield.  I'm not sure I can call Davis a "dark horse" by my understanding of the term.  He's going into the season as our #2 WR for the 2nd year and much is expected.  Potential to overtake him: Ryan Van Demark.  The OBD crew was surprised that the Bills cut Quessenberry loose to keep Van Demark, especially as he seems just progressing in his ability to play RT.   If he comes on at RT, I would like to see him challenge Brown.  That would be a real "Dark Horse", didn't see that coming, deal!

- Defensive dark horse (the reason I made this thread. I think this the most underrated off-season acquisition the Bills have made and I can’t believe he’s not talked about more on this forum. Guy has 30 sacks in the past 3 years and still in the tail end of his prime at 30 years old. Rousseau, Floyd, Miller, and Ed Oliver is a freakin’ solid starting front. 28 combined sacks last year w/ Von only playing half a season. With Milano cleaning up, the secondary being consistently a top unit as usual, and McD calling the plays, I think this defense is going to really hit a different level this year. I think the MLB issue will be partially covered up w/ a more consistent pass rush. Buffalo will suffer some frustrating completions over the middle w/ Edmunds departure, but they will also have more turnovers and big plays. How can someone not be excited?)

Excellent choice.  No argument on Floyd.  I may go with Kingsley Jonathan though.  Again, when a guy has Floyd's performance history, is he really a dark horse?  May be a quibble.  But

- Defensive MVP (Von Miller, Von Miller, Von Miller. Come playoff time and full strength he’s going to be a nightmare for Burrow & Mahomes ghost rushing from the edge.)

Hard to argue with this.  Ultimately, as VM goes, so may go the Bills season.

- Player most likely to underperform (this was the hardest one for me and I hope I’m wrong, but I’m gonna go with Dawson Knox. I think Kincaid/ Harty/ Shakir eat into his numbers, although I still think he’ll still be a valuable target in the red zone. I’m expecting around 400 yards and 6 TD. Knox is still a very good #2 TE to have. Kincaid just offers so much more explosiveness. Get them on the field at the same time as much as possible.) 

I would say if Dawson doesn't get the numbers, it's likely to be because Spencer Brown sucks at RT and we're keeping him in to chip/release or just block.

Which brings me to my choice for this: Spencer Brown.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Thanks for doing this!  Good thread start.  My honest answers to these put me squarely in the "Hopeful" camp.

I'm going to go with Kincaid.  I think a solid rookie performance from our best candidate for filling that need over the middle would go a long way to improve the Bills offense.  Hope we can all say "our Kinc is OK!" after this season.

I'm really in "hopeful" mode.  I'm going to say "James Cook, and it's not close".  The reason this is hopeful is that it would mean we have more of a running game, and we need less blocking from our backs. Cook is not "all that" in pass pro, whereas Harris can do it.  I'm also skeptical on Harris injury history

Trent Sherfield.  I'm not sure I can call Davis a "dark horse" by my understanding of the term.  He's going into the season as our #2 WR for the 2nd year and much is expected.  Potential to overtake him: Ryan Van Demark.  The OBD crew was surprised that the Bills cut Quessenberry loose to keep Van Demark, especially as he seems just progressing in his ability to play RT.   If he comes on at RT, I would like to see him challenge Brown.  That would be a real "Dark Horse", didn't see that coming, deal!

Excellent choice.  No argument on Floyd.  I may go with Kingsley Jonathan though.  Again, when a guy has Floyd's performance history, is he really a dark horse?  May be a quibble.  But

I would say if Dawson doesn't get the numbers, it's likely to be because Spencer Brown sucks at RT and we're keeping him in to chip/release or just block.

I agree with almost all of this. Van Demark seems to be strictly a LT, though. If Brown struggles, they will try Ifedi first. I think Rapp is the dark horse on D fella.

5 hours ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

- Best performing rookie: Kincaid

- Offensive non- skill position MVP: Dawkins

- Best Running back: Murray

- Offensive dark horse: Murray

- Defensive dark horse: Tre White

- Defensive MVP: Milano

- Player most likely to underperform: Oliver

Any specific reason you think Murray is going to be the guy or is it just a hunch ? I would’ve picked Murray if this was a few years ago, but 32 y.o. seems pretty steep. Especially competing against the youth of Cook and Harris. What I do like is that he’s a big bruising guy at 6’3 230. Running style and body frame reminds me of Eddie George. He ran 4.38 so on paper he is the fastest RB on the roster, but that was 9 years ago. The numbers don’t lie, he’s been productive on every team he’s been in. Good choice 👍 I definitely wouldn’t be shocked if you were right. 

- Best performing rookie: Torrence 

Offensive non-skill position MVP:  Bass ….shouldn’t this category just read OL MVP? I’m playing by my own rules. 

Best Running back: Cook

- Offensive dark horse: Sherfield 

- Defensive dark horse: Settle

- Defensive MVP: Groot

- Player most likely to underperform: Harty

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Could see this but calling Knox a TE2 is disrespectful considering he's top 10 in the league 

How is it disrespectful? 500 yards and 6 TDs are not great (definitely respectable though) numbers for a TE in such a pass heavy offense with Josh Allen under center. He need to double that production if he really wants to compete with the league’s best. There’s a reason Beane not only drafted Kincaid, but moved up to get him. The Bills FO sees it too. Why did the Chiefs dump Tyreek Hill instead of Travis Kelce? Because an elite TE is more important and harder to find than an elite WR. 

On 9/1/2023 at 2:51 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I did this last year and I wanted to expand on it a bit. Personally, I just like to hear opinions before the season starts so I can go back and see who was right so here’s 7 questions. Answer one or answer all. Doesn’t matter. (I excluded offensive MVP for obvious reasons.) 

Edit: Forgot to put the name 😅 Leonard Floyd 

• Best performing rookie:  Kincaid.  While I don't expect some crazy numbers, I think he adds a dynamic to the offense that really takes us to a new level and proves to be one of the most valuable additions to the team this season.
  • Best offensive non-skill position MVP:  Torrence.  I think he is going to really help bolster the run game and stabilize the line inside.  
  • Best running back:  Cook.  I think all the RB's are going to play well, but I think Cook is about to break out this year.
  • Offensive dark horse:  Sherfield.  I wanted to say Davis, but I don't know him having his best year would really be a "dark horse" as its more expected.  But I have been saying all offseason that Sherfield is better than people think and is going to make some plays for us this year.
  • Defensive dark horse:  Kirksey.  I think he will be starting very early in the season and is going to immediately stabilize the biggest hole on the team.
  • Defensive MVP:  Rousseau.  I think with the addition of Floyd, getting Von back and getting some opportunities inside too that he is going to be a double digit sack guy this season.
  • Player most likely to underperform:  Bernard/Dodson (whoever starts at MLB initially).  Just don't see them holding that spot down and holding off Kirksey who I think will take over the starting job in the first 3 weeks of the season.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

• Best performing rookie:  Kincaid.  While I don't expect some crazy numbers, I think he adds a dynamic to the offense that really takes us to a new level and proves to be one of the most valuable additions to the team this season.
  • Best offensive non-skill position MVP:  Torrence.  I think he is going to really help bolster the run game and stabilize the line inside.  
  • Offensive dark horse:  Sherfield.  I wanted to say Davis, but I don't know him having his best year would really be a "dark horse" as its more expected.  But I have been saying all offseason that Sherfield is better than people think and is going to make some plays for us this year.
  • Defensive dark horse:  Kirksey.  I think he will be starting very early in the season and is going to immediately stabilize the biggest hole on the team.
  • Defensive MVP:  Rousseau.  I think with the addition of Floyd, getting Von back and getting some opportunities inside too that he is going to be a double digit sack guy this season.
  • Player most likely to underperform:  Bernard/Dodson (whoever starts at MLB initially).  Just don't see them holding that spot down and holding off Kirksey who I think will take over the starting job in the first 3 weeks of the season.  

I love the Kirksey pick. He certainly has the resume. My faith in Dodson plummeted this preseason. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

How is it disrespectful? 500 yards and 6 TDs are not great (definitely respectable though) numbers for a TE in such a pass heavy offense with Josh Allen under center. He need to double that production if he really wants to compete with the league’s best. There’s a reason Beane not only drafted Kincaid, but moved up to get him. The Bills FO sees it too. Why did the Chiefs dump Tyreek Hill instead of Travis Kelce? Because an elite TE is more important and harder to find than an elite WR. 

Never said anything negative about Kincaid and believe he could be elite. All i said is Knox is top 10 . Top 12 at least. The duo should cause defenses a bunch of problems. Knox would be TE1 on majority of teams was my point 

i predict Knox with more TDs and Kincaid with more yards

Edited by JerseyBills

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

All very solid picks and thank you for the explanations as well. McGovern & Torrance are going to be a huge upgrade. 

I picked Floyd as a dark horse more because people haven’t been hyping him up on this forum or the media really as much as other off-season acquisitions. I feel like this is the best D-Line we’ve had since 2015 with the possibility to be even better if Rousseau makes that 3rd year jump. 

• Agree 1

On 9/1/2023 at 3:01 PM, FilthyBeast said:

agree with each.  nicely done.

But most likely to underperfom is Elam.

Partly because he should be expected to perform like a first rounder in year 3.   so far we'll be excited if he looks like a first rounder in year 1-of-3.   He seems smart and tries, but if it hasnt happened by  now . . .

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Any specific reason you think Murray is going to be the guy or is it just a hunch ? I would’ve picked Murray if this was a few years ago, but 32 y.o. seems pretty steep. Especially competing against the youth of Cook and Harris. What I do like is that he’s a big bruising guy at 6’3 230. Running style and body frame reminds me of Eddie George. He ran 4.38 so on paper he is the fastest RB on the roster, but that was 9 years ago. The numbers don’t lie, he’s been productive on every team he’s been in. Good choice 👍 I definitely wouldn’t be shocked if you were right. 

Harris is often injured and Cook will not handle a full workload. I think Murray will make the best of his limited reps to start and force the coaching staff to use him more and more. 

Here is my take 

Best Performing Rookie: Torrence - I think Kincaid will have a nice impact but I think Torrence is going to be a plug-and-play guard. 

Offensive non-skill position MVP: Mitch - I think Mitch is going to put in another solid season. I think that not only will he play well but I think he will help get McGovern up to speed in a new system and help Torrence in his rookie campaign. 

Best Running Back: Cook - I think Cook is going to break out if he can stay healthy 15-18 carries per game will lead to heavier numbers and better production. 

Offensive Dark Horse: Trent Sheffield - I was torn between Shakir and Sheffield. But I think Sheffield has shown more in the off-season and while I don't think he is going to have a huge season but I think he will have a nice impact with 500 + yards and 40ish receptions which for a WR4 is solid production. 

Defensive Dark Horse: AJ Epenesa - He quietly had 6.5 sacks last season but for whatever reason those sacks somehow didn't make him stand out. I think he has a similar sack total (6-8 sacks) but his sacks are more impactful and he makes plays in run defense. He is in a contract year and started his NFL career during the Covid off-season and was asked to shed a lot of weight. He struggled heavily his first two years and then had a better third season. With one more off-season under his belt and the motivation of getting a contract, I think he shows out a bit. 

Defensive MVP: Tre White - I think White comes back to his All-Pro form. He has by all accounts looked good in the off-season and is now more removed from his ACL injury. He also got a chance to play towards the end of last season so mentally he has knocked off the rust but now physically may be there. 

Player Most Likely to Underperform: Jordan Poyer - Both safeties are coming off seasons where they were hurt or banged up and both are older players. Both are into their 30's. I think Poyer will regress. I still think he will be a decent safety but just not the All-Pro or Pro-Bowl caliber player he has consistently been. 

On 9/2/2023 at 11:11 AM, NewEra said:

What is the Kincaid hype and what isn’t realistic about it?  Sure, some are calling him a HoFer, cough, but that’s few and far in between.  Other than HoF hype, what’s unrealistic? 

Predict his stats

I think Kincaid might eventually develop into a probowl stud type player but thinking he's going to be Kelce out the gate is ridiculous especially since Kelce himself didn't even become that dude until a good 4 or 5 years into the league.

As far as predicting his rookie stats I think they'll be on par with Knox rookie year or marginally better, something like 30 - 40 catches, 400 yards, 5 TDs.

On 9/2/2023 at 8:34 PM, maddenboy said:

But most likely to underperfom is Elam.

Partly because he should be expected to perform like a first rounder in year 3.   so far we'll be excited if he looks like a first rounder in year 1-of-3.   He seems smart and tries, but if it hasnt happened by  now . . .

Elam’s going into year 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.