Predictions on AFCE champs on Yahoo Sports

Inigo Montoya

Twelve of their writers were asked for their pick for AFCE champs in 2023.   Below is all twelve of their picks and their reasoning.

The Bills came out on top garnering 7 out of 12 votes;

Bills - 7

Jets - 4

Phins - 1

Division odds per Yahoo: 

Buffalo Bills +125

New York Jets +250

Miami Dolphins +300

New England Patriots +800

Prisco:   Bills.    Despite all the fanfare for the Jets with Aaron Rodgers as quarterback, the Bills are still the team to beat. They will be improved on defense with Sean McDermott taking over and Josh Allen will again have a big year on offense -- even better than a year ago. The Jets and Dolphins will fight for second. 

Benjamin:   Jets.    The Bills are rightful favorites, but if Aaron Rodgers actually gets protection, Robert Saleh's squad is too talented in key areas -- on the ground, out wide, all across the defense -- to be a total disappointment. Better to bet on the future Hall of Fame QB than the injury-bitten Dolphins or sluggish Patriots.

Dubin:   Bills.     Perhaps if Jalen Ramsey were still healthy or I had more confidence in the Jets' offensive line, I could pick against the Bills. But there's a reason we've thought this was arguably the best team in the league for several years now. 

Edwards:   Bills.    The pick may lack creativity but I have fewer concerns about the Bills than I do the other teams in the division. I still do not know what to expect from Mac Jones. Tua Tagovailoa's health is a concern in Miami. As a rule, it is often a fool's errand to place too much confidence in a 39-year-old quarterback even though I would generally be inclined to pick New York. It is a make-or-break year for Josh Allen and Buffalo.

Wilson:   Jets.    I wasn't sure Aaron Rodgers would be a good fit in New York, but he appears as happy as ever, his teammates speaking glowingly of his leadership, and he's still one of the best QBs on the planet. And the Jets also have that dominant defense.

Sullivan:   Jets.    I would have gone with the Dolphins had it not been for Ramsey's injury, but I do think the Rodgers-led Jets will have some spunk to them this season. The weapons around him are solid and the defense is top notch. This is more Stafford/Rams and Brady/Bucs than it is Wilson/Broncos.

Dajani:   Jets.     Give me the Jets! This defense is a top-five unit and the offense finally has some consistency at the most important position in the game. The Jets have a nice wide receiving corps and a loaded running back room. Plus, a motivated Aaron Rodgers is the best Aaron Rodgers.

DeArdo:   Dolphins.    Buffalo's three-year reign as the beasts of the East comes to an end. The Bills should get a wild card spot, though, along with Aaron Rodgers and the Jets. Semi hot take: One of these three teams will be in the AFC Championship game, if not the Super Bowl.

Kerr:   Bills.    Love this value as Buffalo still has Josh Allen leading a loaded offense. Offensive line is a concern. Von Miller is also coming back at some point.

Podell:   Bills.    The Bills are the current three-time reigning champion, and they have been one of the NFL's most dominant teams across the last three regular seasons, leading the league in points per game (29.4) and points allowed per game (19.4) in that span. Quarterback Josh Allen is the engine that drives the Bills, and he'll once again factor into another strong run for Buffalo in 2023. He provided gigantic production in 2022, ranking second in the NFL to only MVP Patrick Mahomes in total yards (5,045) and total touchdowns (42). With the additions of first-round pick tight end Dalton Kincaid and second-round pick guard O'Cyrus Torrence, Buffalo's offense could be more efficient in 2023, leading to a fourth straight division crown.

Brinson:   Bills.    The lack of respect and interest in the Buffalo Bills this offseason is wild to me. This team has the second-most wins in the NFL behind the Chiefs over the last three years, has morphed into the new dominant franchise in their division and no one wants to back them to win this year, even in the division. Thank Aaron Rodgers and the Jets for the free chip on Buffalo's shoulder.

Breech:   Bills.   It seems like the Bills have somehow become the forgotten team in the AFC East, but I would like them to know that I haven't forgotten about them. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Sullivan:   Jets.    I would have gone with the Dolphins had it not been for Ramsey's injury, but I do think the Rodgers-led Jets will have some spunk to them this season. The weapons around him are solid and the defense is top notch. This is more Stafford/Rams and Brady/Bucs than it is Wilson/Broncos.

Good ole Sully.  Just like clockwork.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

They topped the poll on NFL.com too. 

20 Bills

12 Jets

2 Dolphins

That is about how I'd price them chance wise too.... that would be Bills 59%, Jets 35%, Dolphins 6%.

I'd switch the Jets and Fish.  Similar quality of rosters but the coaching edge is with the Fish imo.  I'd take McDaniels/Fangio over Saleh/Hackett.  Also, MetLife stadium doesn't allow for one side to be 40 degrees hotter than the other side.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'd switch the Jets and Fish.  Similar quality of rosters but the coaching edge is with the Fish imo.  I'd take McDaniels/Fangio over Saleh/Hackett.  Also, MetLife stadium doesn't allow for one side to be 40 degrees hotter than the other side.  

McDaniels is overrated and Saleh might be underrated. But Fangio is a good coordinator, so maybe it is a wash for me. Hackett is there just to squeeze Rodgers' hand.

• Agree 2

For all the talking heads picking the Fins or Jets to win the division, Vegas is firmly behind the Bills…by far the lowest odds to win the division and third lowest odds to win the Super Bowl, ahead of both Niners and Bengals. And -2.5 at NYJ on Monday Night.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's funny when the guys on the NYJ bandwagon list The Jets dominant defense as one of the reasons they're picking the Jets. 

Last year, despite nearly all our best defensive playmakers being hurt (Miller, Poyer, Hyde, White), we still allowed fewer points than the Jets.  

The Jets D is legit.  But so is ours.  So to pick the Jets over the Bills, I think you have to assume the Jets O with Rodgers will surpass our O.   Seems unlikely, though I do think the Jets are a team to watch.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Brinson:   Bills.    The lack of respect and interest in the Buffalo Bills this offseason is wild to me. This team has the second-most wins in the NFL behind the Chiefs over the last three years, has morphed into the new dominant franchise in their division and no one wants to back them to win this year, even in the division. Thank Aaron Rodgers and the Jets for the free chip on Buffalo's shoulder.

Breech:   Bills.   It seems like the Bills have somehow become the forgotten team in the AFC East, but I would like them to know that I haven't forgotten about them. 

This is a far better scenario for the Bills... being ignored, disrespected, etc.

Buffalo always does better with a chip on their shoulder, not when they're the league "darlings" like last year..

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

It was the pats division for years until someone could take it from them. I feel the same for Buffalo now. I don’t fully see how you pick against them until someone actually proves they can dethrone them. 
Just because you add a former MVP quarterback does not mean you’re a lock for success year one or that they’ll continue playing at an mvp level. Ask Russ last season. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.