How much longer will the window be open?

JohninMinn.

How long is the window going to be open? It will always be open. Each season starts with every team tied at 0-0. 

But you’re asking the wrong question. The better question is whether the window is more or less open now than it was last August. To me, the window is definitely LESS open. I don’t see anything this team did in the offseason to open it much wider other than adding what appears to be a decent rookie offensive guard. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

Without a major over haul, this is the last year of this current iteration’s window.  Diggs is going to want out after this year and it’s doable, Davis SHOULD be gone, nearly the entire D is ready to be replaced.   Personally, I think without injuries to other AFC contenders and an insane amount of luck, this current team is done.  There’s just not enough playmakers on the team.  Allen and Diggs can’t do it all.  There’s hope for Kincaid, but I’m not counting the chickens. 

Allen will carry the team for as long as he stays healthy, but ‘21 was the best shot of a SB with this squad and they blew it. 

• Eyeroll 1

There are no windows as long as you have an elite QB

You lose players than replace 

Did Tom Brady have a window?

I doubt Patrick Mahomes has one either. The Chiefs could be contenders for 15 more years and so can the Bills with Josh Allen.

The key is to keep a top QB & GM, draft well and replace.

JMO :thumbsup:

Edited by HOUSE

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

We always have a shot with a guy like Josh, just like the Chiefs will always have a shot with Mahomes.

That’s true, but I didn’t see the Bills do much of anything to change the course of events in their favor during this offseason. This has felt a lot more like cap management than a plan for success. Trying not to implode is not the same as moving forward. 

7 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

The NFL is designed to subtract pieces that are in place to get Josh over the hump. Salary cap issues have taken a toll. Im worried about offensive tackle, linebacker positions and special teams. Also is Tre White a liability? I think this must be the year. Miller,Morse Diggs gone next year.

The correct answer is this ... the length of his career. Or his career as an excellent QB anyway. Sometimes QBs have a year or two at the end when they aren't the same guy, like Roethlisberger did. Before that happens to Josh, the window will be open.

That's what having an elite QB does. You start each year knowing you've got a chance to be competitive for a Super Bowl.

4 hours ago, DrBob806 said:

...and as unpopular as this sounds, Mahomes is on a higher level than everybody else.

They said the Chiefs would fade without Tyreek. Wrong.

He just has better coaching.

Nothing against McD - but Reid is the best.  I don't see a significant gap between Mahomes & Allen.

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

This team lacks the top end talent to win a Super Bowl right now. 

Beane has done a good job of keeping everyone he can from the 2020-2022 teams, but there aren't enough playmakers, especially out of the draft. 

Hard disagree on this one.

They ABSOLUTELY can win a Super Bowl right now.  This, imo, is the best team we've had since the '90's.  

Health is the key.  And of course, there are other top teams out there, and we're in a tough division & conference - but I don't put anyone significantly higher than the Bills at the moment.

10 hours ago, Success said:

The "window" is a myth.

It will be varying degrees of open - but as long as Allen is QB, it's not closed. 

I think we will let go off Hyde, Poyer, White, Miller on Defense next year as a salary cap purge to reset.  They will have an off year next year and then re-load again in 2025.   2023 should be a fun season.  

After all the spend they have had on the defense, it is still their weakest link.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.