The 2023 - ??? Edmunds Report

FireChans

1 hour ago, T master said:

NO !!! - 73 Total Tackles - 29 assists - 4 INT's - 0 sacks - 0 TFL's - I'm not thinking he's missed much !! 

Bernard - 134 comb tackles - 53 assists - 6.5 sacks - 3 INT's - i don't think Edmunds is missed !! 

Those numbers aren't correct, but yes Bernard has been the far superior producer.

I'd buy into Edmunds improvement more if the improvement was across the board.    The fact that he still isn't producing any negative play numbers around the LOS like one would expect from a massive LB tells me that modest upticks elsewhere might just be circumstantial.

I still believe that he will underwhelm compared to his contract and not play it out........the Bears will cut him in a year or 2 when his cap hit blows up.    But I also hold out some hope that the switch comes on for him in his late 20's like it did for DeMario Davis.    The thing Edmunds has going for him is his huge frame and athleticism.  He's built to play a LONG time.   By contrast a smaller, instinctive guy like Bernard may have a career more like Shaq Leonard........a handful of great seasons followed by physical decline.   

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Edmunds pff 56 (woof)

Bernard 63

i see Bernard miss a lot of tackles at point of attack. But he’s far superior in impact plays. And also not looking like he’s dancing out there 

OH and cap hit is insanely better for bills. That’s a bad bears contract. Flat out bad. They would honestly rather have Maine than roquan who will be first team all pro? Nonsense. 

Edited by balln
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, balln said:

Edmunds pff 56 (woof)

Bernard 63

i see Bernard miss a lot of tackles at point of attack. But he’s far superior in impact plays. And also not looking like he’s dancing out there 

OH and cap hit is insanely better for bills. That’s a bad bears contract. Flat out bad. They would honestly rather have Maine than roquan who will be first team all pro? Nonsense. 

The Bears went from 4 worst to 12 overall in defense this year. I believe they were 5th the last half of the season. But MLBs aren’t important to defense.

Bernard has been amazing so I still don’t get the need to put down TE, who did nothing wrong while he was here. He’s a good player whose only crime is he isn’t great I guess. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The Bears went from 4 worst to 12 overall in defense this year. I believe they were 5th the last half of the season. But MLBs aren’t important to defense.

Bernard has been amazing so I still don’t get the need to put down TE, who did nothing wrong while he was here. He’s a good player whose only crime is he isn’t great I guess. 

Not Putting him down. More of an excellent shrewd move that beane has to do more of to correctly navigate this team/cap situation and franchise w Josh Allen . Need more shrewd moves from beane

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Not Putting him down. More of an excellent shrewd move that beane has to do more of to correctly navigate this team/cap situation and franchise w Josh Allen . Need more shrewd moves from beane

On 1/2/2024 at 7:50 AM, T master said:

NO !!! - 73 Total Tackles - 29 assists - 4 INT's - 0 sacks - 0 TFL's - I'm not thinking he's missed much !! 

Bernard - 134 comb tackles - 53 assists - 6.5 sacks - 3 INT's - i don't think Edmunds is missed !! 

Wow, that is a crazy stat difference. 

Too many times I’ve seen an OL get his hands on Tremaine and drive him back like he’s on skates. I’ve seen that maybe once or twice all year with Bernard. I think the difference between the two is Bernard tries to slip past the block, while Edmunds just seemed content to occupy a blocker. I’d take Bernard over Edmunds at equal salary. 

• Agree 1

On 1/2/2024 at 9:50 AM, T master said:

Not the right numbers

112 tackles (best in 4 years), 69 solo

7 PD

4 INTs (career high) for 61 yards

1 TD 

1 FF

1 FR

0 Sacks (never been who he is)

• Like (+1) 1

edmunds is just a man amongst boys in terms of attributes and stature.

He's also super young, i think that also impresses people.

he's just not that great of a linebacker.  for all of his size and power, he's really not that physical. 

if you put poyer's heart and football mind in edmund's body, you'd have a 10 time all pro guy who walks to canton on a street named after him. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/2/2024 at 11:37 AM, Orlando Tim said:

Edmunds is a different style LB then what we have now. Comparing him to Bernard or even Dodson is not very effective because the requirements are different. I like Edmunds but at his cost he was not worth it and we have obviously made do with his replacement.

Why do u say that? What was Bernard asked to do differently than Edmunds ? Or vice versa? They play the same position in the exact same defense.  Both played deep coverage. Both blitzed. There is nothing that I saw all year to suggest Bernard was asked to do anything differently than Edmunds was the prior 5 years. 

Bernard is just a better player despite Edmunds being bigger, stronger, and faster. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Why do u say that? What was Bernard asked to do differently than Edmunds ? Or vice versa? They play the same position in the exact same defense.  Both played deep coverage. Both blitzed. There is nothing that I saw all year to suggest Bernard was asked to do anything differently than Edmunds was the prior 5 years. 

Bernard is just a better player despite Edmunds being bigger, stronger, and faster. 

Edmunds was expected to be our run stopper and told to keep everything in front of him. There is is a reason that JT went off the day he was not in the lineup. Edmunds had the job of cleaning up others messes which he did very well. Edmunds rarely blitzed and was often expected to play all of the underneath stuff much more often Bernard. Bernard is more dynamic and allowed more latitude in where he is expected to be. As far as your comment of the "same defense" I can't really help because this defense this year is much more attacking than previous years and we try to dictate much more than prior years.

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

If Bernard and Edmunds were both free agents this year who would get the bigger contract? 

I'd go with Terrel... his sacks/pressure and TFL are so key for us. He's also the heart of the defense right now with Milano out. Rather have Bernard. Not even close IMO.

Edited by ArdmoreRyno

5 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I'd go with Terrel... his sacks/pressure and TFL are so key for us. He's also the heart of the defense right now with Milano out. Rather have Bernard. Not even close IMO.

Look at Milano vs Edmunds contract and Milano is a better player than Bernard. The Bills were smart to save the money from Edmunds and adjust the defense to better fit Bernard. Its why they beefed up the DT position as well. It is really hard to say Bernard is better than Edmunds because they are asked to do different things. Bernard could not do what Edmunds does and Edmunds could not play the same way as Bernard. However, there are more players that could replace a Bernard than a Edmunds without other changes. That is why Edmunds has a higher value, even than Milano. 

• Disagree 1

Personally, I wish Edmunds the best. While here, he was quite underwhelming. Always missing out on making plays when they were right there in front of him to be made. Have a RB run right past him like he didn't even see the guy. Guess which gap he wanted to shoot, and 9 times out of 10 it would be the wrong gap. Watching him run directly into the defending OL player and flailing his arms because he had 0 rush ability or physicality. These are all things I don't miss. I can't recall how many footballs I saw bounce off of his stone hands either. It was a lot. I don't think most of the Chicago fans are all that impressed with him at this point already. No matter what, I still hope he plays well and has a long career. 

Bernard has been the complete opposite of Edmunds in this defense and I would keep him over Tremaine all day, everyday. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, ngbills said:

If Bernard and Edmunds were both free agents this year who would get the bigger contract? 

I think TE is really valued in the league. The bears run defense improved by almost half this year, which is insane (157 to 86 this year). They are very different players. 

im blown away by how good TB has been. I still do have concerns of him holding up long term at his size and if we played a physical, running team (which there aren’t many of). I believe the Steelers game plan will be pound the crap out of the footbal 

52 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Not the right numbers

112 tackles (best in 4 years), 69 solo

7 PD

4 INTs (career high) for 61 yards

1 TD 

1 FF

1 FR

0 Sacks (never been who he is)

And MLB has never been a sack position. TB is a great blitzer.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.