The 2023 - ??? Edmunds Report

FireChans

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Has anyone seen any reports about what his supposed "injury" was yesterday?  Because my suspicion is he was benched after casually watching the Kelce TD.

I saw it mentioned earlier in the thread, but that play was brutal. The misreads by him were pretty awful and he just seems to lack the necessary awareness to be THAT guy.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, FireChans said:

But isn't that the point. If you are incapable of making splash plays in coverage.... what are you even doing in coverage?  You aren't really a deterrent.

Splash plays aren't needed to be a determent in the passing game.

There's a video in the post game day thread where Bernard passed off the WR to White and then took out the other throwing option on the curl to whatever WR was there....that lead to the sack.  Taking away throwing lanes where the QB has to hold it for a split second longer is as good as a splash play.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Splash plays aren't needed to be a determent in the passing game.

There's a video in the post game day thread where Bernard passed off the WR to White and then took out the other throwing option on the curl to whatever WR was there....that lead to the sack.  Taking away throwing lanes where the QB has to hold it for a split second longer is as good as a splash play.

Sure but it’s not like the Scarecrow was the best ever at even that. 

At a certain point, these things add up.

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

Given his draft position and physical attributes, this is why I say he sucks.  He could and should be much better but IMO he doesn't have the heart for it.  He did a bit better last year when a big fat contract was riding on it but he's returned to baseline.

Yea I understand it as a "relative to draft selection and contract" argument.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea I understand it as a "relative to draft selection and contract" argument.

I wouldn’t say he sucked in Buffalo but he definitely sucked yesterday.  I watched that game and keyed on him and he literally was just standing around.  Didn’t see him run full speed a single time including on a delayed blitz when he pushed into the lineman with zero violence or tenacity.  Something is wrong with him physically or mentally.  He wasn’t explosive here but he was better than that.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I wouldn’t say he sucked in Buffalo but he definitely sucked yesterday.  I watched that game and keyed on him and he literally was just standing around.  Didn’t see him run full speed a single time including on a delayed blitz when he pushed into the lineman with zero violence or tenacity.  Something is wrong with him physically or mentally.  He wasn’t explosive here but he was better than that.

Well, he plays for the Bears. You could say that about practically anyone on the roster. They have a much bigger issue than individual performance over there.

I'm sure he's happy to have all that money, but I guarantee he has second guessed it at least once or twice over the last couple of months.

Especially if this bad team brings him down far enough that he doesnt get another contract after the Bears cut him in a few years.

It's certainly an interesting situation and case study to watch.

34 minutes ago, Einstein said:

No he didn’t.

He is not worth $18M and the Bills wisely let him walk and i’m very happy with Bernard, but Edmunds didn’t suck.

Bills fans are a fickle bunch.  First, everyone is saying how much the team will miss Edmunds, now it’s suddenly “Edmunds sucks.”

Overall I think Edmunds was a good player.  His length and speed did deter QB’s from throwing into zones and be covered a lot of ground in the passing game.  He had his moments with run stops but it became apparent that it would not be his strong suit.  

He just never seemed to rise to the occasion and make big plays in big moments.  This was my main criticism of him, especially considering he was for a new contract.  

What was the best Edmunds game?  What was his signature play?  

I knew that he would be paid as a top LB and I didn’t think his play warranted that.  I also wondered how a different type of LB would play in his spot.  I guess we’re seeing this now in Bernard

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Has anyone seen any reports about what his supposed "injury" was yesterday?  Because my suspicion is he was benched after casually watching the Kelce TD.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Blindness?  

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Einstein said:

No he didn’t.

He is not worth $18M and the Bills wisely let him walk and i’m very happy with Bernard, but Edmunds didn’t suck.

You didn't watch the same game I watched then... his pass coverage was ABYSMAL and he was exposed.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.