Few things not being talked about concerning this offense.

PrimeTime101

Great post.  

Re: the O-line observations:  I just watched a good breakdown of the O-line play on youtube (Joe Marino - not sure if anyone has watched him, but it was great analysis).  A lot of similar observations - Brown was solid, as was Dawkins & the interior.  A couple of misses, but most of the pressure was JA sliding left or right when he could have stepped up in the pocket, or otherwise not managing the protection too well.  

That's really correctable stuff, and the overall conclusion was that people are WAY overreacting to how the line played in those series Josh was in.

5 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I will just list.

#1. Morse.. He missed his assignment twice and his pff has been on the decline over the last 3 years. He needs to stop blocking thin air...

#2. The is no game planning in preseason. 

#3. We have not seen much of Knox and Kincaid on the field at the same time. I think if this were properly game planned, Knox gets his hands on One of the best 

Ends in the League Watt. IF you think that Brown is going to have one of the best DE in the league alone all game then that is delusional. There are not many Tackles that can take Watt alone period.

#4 Huge over reaction on Brown.. the dude played better then we thought after looking at all 22. I mean? He was left ALONE most of the time against a premier DE.. come on. 

#5 O'Line communication in general was bad at times.

#6 That Illegal block to the block was bs. It was shoulder to shoulder, no hands on the back and the dude at the same time dived towards the RB.  Refs need glasses....

#7 JA twice side stepped when he should have just stepped up into the pocket, making our tackles do an impossible job of having to anchor even more.. that no good. 

#8 Twice cook had 2 amazing blocks right in the middle against LBS. his lower body is better

#9 2nd and 2? bounce inside not outside on that run and just worry about getting the run to a first down... not a "home run"

Penalties.

If anyone should worry about anything right now? Its the Penalties. Undisciplined BS.  IF they going to play like they back in college then treat them that way and start

making them do laps for stupid penalties. This is 100% a reflection on coaching and should worry you the most. 

The good news is? it was just preseason. We tried new things, new formations, for gods sake they had Davis blocking one the inside on a run play lol... that did not work but they

had to try. 

lol

I think we all at first over reacted but when you see the all 22 

Dan explains it the best on early drive

I agree with most of what you say here. Brown even had some good plays as well.

What I found more concerning was Dawkins. Man he looked out of shape. Not sure how we can fix that. How is anyone out of shape 3 weeks into camp? 

6 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I will just list.

#1. Morse.. He missed his assignment twice and his pff has been on the decline over the last 3 years. He needs to stop blocking thin air...

#2. The is no game planning in preseason. 

#3. We have not seen much of Knox and Kincaid on the field at the same time. I think if this were properly game planned, Knox gets his hands on One of the best 

Ends in the League Watt. IF you think that Brown is going to have one of the best DE in the league alone all game then that is delusional. There are not many Tackles that can take Watt alone period.

#4 Huge over reaction on Brown.. the dude played better then we thought after looking at all 22. I mean? He was left ALONE most of the time against a premier DE.. come on. 

#5 O'Line communication in general was bad at times.

#6 That Illegal block to the block was bs. It was shoulder to shoulder, no hands on the back and the dude at the same time dived towards the RB.  Refs need glasses....

#7 JA twice side stepped when he should have just stepped up into the pocket, making our tackles do an impossible job of having to anchor even more.. that no good. 

#8 Twice cook had 2 amazing blocks right in the middle against LBS. his lower body is better

#9 2nd and 2? bounce inside not outside on that run and just worry about getting the run to a first down... not a "home run"

Penalties.

If anyone should worry about anything right now? Its the Penalties. Undisciplined BS.  IF they going to play like they back in college then treat them that way and start

making them do laps for stupid penalties. This is 100% a reflection on coaching and should worry you the most. 

The good news is? it was just preseason. We tried new things, new formations, for gods sake they had Davis blocking one the inside on a run play lol... that did not work but they

had to try. 

lol

I think we all at first over reacted but when you see the all 22 

Dan explains it the best on early drive

Yea we are just all ready for real football and always have to remember preseason is not real football only real opponents that you gotta play smart against as theý won't hold back on a hard hit.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I agree with most of what you say here. Brown even had some good plays as well.

What I found more concerning was Dawkins. Man he looked out of shape. Not sure how we can fix that. How is anyone out of shape 3 weeks into camp? 

you scheme it. HB pitches the DE then goes on the rout. Or a TE helps on that side when needed. Dawkins has taken a step back but hes not horrible. 

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Just wondering when has Brown played good? Not trying to be silly. I really can't remember saying wow Brown looks solid today. 

Go watch the linked video. I am not saying good as in great.. but he was most times solid and he had 2 bs penalties called on him..

Refs were homers.... 

2 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

On Spencer brown- on his holding penalty, he got absolutely abused by a backup DE.

1-2 negative plays is all it takes for a tackle to have a bad game, and Brown seemed to have 1-2 bad plays in the first quarter alone.

Starters are not going to win every rep. It doesn’t matter who you are.

It’s all about consistency

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Starters are not going to win every rep. It doesn’t matter who you are.

It’s all about consistency

I know. But when has Spencer brown ever shown consistency in his career?

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Sherfield  made a great catch in traffic

That was his one bad play.  This post is an example of confirmation bias.

It would seem Brown will replace Edmunds as the whipping boy this year.

Yes one bad play in a quarter against a backup. 

He doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt.

I am not automatically going to write him off, but he’s a major concern at a premium position as of now 

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

I know. But when has Spencer brown ever shown consistency in his career?

I thought that he was showing consistency on Saturday

I mean, when you get past the loss, you start dissecting the good with the bad, and there was a lot of bad to be dissected, but it didn’t necessarily come from Spencer Brown

In all honesty, Dockins looked worse

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I thought that he was showing consistency on Saturday

I mean, when you get past the loss, you start dissecting the good with the bad, and there was a lot of bad to be dissected, but it didn’t necessarily come from Spencer Brown

In all honesty, Dockins looked worse

I agree Dawkins looked worse.

My point what I’m trying to say though is if you’re a tackle and let 1-2 bad plays in a game, those are game changing negative plays.

And getting crushed by a backup DE in just one quarter does nothing to elevate my confidence in Spencer brown

32 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I agree Dawkins looked worse.

My point what I’m trying to say though is if you’re a tackle and let 1-2 bad plays in a game, those are game changing negative plays.

And getting crushed by a backup DE in just one quarter does nothing to elevate my confidence in Spencer brown

Hence my comment about confirmation bias and Brown now being the whipping boy now that Edmunds has left.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Hence my comment about confirmation bias and Brown now being the whipping boy now that Edmunds has left.

I really don’t understand.

Brown has been underwhelming the first 2 years and got beat bad by a backup defensive end on 1 rep in the 1st quarter.

Do you disagree with any of that?

9 hours ago, Chas56 said:

In an old psychological study on race, two pictures were shown: one had two white guys fighting while one of them had a knife, the other picture had a white  guy and black guy fighting with the white guy holding the knife. The observers were asked later, who had the knife? They got the first one right, but the second image was misremembered with the black guy holding the knife.

so people falsely blame spencer because he’s Brown…. Spencer Brown 

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

I really don’t understand.

Brown has been underwhelming the first 2 years and got beat bad by a backup defensive end on 1 rep in the 1st quarter.

Do you disagree with any of that?

Held up well against an All Pro in Watts.  But God forbid you mention that.

Focusing on one play and ignoring everything else from the game is pretty much the definition of confirmation bias.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Held up well against an All Pro in Watts.  But God forbid you mention that.

Focusing on one play and ignoring everything else from the game is pretty much the definition of confirmation bias.

As a tackle you can’t have one bad mistake a quarter. That’s my point. It’s not confirmation bias

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.