Few things not being talked about concerning this offense.

PrimeTime101

27 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Actually in Marino’s Locked On Bills podcast, he went in depth about the pressures Josh faced and said Spencer was only responsible for one pressure. Most of the blame for the pressure he placed on Allen for either running out of a clean pocket, dropping with too much depth, or holding onto the ball after a 7 step drop.

This is true. But he also said that Spencer brown looked very vulnerable the whole time he was in and he had big concerns

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Chas56 said:

In an old psychological study on race, two pictures were shown: one had two white guys fighting while one of them had a knife, the other picture had a white  guy and black guy fighting with the white guy holding the knife. The observers were asked later, who had the knife? They got the first one right, but the second image was misremembered with the black guy holding the knife.

What's interesting is that the study you're referencing has been misreported/misremembered for years, most notably by CNN in a piece about implicit bias.  Here's an informative article on the history of the claimed study and how it's been misreported over time.  https://www.zebrafactcheck.com/cnn-misreports-classic-study-race/. It illustrates another valuable and related point - that we should review the data/objective evidence (i.e., the source material, which, in our case is game film), before parroting popular narratives (Spencer Brown sucks).  

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

This is true. But he also said that Spencer brown looked very vulnerable the whole time he was in and he had big concerns

For what it's worth we didn't have Knox in the game and while he's not a great blocker he's our best blocking TE we have on this team, in fact not sure we had Reggie Gilliam dressed either. I agree Brown is a question mark but not sure we had our complete starting team on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Joe Marino broke down his game film and said it was not good. Which makes sense as that’s what I saw when watching live.

And for Joe to say that says a lot, as he’s been the biggest Spencer brown homer

I've only heard the first segment but I heard him say brown was responsible for one pressure on Allen's 11 dropbacks, I have to hear the rest of the episode though 

44 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Nvm I was still on previous page 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Success said:

Great post.  

Re: the O-line observations:  I just watched a good breakdown of the O-line play on youtube (Joe Marino - not sure if anyone has watched him, but it was great analysis).  A lot of similar observations - Brown was solid, as was Dawkins & the interior.  A couple of misses, but most of the pressure was JA sliding left or right when he could have stepped up in the pocket, or otherwise not managing the protection too well.  

That's really correctable stuff, and the overall conclusion was that people are WAY overreacting to how the line played in those series Josh was in.

Josh is used to having pressure right in his face.  It will take him some time to trust the IOL and learn to step up and throw.

It could very well be that when that happens, with his threat to run, it could very well make the LBs and/or SS take a step forward.

Could be very advantageous for Dorsey to draw up some plays using that tactic.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Chas56 said:

I wasn't really going for the race part. It's more a reaction to the idea that people rely a lot on preset ideas about things. This board seems to be anti Spencer Brown, so people see what they expect to see.

Maybe a better example?

Perception (Copy).jpg

• Like (+1) 1

Escher would approve. I have hazy memories of psychology classes from the 1970s. I admit I looked up the reference, which, it appears, wasn't accurate. I do kinda remember something about a subway. One should always have hands-on references. In graduate school, I had to do a 100 entry bibliography. I had to physically touch each reference. I guess I've become lazy in my old age. 

By my count, there was exactly one time that Josh took a true drop back (ie. not a pre-determined quick-hitter, screen, or roll out) in which he didn’t have help.  It was the play where Golden smoked him and he had to tackle him to prevent Josh from getting drilled.  He didn’t “look good against Watt”.  There wasn’t a single snap in which he had to man-up against him.  

Literally every single snap where there were both in the game was game-planned to prevent Brown from having to pass protect.  That’s to be expected against one of the few truly elite pass rushers in the game, but you can’t really say that a Tackle held up well against a guy when the offense built an entire game plan around not leaving him on an island.

Edited by Billl

14 minutes ago, Billl said:

By my count, there was exactly one time that Josh took a true drop back (ie. not a pre-determined quick-hitter, screen, or roll out) in which he didn’t have help.  It was the play where Golden smoked him and he had to tackle him to prevent Josh from getting drilled.  He didn’t “look good against Watt”.  There wasn’t a single snap in which he had to man-up against him.  

Literally every single snap where there were both in the game was game-planned to prevent Brown from having to pass protect.  That’s to be expected against one of the few truly elite pass rushers in the game, but you can’t really say that a Tackle held up well against a guy when the offense built an entire game plan around not leaving him on an island.

Some people see what they wanted to see. the all 22 shows otherwise. 

7 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

What's interesting is that the study you're referencing has been misreported/misremembered for years, most notably by CNN in a piece about implicit bias.  Here's an informative article on the history of the claimed study and how it's been misreported over time.  https://www.zebrafactcheck.com/cnn-misreports-classic-study-race/. It illustrates another valuable and related point - that we should review the data/objective evidence (i.e., the source material, which, in our case is game film), before parroting popular narratives (Spencer Brown sucks).  

That's an informative article you link to. Most folks won't read it. And the experts caught up in hypocrisy or error are never really held accountable.

When the message is congenial to the platform that acts as a megaphone, agreement with the preferred narrative is more powerful than contrary facts. Brown is still a big question mark. I've been skeptical, but am heartened by signs that he is playing reasonably well. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

That's an informative article you link to. Most folks won't read it. And the experts caught up in hypocrisy or error are never really held accountable.

When the message is congenial to the platform that acts as a megaphone, agreement with the preferred narrative is more powerful than contrary facts. Brown is still a big question mark. I've been skeptical, but am heartened by signs that he is playing reasonably well. 

I think everything is baby steps. with the player and fan. You hear so many times on how bad a player is and you believe it till you realize.. wait a minute. he giving JA 3-4 seconds and then look at things like.. how far JA steps backwards... how much is to much horizontal movement for JA? 0 Scheming in preseason. then things make more sense. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.