Beane to blame

balln

12 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Point by point:

1.  I am a believer that you win up front.   The Bills have not been in a position to draft a top end tackle because of the success they've had - most of those guys go in the top of the first round.  Brown had a tough outing yesterday from what I'm reading (haven't watched the game yet).  But you can't blame a GM for not being Nostradamus when you go out and get a veteran who's started in the league as competition, and he decides to retire.  So it was not a joke.  I think we're either going to see another T brought in this week, or we may see the Dutch kid get the start.  

2.  I am wondering if Dawkins may be suffering from long Covid effects myself.  If so, the medical staff needed to alert Beane.  But I think Dawkins will be OK.  we should prioritize drafting a T next year though.

3.  If Poyer leaves in free agency who do you have to replace him?  No one knew if Hamlin could or would play again.  And we hadn't even sniffed at Rapp yet.  Poyer will also be fine.  He may have lost a step, but veterans make up for that with their understanding of where plays are going.  So I am not panicking over one run in a pre-season game.  

4.  Without Oliver you would have had 1 DT under contract next year.  One.  Oliver will also be fine, everyone was expecting the second coming of Donald.

5.  Elam needs to learn zone concepts more and quit grabbing as much.  It is the beginning of his second season in the league and he's still got things to learn.   We have 4 corners that can play in the NFL which is more than many teams can say.

So aside from the first point, you are saying, in order:

2) Mismanaged team or missed evaluation in Dawkins.

3) Mismanaged personnel and you believe there’s nobody else they could have signed.. false, safety’s were cheap this year, see Rapp.

4) Mismanagement of the roster and doubled down by signing a liability to a huge contract.

5) Mismanagement of personnel, drafting the wrong type of player for this antiquated scheme.

8 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

This is perfect, the Chiefs made the OL a priority and the Bills have made the DL their priority. Up until now it looked like most of our early draft picks for the DL looked average at best but it’s ironic to me that you have made these points about the Chiefs’ OL because I’ve felt that this year we finally have the DL to get to MaHomes and allow us to actually win consistently against them and not just in the regular season. It’s kind of reminds me when Coughlin’s Giants and their DL were always able to get to Brady and not only affect Brady but to consistently beat him in the big games. This is going to be interesting, I’m specifically going to watch our DL against the Chiefs’ OL when we play them later this year. 

Go Bills!

Remind us who beat the Chiefs in the SB last year?  How did the Bills do against the Chiefs in the playoffs?  Oh wait… 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

So aside from the first point, you are saying, in order:

2) Mismanaged team or missed evaluation in Dawkins.

3) Mismanaged personnel and you believe there’s nobody else they could have signed.. false, safety’s were cheap this year, see Rapp.

4) Mismanagement of the roster and doubled down by signing a liability to a huge contract.

5) Mismanagement of personnel, drafting the wrong type of player for this antiquated scheme.

Remind us who beat the Chiefs in the SB last year?  How did the Bills do against the Chiefs in the playoffs?  Oh wait… 

Try again.  Poyer knows the defense well but now you’re panicking over one play in a preseason game.  Oliver suffers from the fact that too many people think he should be Aaron Donald when in reality he does his job well.  Dawkins needs to get his head out of his ass and play better.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, uticaclub said:

We don't have a RT, Dawkins regressed the last few years, Poyer wanted out of Buffalo but didn't get any other offers. Eric Washington didn't have anything good to say about Oliver but we extended him anyway We peaked with McDermott & Beane, tear it down & try again. It was a good run

Please tell me this isn’t an unironic “fire everybody” post after a preseason game. Some of y’all really need to get a grip.

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

I don’t understand your points here. I clearly stated that I felt that THIS YEAR’S DL can finally be the kind of DL to get to MaHomes and allow us to actually win consistently against them and not just in the regular season. I fully realize that we haven’t been consistently successful against the Chiefs, especially in the post season where we haven’t won any in recent years.

The reality of the NFL is you win with QB play and try to gather as many good players around that QB as possible in a league that is hurting for talent across the board.

Offensive lines around the league are horrendous.

Edited by Beast

Let’s discuss the bad without the good?

good

kincaid

judging by how you want to use this last preseason game he made a good call in keeping Gabe Davis at number 2 

interior line of McGovern - beane move and Torrence - beane move are solid grade As

poyer will have 7-8 picks this year and you will buy his jersey

josh will make LT Dawkins look decent as he always does

ill only agree on the issues at RT 

On 8/20/2023 at 4:51 AM, balln said:

Is anyone else thinking this team was grossly mismanaged by beane ?

The double down on Spencer brown with no depth or drafting (shell signing and retiring is a joke)

just saying yea Dion dawkins is the starter - giving no competition to that fat slug. The wing eating contest at practice thing during playoffs or end of season was a wtf moment. Go back and watch cincy playoff game. Dawkins was worse than spencer

everyone and their mother would have let an aging / battle injured safety just go in FA. But instead we sign him back. Poyer starts getting beat w speed more and more. Every kc game , and Mia game it’s glaring 

everyone and their mother would not have extended Ed Oliver . My god he’s a liability on most plays. 

The elam first round pick! Enough said. can’t get on the field 

the investments both high draft picks and FA signings to the DL with poor return 

I've been and still am one of the loudest critics of this team, but if this oline ends up being a complete disaster this year who do you blame?

On one hand it looks like Torrence is going to be a stud (albeit based on just camp/preseason thus far), but the rest of the group has serious questions particularly at both tackle spots.

We keep hearing about Aaron Kromer being one of the best oline coaches in the league but so far this group has been at it's worse under his watch.

On the defensive line front we hear about how deep and loaded this unit is, yet getting consistent pressure and finishing with sacks and turnovers remains elusive.

In the end yes Beane is ultimately going to be to blame and still think if you take away JA17 he's no better than all the other GM's that have come through Buffalo since 2000.

22 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Brown is a puffed up TE. Put on 80 lbs (!) in college ahead of the shift to T.

Or to be more accurate, a puffed up 6'8" basketball/baseball/TE/DL player. A project, both when he was drafted and today. He may be adequate of even good someday. If I were the Texans HC I'd have given him the starting RT job right out of his rookie camp. 

We are not the Texans, hoping to compete by Brown's 3rd or 4th season. Wrong player for a win-now team.

Sounds like Jason Peters to me.  LOL.

There have definitely been some questionable decisions the past few years.

1. Not making more of an effort to get a MLB replacement (drafting Bernard, Dorian, no FAs, etc...)

2. No real competition for Spencer Brown

3. Not getting a better WR #2 complement

4. Investing so much draft and FA capital in our D line rotation at the expense of other position groups (See above). (Why is D-line the only group that needs to rotate constantly?)

the trading up and sacrificing picks every year starts to catch up to you.  Not hitting on draft picks in rounds 1-3 makes it worse

• Agree 1

On 8/20/2023 at 7:51 AM, balln said:

The double down on Spencer brown with no depth or drafting (shell signing and retiring is a joke)

just saying yea Dion dawkins is the starter - giving no competition to that fat slug. The wing eating contest at practice thing during playoffs or end of season was a wtf moment. Go back and watch cincy playoff game. Dawkins was worse than spencer

everyone and their mother would have let an aging / battle injured safety just go in FA. But instead we sign him back. Poyer starts getting beat w speed more and more. Every kc game , and Mia game it’s glaring 

everyone and their mother would not have extended Ed Oliver . My god he’s a liability on most plays. 

the investments both high draft picks and FA signings to the DL with poor return 

You just called Schoop and the Bulldog didn't you???  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/20/2023 at 7:51 AM, balln said:

I share a source with Stephen A. and he says Beane says YOU are to blame! Take THAT! 

I didn’t think I could really ruin this thread. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.