Hawaii fires

Gregg

Horrific. Problem is that in places like Lahaina there is literally no place to go other than trying to flee into the ocean when fire sweeps down from the hills. Honeymooned on Maui 36 years ago...looks like the the place we stayed in Lahaina took a direct hit.

The first thing I thought of when I heard there were massive fires in Lahaina I thought of the huge banyon tree. I wonder if it survived this 😞

Chris Berman used to talk about Lahaina a lot. There are a lot of heartbroken people today over this tragic event.  Lord have Mercy. 

4 hours ago, DD4Bills said:

Horrific. Problem is that in places like Lahaina there is literally no place to go other than trying to flee into the ocean when fire sweeps down from the hills. Honeymooned on Maui 36 years ago...looks like the the place we stayed in Lahaina took a direct hit.

additionally, supply chain for recovery will be monumentally more challenging than most US disaster recoveries. Along with temp shelter for locals and rebuilders. 

just a ton of challenges associated with this devastation

I was on Oahu and the Big Island in April. It’s understandable how some people would have trouble evacuating as other than Oahu the other islands don’t have a lot of options for roads, especially outside of the towns. On the Big Island there is one main road that rings around the perimeter of the island, and one main road that cuts across the middle from east to west. And in some parts it’s only 2 lanes.

2 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

I was on Oahu and the Big Island in April. It’s understandable how some people would have trouble evacuating as other than Oahu the other islands don’t have a lot of options for roads, especially outside of the towns. On the Big Island there is one main road that rings around the perimeter of the island, and one main road that cuts across the middle from east to west. And in some parts it’s only 2 lanes.

Same. What dates were you there. I was April 17-may 2nd. Those two lane roads suck(looking at you Saddle Rd). No lights or yellow lights that don't light up much because of the observatory. I understand why there's so many deaths on them. Then if there's an issue there's no way to go around because of all the lava rocks. 

My family tried to get me to stay. No way. It's nice to visit but there's not a chance I'd attempt to live there. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Same. What dates were you there. I was April 17-may 2nd. Those two lane roads suck(looking at you Saddle Rd). No lights or yellow lights that don't light up much because of the observatory. I understand why there's so many deaths on them. Then if there's an issue there's no way to go around because of all the lava rocks. 

My family tried to get me to stay. No way. It's nice to visit but there's not a chance I'd attempt to live there. 

I was there the first two weeks in April, so before you.

I guess this would be the place to ask @GoBills808 you OK, man?

Your farm on the Big Island I think, not as hard hit as Oahu but still seeing fires?

11 hours ago, muppy said:

The first thing I thought of when I heard there were massive fires in Lahaina I thought of the huge banyon tree. I wonder if it survived this 😞

Chris Berman used to talk about Lahaina a lot. There are a lot of heartbroken people today over this tragic event.  Lord have Mercy. 

They posted before and after fire pictures of the banyan tree, it's still standing but looks as though it is badly burnt

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/10/us/lahaina-banyan-tree.html

Edited by Beck Water

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I guess this would be the place to ask @GoBills808 you OK, man?

Your farm on the Big Island I think, not as hard hit as Oahu but still seeing fires?

yes ty

we had a couple little fires early tuesday morning but nothing major...ran irrigation lines all over the place lol

maui is the island that took it the worst

Lahaina is gone

27 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

yes ty

we had a couple little fires early tuesday morning but nothing major...ran irrigation lines all over the place lol

Lahaina is gone

Glad to know it, Man.  Stay safe.

Really tough break for a lot of folks, though

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

yes ty

Lahaina is gone

I met a guy at a pizza shop in Kona who had a Kia with a Hawaii “BILLS” license plate. Was that you?

Was playing a trip to Kaanapali Beach(just north of Lahaina) and Oahu for the spring, and just changed our plans to Oahu only because of the crazy cost of hotels on Maui. As it turns out, we now would not be going to Maui either way.   😞

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

anecdotal Cool story:

today my church hosted a once a year massive Rummage Sale with proceeds used to fund missions . Towards the end of the sale when we usually are packing up goods that haven't sold to donate to Goodwill a member showed up named Joy and she is Hawaiian.

She announced that she has a contact with ability to ship relief items to Maui. She and a few people took mens, womens and kids clothes and they will be arriving. shortly. I'm talking about 10 48 gallon garbage bags FULL of stuff. 

I would not be surprised to read of more  efforts to aid and money raised for Maui in these next days. They surely need it.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, T&C said:

They're going to blame the corporations over their own government who did not do their civil obligation to protect the natural resources?

Refusing to burn, refusing to take care of the grasslands and woodlands, and simply allowing overcrowding to occur is sad.

Insurance will offer a payout and hopefully he power company ups the charges back on the people.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/12/2023 at 5:45 PM, LabattBlue said:

Was playing a trip to Kaanapali Beach(just north of Lahaina) and Oahu for the spring, and just changed our plans to Oahu only because of the crazy cost of hotels on Maui. As it turns out, we now would not be going to Maui either way.   😞

Stayed there twice, spent a lot of time in Lahaina while visiting.  It is/was my favorite place in the world.  So beauitful, loved the island vibe

3 hours ago, T&C said:

They are offering these people $700.00. Lol

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Sleazy real estate developers looking to take advantage of people who have lost everything by trying to buy up their property that has been burned to the ground.  

I'm wondering how much an ocean-front house in Hawaii is worth.

Most of the residents will probably sell their property to Oprah and move to a lower cost of living state, like Texas.

3 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

I'm wondering how much an ocean-front house in Hawaii is worth.

Most of the residents will probably sell their property to Oprah and move to a lower cost of living state, like Texas.

This “gem” in the center of Lahaini sold two years ago for 825k.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1073-Front-St-Lahaina-HI-96761/758684_zpid/

Edited by LabattBlue

41 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Sleazy real estate developers looking to take advantage of people who have lost everything by trying to buy up their property that has been burned to the ground…and I would venture to guess it is wel below market value 

I get the buy low sell high concept but these sharks are quite simply gross. These people lost every possession they had.. ***** all of these scumbags.

On 8/16/2023 at 8:24 AM, Not at the table Karlos said:

Yeah the only pics I have of it are too big as well. Did he have the logo on the back window yet? 

Read thread I put in customer service board on posting larger images

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/248101-how-to-to-get-larger-images-to-be-posted/#comment-8447461

30 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I don't have permission to view it. 

Evidently you can put questions in Customer Service forum but no one but moderators can see it.

Maybe it was abused in past by spammers.

Defeats purpose of creating thread to help out with frequent question.

Posting-Large-Images.png

• Thank you (+1) 1

Horrifying. The local news has been consumed by this and you just can't take yourself away from each individual horror story.

Gonna end up being the worst fire in American history. Shouldn't happen in modern times.

We're super dry in the state generally, though. Wednesday I drove next to a brush fire on Wednesday in Wahiawa that burned 450 acres. Today I heard there was another brush fire on Old Farrington Road between where I live and where my in-laws live.

@GoBills808 I'm glad you and your farm are okay. Big Island so frequently gets hit hard... glad you were spared of this.

Need the rainy season 

On 8/16/2023 at 6:08 PM, LabattBlue said:

This “gem” in the center of Lahaini sold two years ago for 825k.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1073-Front-St-Lahaina-HI-96761/758684_zpid/

Check out all the combustibles around that house!  They didn't do what this house did and the reason why this house survived:

MiracleHouseOfLahaina_082023_Compressed.thumb.jpg.9d7ee56b6cfb53dcc4105631a234012e.jpg

Who's fault is it why the other houses burned? Some will view this being the hand of Providence... It's the proper hand of humans. Serendipity at best, maybe the structural elements weren't added for fire protection, but they served as fire protection features.  Can they learn from it?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.