Training Camp 7/31 9:45 AM - Full pads this week

Lost

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I still think Elam has a good shot to win the job, but he is going to need to earn it because Dane and Benford are no slouch.  And once you are drafted, your draft slot means nothing, its all about what you do on the field.  Doesn't matter if the best players comes from an UDFA or a first round pick, just matters who is playing the best and most ready to help us win games.

True, but you need a decent batting average on early round picks.  I have been a staunch defender of Bills’ drafts, but there have been a lot of early round disappointments.  Hopefully, Elam isn’t one of them.

15 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Bernard, at least stature-wise, reminds me of TJ Edwards.  Size isn't everything, *insert joke here*, but Bernard's instincts, quickness to read/react and ability to use his hands to shed blocks...was a big plus from Baylor scouts.

He fits the athletic measurables, undersized guys like him usually take a year or so of NFL training, to see any potential.  I don't think LY was a good indicator at all, and still think Dodson has the leg up.  Worse case, we find a sub package role or he's a S/T replacement for Big Red

what was alarming to me was that Bernard last year looked like he had no instincts. It was in very limited snaps— but he still looked lost.

I agree that his stature is irrelevant— but he hopefully is more comfortable in year 2 and can now rely on his instincts 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Top 10 ILBs by AAV per Spotrac (note: I'm aware there are rookies on 1st contracts who are good and also that this combines 3-4 and 4-3 inside lb)

[All data per NFL Draft And Combine Profiles]

Roquan Smith 6'1 236 grade 7.0 "pro bowl talent"

Shaquille Leonard 6'2" 234 grade  grade 6.3 "will eventually be plus starter"

Fred Warner 6'3" 236 grade 6.1 "good backup with potential to develop into starter"

Tre Edmunds "wingspan of a pteradactyl" 6'5"253 grade 7.3 "perennial all-pro"

CJ Mosely 6'2" 234 grade 7.0 "pro bowl talent"

Deion Jones 6'1" 222 grade 6.1 "good backup with potential to develop into starter"

De'Vondre Campbell 6'4" 232 grade 5.8 "average backup or special teamer"

Demario Davis 6'2" 235 grade makes no sense, but profile written as "initial special teamer" - 6.1 maybe?

Devin White 6'0" 237 grade 6.7 "year 1 starter"

Ja'whaun Bently 6'2" 260  grade: 5.6 "bottom of roster or practice squad"

That's a height average of 6'2" with a range from 6'0" to 6'6"

Wt average 238 with a range from 222 to 260.

Our guy Terrel:

Terrel Bernard: 6'1" 224 grade 5.94 "average backup or special teamer

Free bonus from this year's draft:

Dorian Williams 6'1" 228 grade 6.1 "good backup with potential to develop into starter"
The MLB competition:

Tyrel Dodson 6'0" 237 grade 5.6 "candidate for bottom of roster or practice squad"

Baylon Spector 6'0" 233 grade 5.83 "average backup or special teamer"

So there you have it.  I included the draft grades from NFL Draft and Combine Profiles to show that while 4 of the top-10 contracts graded high before the draft, a number of others were graded as backups or bottom of the roster/ST guys.

It's not Bernard's size per se.  When I saw him in a game last season, I thought he was playing very tentative, like he was still thinking out there.  He'd make the right diagnosis, but get there late, and when he got there, he didn't THUMP, he would tackle and get dragged 3-5 yards.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

what was alarming to me was that Bernard last year looked like he had no instincts. It was in very limited snaps— but he still looked lost.

I agree that his stature is irrelevant— but he hopefully is more comfortable in year 2 and can now rely on his instincts 

I think his weight is relevant, and I was hoping he'd pack on some muscle.  But judging from the pics coming into OTAs and TC, not so much.

What I think you're seeing as "instincts" are that he's still processing what he sees and deciding what he needs to do, which makes him seem slow.

Some players speed up with time, and some don't.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Top 10 ILBs by AAV per Spotrac (note: I'm aware there are rookies on 1st contracts who are good and also that this combines 3-4 and 4-3 inside lb)

[All data per NFL Draft And Combine Profiles]

Roquan Smith 6'1 236 grade 7.0 "pro bowl talent"

Shaquille Leonard 6'2" 234 grade  grade 6.3 "will eventually be plus starter"

Fred Warner 6'3" 236 grade 6.1 "good backup with potential to develop into starter"

Tre Edmunds "wingspan of a pteradactyl" 6'5"253 grade 7.3 "perennial all-pro"

CJ Mosely 6'2" 234 grade 7.0 "pro bowl talent"

Deion Jones 6'1" 222 grade 6.1 "good backup with potential to develop into starter"

De'Vondre Campbell 6'4" 232 grade 5.8 "average backup or special teamer"

Demario Davis 6'2" 235 grade makes no sense, but profile written as "initial special teamer" - 6.1 maybe?

Devin White 6'0" 237 grade 6.7 "year 1 starter"

Ja'whaun Bently 6'2" 260  grade: 5.6 "bottom of roster or practice squad"

That's a height average of 6'2" with a range from 6'0" to 6'6"

Wt average 238 with a range from 222 to 260.

Our guy Terrel:

Terrel Bernard: 6'1" 224 grade 5.94 "average backup or special teamer

Free bonus from this year's draft:

Dorian Williams 6'1" 228 grade 6.1 "good backup with potential to develop into starter"
The MLB competition:

Tyrel Dodson 6'0" 237 grade 5.6 "candidate for bottom of roster or practice squad"

Baylon Spector 6'0" 233 grade 5.83 "average backup or special teamer"

So there you have it.  I included the draft grades from NFL Draft and Combine Profiles to show that while 4 of the top-10 contracts graded high before the draft, a number of others were graded as backups or bottom of the roster/ST guys.

It's not Bernard's size per se.  When I saw him in a game last season, I thought he was playing very tentative, like he was still thinking out there.  He'd make the right diagnosis, but get there late, and when he got there, he didn't THUMP, he would tackle and get dragged 3-5 yards.

Idk, I think his size/strength could be a problem.  I’d like to see a comparison of his body from day a last season to day 1 this season.  The pics I’ve seen of him this year, he looks the same.  Very little definition compared to everyone else’s. Imo, he NEEDS to add muscle and play strength if he wants to play MLB in the NFL.  

Look at Matt Milanos body transformation over the years.  He was always in good shape, but now he’s a lean mean ripped smashing machine.  Bernard looks small and WEAK next to him….. and he’s playing the position that requires more size and strength than Milanos. 

I’m pulling for the guy, but if he can’t change his body, I don’t see him ever succeeding as a starting mlb.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Idk, I think his size/strength could be a problem.  I’d like to see a comparison of his body from day a last season to day 1 this season.  The pics I’ve seen of him this year, he looks the same.  Very little definition compared to everyone else’s. Imo, he NEEDS to add muscle and play strength if he wants to play MLB in the NFL.  

Look at Matt Milanos body transformation over the years.  He was always in good shape, but now he’s a lean mean ripped smashing machine.  Bernard looks small and WEAK next to him….. and he’s playing the position that requires more size and strength than Milanos. 

I’m pulling for the guy, but if he can’t change his body, I don’t see him ever succeeding as a starting mlb.  

This is exactly it for me as well.  He just looks weak and like he doesn’t belong in a NFL LB room.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don't disagree with you a bit. I would say his size isn't a problem, but his strength (indicated by light weight) is.

I was hoping to see Bernard put on more muscle myself, taking a leaf from the Milano playbook.

I agree, in the glimpses I've seen, he looks about the same.

That was my biggest knock on Bernard in the 1 game we saw him play for Milano last season: he would get to the right place, tackle, and get dragged literally for yards.

Both Dodson, Spector, and even Williams are heavier

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Nephilim17 said:

It's not impossible for a guy Bernard's size to be a good MLB — but he has to make up for the lack of size in other ways. Is that happening yet? Not yet in the reports I've seen. Maybe it will come...

I hear ya…but for some reason I’m not concerned about MLB…call me crazy but I just feel the cream will eventually rise to the top…👍

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.