Training Camp 7/31 9:45 AM - Full pads this week

Lost

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I don’t think his spot on the team is in jeopardy either I think a bit more in terms of playing time

They paid a lot of money for Harti and they drafted Kincaid

Don't disagree that guys like Harty, Sherfield and Kincaid are going to likely earn a decent amount of targets.  In fact I keep saying Harty and Sherfield are better than people think and will play more than people think, well assuming Harty stays healthy.  So yeah, as far as Shakir goes, I am not expecting a Cole Beasley level role for him, too many mouths to feed.  But he will likely be top of depth chart for slot with Kincaid taking a good share of snaps away from the slot spot either by 2 TE sets or Kincaid flat out lining up in the slot.  

7 hours ago, eball said:

He was also joking with Diggs and Dorsey moments later, stayed to sign autographs, told media members he passed by that he was ok, and did an extended, stand-up interview with NFL Network afterwards.  Never seen by trainers, no hurry to get into the locker room.

I’d say your concern is a little unfounded.

Seeing as how Beane spent his #1 draft pick and WR FA pool on three slot players, I’m not sure how you come to that conclusion at this point in training camp.

Harty was brought in to take the top off defenses, not to start at slot.  His durability issues are not suited for a heavy starting role, he is here to do all the things McKenzie couldn't do which just about all aspects of playing WR, but especially a deep threat who stretches the defense.  Sherfield is here to backup on the outside, not play slot.

Can those guys move into the slot when needed, sure, but that was not why they were brought here.  Shakir is the starting slot heading into camp...maybe someone like Isabella can revive his career and challenge him for the slot spot, but his primary reason for being signed was the Hines injury and needing to look at more options for returners.  

Kincaid won't be the starting slot WR, but he will absolutely get a lot of slot reps this year for sure which will certainly cap the reps and targets for whoever enters week 1 as the top slot WR.

On 7/31/2023 at 11:54 PM, jletha said:

Only positive spin: Josh likes to escape right and is dangerous when he does. So many rushers will be instructed to not go too aggressive and leave any running lanes on the right side.

But yea..its a problem

Spencer Brown by all accounts has looked really good this year.

It's early, and this is the first day in pads, but he was injured last year. Let's at least give him a clean slate and see how it goes.

On 8/1/2023 at 12:48 AM, PrimeTime101 said:

TJ! Bro! He has a Red Shirt on!.

It's a lot harder for a DB than a DL.

The rusher is staring at the QB, shirt included. Didn't see the play, but the DB is supposed to be watching the ball, and might easily miss the shirt.

Just sayin'. Again, I didn't see the play.

On 8/1/2023 at 2:46 AM, yall said:

It seemed like half of his tackle stats were padded by being the 3rd man in the pile.

Sour grapes. He's worth what he got. We just didn't have the cash to pay him now.

On 8/1/2023 at 2:50 AM, HappyDays said:

Notes from Matt Parrino and Ryan Talbot:

Hap, you're on fire today.

Thanks so much for combing through this stuff and posting it here. Love it, love it, love it. Great work, and again, thanks, to all of you folks doing this.

I'm working my way through the thread page by page and am really appreciating all the extra input from so many eyes.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/1/2023 at 2:51 AM, Beck Water said:

I dunno about that.  But one pattern that struck me, that I'm not sure how it will play out, is that Milano has clearly been making an effort not to get injured by being "superman" if he's a bit out of position to really close the deal.  So his tackle would slow the guy down and then Edmunds would close the deal.

I'm wondering how that will play this season.

I would be less than enthusiastic to meet Billy Buffalo.

Hey, man, support Billy!!

Guy must need an I.V. every day in this brutal heat. Hell of a hard job at camp.

On 8/1/2023 at 4:06 AM, OldTimer1960 said:

This is exactly it for me as well.  He just looks weak and like he doesn’t belong in a NFL LB room.

Times have changed. If you're looking at today's LBs, he doesn't stand out. A smidge on the small side, maybe, but fits fine.  If you're looking through memory lane then yeah, they used to be bigger back then, fair enough.

Roquan is 6'1 236, just as a f'rinstance. Kuechly was 238.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 8/1/2023 at 6:25 AM, stevewin said:

I think it was fully accidental from the point of view in the moment he was in instinctive pass defense mode and red jersey wouldn't normally be roaming around as a receiver during live drill. No way do I think he makes the hit if he fully processed "oh that's Josh"

Yeah. And from what I've read, he was coming from behind, which meant that as he looked at the ball, Josh would have been entirely out of his field of vision as Taron closed ground. 

They are saying that at the last instant he tried to back off but it was too late. If you want guys to play fast, and you send a QB out on a pass play, stuff like this will happen. You wish it didn't happen on the first rep, though. In any case, Josh appears fine.

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Times have changed. If you're looking at today's LBs, he doesn't stand out. A smidge on the small side, maybe, but fits fine.  If you're looking through memory lane then yeah, they used to be bigger back then, fair enough.

Roquan is 6'1 236, just as a f'rinstance. Kuechly was 238.

I understand that today’s LBs are smaller, but faster than in the past, but a difference of 6’1” 236 vs Bernard’s 6’1” 220 is pretty substantial when you consider that is roughly 16 pounds of muscle.

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Sour grapes. He's worth what he got. We just didn't have the cash to pay him now.

Hap, you're on fire today.

Thanks so much for combing through this stuff and posting it here. Love it, love it, love it. Great work, and again, thanks, to all of you folks doing this.

I'm working my way through the thread page by page and am really appreciating all the extra input from so many eyes.

Not sour grapes in the least, more akin to good riddance. I didn't want to re-sign him, I wanted him replaced. I didn't feel he had the instincts to go along with his athletic ability.

1 hour ago, yall said:

Not sour grapes in the least, more akin to good riddance. I didn't want to re-sign him, I wanted him replaced. I didn't feel he had the instincts to go along with his athletic ability.

Yup. Good riddance to an excellent player is precisely sour grapes.

Kid yourself if you want, but even if you didn't want him back, they did. They made it clear over and over again. Salary cap thing.

They're going to have a worse player there this year. Hopefully not too much worse. But worse by a significant margin unless things change a lot.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I understand that today’s LBs are smaller, but faster than in the past, but a difference of 6’1” 236 vs Bernard’s 6’1” 220 is pretty substantial when you consider that is roughly 16 pounds of muscle.

Bernard was 224 at the combine and they said in camp last year he'd put on another couple of pounds. Dunno if he kept it on, obviously, but that's roughly 10 pounds of muscle in difference. Which just isn't all that much.

Fred Warner is 230.

As I said, he's on the small side but not by a ton.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup. Good riddance to an excellent player is precisely sour grapes.

Kid yourself if you want, but even if you didn't want him back, they did. They made it clear over and over again. Salary cap thing.

They're going to have a worse player there this year. Hopefully not too much worse. But worse by a significant margin unless things change a lot.

No it's not sour grapes. I think you need to look up the generally accepted definition of that term. It's more along the lines of " well if we can't have him then I didn't want him anyways" which in my case is not true.

I didn't want him at all at any price and believed him to be a liability to our defense as do a good number of people on this board judging by some of the threads on the topic.

You can disagree with my opinion on the player. That's fine. Lots of people thought he was fantastic. I did not.

That's not sour grapes. Just a difference of opinion.

14 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's early, and this is the first day in pads, but he was injured last year. Let's at least give him a clean slate and see how it goes.

He has? Are we taking about the several days prior to pads?

15 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

7 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

He has? Are we taking about the several days prior to pads?

No.  He just means he looks really good in a suit..

BROWN_SPENCER_39955.jpg

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Bernard was 224 at the combine and they said in camp last year he'd put on another couple of pounds. Dunno if he kept it on, obviously, but that's roughly 10 pounds of muscle in difference. Which just isn't all that much.

Fred Warner is 230.

As I said, he's on the small side but not by a ton.

I hope you are right, but compare Bernard to The rookie Dorian Williams who is listed at 228ish.  Williams looks quite a lot more muscular than does Bernard.  Now, I know speed, instincts and intelligence to know assignments also matter, so maybe Bernard makes it up there?

Again, I WANT to be wrong about Bernard.

15 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I'm not sure I'd stretch it quite that far, I mean there's really nothing much to base off of either way good or bad this early in TC just first day in pads. Some reports from the padded practice made it seem as if he was struggling quite a bit.

But anyways, you're right regarding last year and his injuries, which had an affect also in Kromer not having the amount of time with him that he needed. He will get that time this time around as long as there's no more set backs. So hopefully it will make a difference

Edited by Patrick Duffy

2 hours ago, Irv said:

Anybody know why Dalton Kincaid was wearing the extra Kazoo padding on his helmet?   Has he had a bunch of concussions or something?

https://www.buffalobills.com/photos/photos-2023-buffalo-bills-training-camp-day-6#d454e4ca-964b-4d22-aaa1-48c12613cc55

There’s a lot of players are wearing it this year. Probably just more players are worried about their brain health post-football these days.

Edited by gobills404

11 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I'm not sure I'd stretch it quite that far, I mean there's really nothing much to base off of either way good or bad this early in TC just first day in pads. Some reports from the padded practice made it seem as if he was struggling quite a bit.

But anyways, you're right regarding last year and his injuries, which had an affect also in Kromer not having the amount of time with him that he needed. He will get that time this time around as long as there's no more set backs. So hopefully it will make a difference

Are unpadded practices less indicative? Yeah, fair enough, very fair.

But there really have been a bunch of folks saying that in those unpadded practices he's been very good. 

You're right that people also are now saying that in that first padded day he had some problems. All reports are worth listening to. It's a little early to know what's happening consistently and what's exceptional. But there have been a bunch of good reports, particularly from Cover1 but a bunch of others as well. But yeah, the bad ones also count. Just that up till I wrote that , things had been really positive.

And yeah, hopefully it will make a difference. We didn't get an apparent guy to take over if he has problems, so it'll be really important if he does well. Or doesn't, really.

14 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I hope you are right, but compare Bernard to The rookie Dorian Williams who is listed at 228ish.  Williams looks quite a lot more muscular than does Bernard.  Now, I know speed, instincts and intelligence to know assignments also matter, so maybe Bernard makes it up there?

Again, I WANT to be wrong about Bernard.

I want you to be wrong too. I'm not convinced you are yet, but there's absolutely a chance. He's not too small. But is he good enough?

And that some guys look more muscular doesn't mean they are. It can be bone structure, genes, skin tightness, whatever.

Williams didn't do the bench press at the combine, but Bernard did. He was 7th best of all LBs that year, with 22 reps. That's strong, strong enough.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I want you to be wrong too. I'm not convinced you are yet, but there's absolutely a chance. He's not too small.

And that some guys look more muscular doesn't mean they are. It can be bone structure, genes, skin tightness, whatever.

Williams didn't do the bench press at the combine, but Bernard did. He was 7th best of all LBs, with 22 reps. That's damn strong.

I think the other thing that’s going on here as we have some bias, even though it’s unintentional

We are used to seeing Tremaine Edmunds out there at the middle linebacker position. The guy is freakishly large.

This year we’re running with smaller linebackers, and it shows but the only thing that really matters is the production on the field

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I want you to be wrong too. I'm not convinced you are yet, but there's absolutely a chance. He's not too small.

Williams didn't do the bench press at the combine, but Bernard did. He was 7th best of all LBs, with 22 reps. That's damn strong.

fast twitch versus slow twitch build is a possible explanation to this. not saying it is, but possible

fighters tend to have this type of build, where they look wirey and have crazy strength. bulk isnt your friend in fight world, these guys know how to stay slim and strong

3 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

fast twitch versus slow twitch build is a possible explanation to this. not saying it is, but possible

fighters tend to have this type of build, where they look wirey and have crazy strength. bulk isnt your friend in fight world, these guys know how to stay slim and strong

Yeah, this makes sense as a possibility.

And John from Riverside also has a good point there. It looks different indeed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.