Trevon Diggs 5yr/$97M extension

akcash

Puts him joint 5th among corners in AAV and there are people above him who I think are more overpaid than he. 

Probably a slight overpay by reference to his peers but the list of really good young corners from recent drafts isn't long... Pat Surtain and Sauce spring to mind but not a lot of others have proven it. So if Diggs hit the market I fancy he'd get at least what Dallas paid him on the open market.

• Agree 4

The guy made a lazy business decision in a critical moment of the playoff game vs SF last year and gets beat all the time and they reward him with this.  

all about attention and ego in that organization.  Their hall of fame guard is holding out for a raise at the moment and they have parsons, lamb and Dak looking for new deals in a year and they give a corner this kind of money.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I read that title way too fast.  

Also, doesn’t he have issues in coverage?  Yes, he gets interceptions, but wasn’t he one of the most burnt DBs statistically?

I agree.  He seems to get beaten more often than a top cover should.  Takes chances.   

Gunner is correct that we would get similar money if he hit free agency, but I think this continues Jerry Jones's pattern of caving to pay top money to guys who are just less top-players.  I don't think he shows the discipline that a good GM shows. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Also, doesn’t he have issues in coverage?  Yes, he gets interceptions, but wasn’t he one of the most burnt DBs statistically?

Yeah, he's an average cover corner with great ball skills and tries to bait the qb into throwing his way. He looks at the qb too much and lets his man get away from him frequently

I think he just had Jairus Byrd style luck in 2021 and he'll never come close to those interception numbers again.

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree.  He seems to get beaten more often than a top cover should.  Takes chances.   

Gunner is correct that we would get similar money if he hit free agency, but I think this continues Jerry Jones's pattern of caving to pay top money to guys who are just less top-players.  I don't think he shows the discipline that a good GM shows. 

This is the pattern with the Cowboys.  They pay good players as if they were great players, and then are shocked when the rest of the league says they're just good, no more than that.  

Unlike S. Diggs, T. Diggs has holes in his game.  As a fan of whoever is playing the Cowboys next week, I'm fine with this move, but it's going to backfire as badly as did paying Ezekiel Elliot all that money.

• Agree 2

Trevon Diggs is a liability to his team by going after personal glory by only ballhawking instead of actually covering.  Sometimes it works out and he gets a nice highlight reel INT but otherwise he's giving up 158.3.  And the media is to blame for hyping up his INTs instead of roasting him for getting torched weekly.

Good for him for tricking Jerruh into paying him though.  That 11 INT season is very unlikely to be replicated.

28 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Trevon Diggs is a liability to his team by going after personal glory by only ballhawking instead of actually covering.  Sometimes it works out and he gets a nice highlight reel INT but otherwise he's giving up 158.3.  And the media is to blame for hyping up his INTs instead of roasting him for getting torched weekly.

Good for him for tricking Jerruh into paying him though.  That 11 INT season is very unlikely to be replicated.

In 2021, he was sixth in the NFL in terms of passer rating of opposing QBs against him -- 55.8 (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/defense_advanced.htm). In 2022, the rating against him was 86.1, which was a little above average (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/defense_advanced.htm). In 2020, his rookie season, he was at 85.8, which was in the top third of the league (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/defense_advanced.htm).

Bottom line: he's a good player who can make game changing plays. He does get beat, but so does everyone who plays CB in the NFL. He's without question above average.

Jordan Poyer was second in the league in 2021 and eighth in 2022. Pretty darn impressive given how banged up he was last season.   

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

In 2021, he was sixth in the NFL in terms of passer rating of opposing QBs against him -- 55.8 (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/defense_advanced.htm). In 2022, the rating against him was 86.1, which was a little above average (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/defense_advanced.htm). In 2020, his rookie season, he was at 85.8, which was in the top third of the league (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/defense_advanced.htm).

Bottom line: he's a good player who can make game changing plays. He does get beat, but so does everyone who plays CB in the NFL. He's without question above average.

Jordan Poyer was second in the league in 2021 and eighth in 2022. Pretty darn impressive given how banged up he was last season.   

Yep. His completion percentage against is under 60% for his career as well, which is the standard of the top guys - be in the 50s. His TDs given up are down each year, from 5 as a rookie to 4, to 3. I think the "he gets burned a ton" is way overblown. For a corner as aggressive and who makes as many plays as him, he actually gets burned fairly infrequently. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Virgil said:

He is a good player but that is quite a bit of money, no? Didn't they also bring in 33 year old Gilmore? I'm sure he will play very hard. 🙄

I heard on Sirius today that Dallas has allocated huge money to the defense, and that the coach claims that her wants to run more, throw less, and rely more on defense.

Good luck with that losing philosophy.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.