Diggs NOT at mandatory minicamp, McDermott "very concerned" DAY 2 UPDATE: He's back

Process

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You may not like the word "lie" but that's completely what McDermott did today.

You don't like that idea because you idolize the Bills, so you very creatively invent a story in your mind to explain why the lie wasn't really a lie.

Congratulations.

I have read some stupid ***** in this thread but holy ***** this is the worst one yet.

I don't idolize the Bills, in fact I really don't idolize anything - so please continue to make ***** up. You call that a creative story to explain why the lie wasn't a lie? You should see the creative story I can write about you and your conjecture...

Perhaps I should have said I don't like the phrase of McD lying in everything he says - he doesn't lie in everything he says, but he also dances around the truth. All coaches do it...

If in fact they did talk last night and possibly even this AM, you can bet your ass, part of it was McD having to walk things back today

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Huh, ummm, I’m sorry….I was just having a flashback to reading those philosophy books in college!  

Now I feel I must apologize.  My college philosophy class was ... a difficult experience for me.

I have not, the philosophic mind.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Beck Water said:

This is actually one of the most insightful commentaries applicable to this situation that I've seen.

Thank you for sharing that.

I would imagine, like anything, this gets old to deal with after while...

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Perhaps you forgot, but I posted that McD is lying and YOU responded and attempted to correct me and say he is not. 

Wouldnt that mean you are always trying to be right more so than I???

You called me out.  You were completely wrong and refuse to admit it.  Who are you call anyone out?

8 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

The "you'd be surprised" comment was in response to this from Cover1's Aaron Quinn, in case anyone needs context.

Good question:

My guess would be McDermott, Beane, the WR coach, and Diggs were in a meeting where things got heated.

McDermott may have said "We need to take a break.  Let's step away, and we'll get back to this later"

McDermott is thinking "step away from the meeting, see you at practice"

Diggs is thinking "step away from the facility, go be in my own space doing my own thing"

McDermott is told right before his presser that Diggs left the building and told someone he wasn't practicing today on the way out.

McDermott is "very concerned" because that's not what he expected to happen; maybe Stef is more riled up or there are bigger problems than he thought and now he's got a PR problem with the 89 guys who are there.  Bakari alerts on it and decides he needs to step in and earn his pay and get things settled down, so the comment works.

Diggs talks some more, It all gets worked out (for now) and McDermott takes the fall for what happened.  He's speaking his truth - he did say let's take a break and step away.  He's just not speaking the whole truth that Diggs may have put a different spin on it than he intended, or that he may have excused Diggs from practice retroactively.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

This is actually one of the most insightful commentaries applicable to this situation that I've seen.

Thank you for sharing that.

Here is an extended version it's about 7 minutes long. It is certainly worth the listen and does provide a lot of insight into some questions we all have...

• Like (+1) 1

I think a lot of people focusing on McDermott answer don't acknowledge the question

He wasn't asked "no Diggs? Please tell us more"

He was asked "how concerned are you?"

Answering "I'm not" is not true and out of the question, and opens even more questions about Diggs

"Very" followed by "I'm not going to get into it" seems pretty standard coach speak 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

10 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Here is an extended version it's about 7 minutes long. It is certainly worth the listen and does provide a lot of insight into some questions we all have...

Whatever one thinks about McKenzie as a WR, it seems pretty clear that he had become fairly tight with Diggs - would sit on the bench with him during games at times, said on Monday that he talked to Diggs after the Cincy playoff game. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The "you'd be surprised" comment was in response to this from Cover1's Aaron Quinn

Good question:

My guess would be McDermott, Beane, the WR coach, and Diggs were in a meeting where things got heated.

McDermott may have said "We need to take a break.  Let's step away, and we'll get back to this later"

Diggs is thinking "step away from the facility, go be in my own space doing my own thing"

McDermott is told right before his presser that Diggs left the building and told someone he wasn't practicing today on the way out.

McDermott is "very concerned" because that's not what he expected to happen; maybe Stef is more riled up or there are bigger problems than he thought and now he's got a PR problem with the 89 guys who are there.

It all gets worked out and McDermott takes the fall for it.  He's speaking his truth - he did say let's take a break and step away.  He's just not speaking the whole truth that Diggs may have put a different spin on it than he intended.

You got the tweet to show up better than I did, for some reason I had to parse it the way I did - thanks for the clean up :beer:

With the last part, I think you are close to being correct as anyone will be outside of those 4 who were in the meeting. There is no choice but for McDermott to take hit and walk back what was said. I would say most everyone expected this to come in the next day or two - it was the only appropriate resolution to walking back what he said. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes and red looks good on me because its the same color as PF Chang’s.

The mall by my house has a PF Changs as a part of it.  They have two large horses in the front of it, and during the Christmas season, they dress the horses in scarves and hats.  Could we take romantic photos next to the horses?  

16 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

So basically he's a chick? 🤣

That's actually pretty much one interpretation of what "NostraIsaiah" said.

My take homes:

1) Don't take anything Diggs puts on social media too seriously, it's just "Stef being Stef"

2) If he actually says it in person, whether on a show or in an interview or in the Bills facility, he means it

3) Complete respect for Diggs play on the field

4) What he says on the sidelines (presumably in the locker room or meetings), sometimes he's just "getting it off his chest"; 80-90% of the time he might have a good point but 10-20% of the time he's "out there" (trippin) in his viewpoint and needs to be reined in.  "We let him talk, but not too much"

Edited by Beck Water
  • Haha (+1) 1

My hypothesis on McDermott's "Very concerned" comment is that it has something to do with Diggs' brother that got into some trouble. I think they spoke with Diggs yesterday, excused him from practice, and McDermott meant he's very concerned about Diggs' family situation?

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Loved this.  Legitimate insight.

He may not be right in this situation but knows Stef well enough to give a good hypothesis.

Maybe Stef showed up, him and McDermott disagreed on something…tempers flared.

Someone made the determination it was better if Stef went home before things got bad.  McDermott, Stef, Allen or maybe Beane…who knows.

But McKenzie did say Stef can step back and take a look and see if he’s the one tripping.  After they talked it out today, McDermott retracted his statements.

It looks, or I hope is that both of these parties both can be flexible with their issues and can meet half way.  

5 minutes ago, teef said:

The mall by my house has a PF Changs as a part of it.  They have two large horses in the front of it, and during the Christmas season, they dress the horses in scarves and hats.  Could we take romantic photos next to the horses?  

We can take pics next to horses at the farm I get manure from.  Can we both stand on top of an 11 foot pile of horse ***** and smile?

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We can take pics next to horses at the farm I get manure from.  Can we both stand on top of an 11 foot pile of horse ***** and smile?

Where are our hands during that smile?

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Honestly everything I hear out of national media regarding the bills becomes more and more unhinged with each passing day

They accumulate dust and pretend it's gold 

Theyre talking themselves into things that will not happen and dont represent reality 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Loved this.  Legitimate insight.

He may not be right in this situation but knows Stef well enough to give a good hypothesis.

Maybe Stef showed up, him and McDermott disagreed on something…tempers flared.

Someone made the determination it was better if Stef went home before things got bad.  McDermott, Stef, Allen or maybe Beane…who knows.

But McKenzie did say Stef can step back and take a look and see if he’s the one tripping.  After they talked it out today, McDermott retracted his statements.

It looks, or I hope is that both of these parties both can be flexible with their issues and can meet half way.  

Things got bad, hence the out of character McD presser yesterday vs his always "say nothing" pressers.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Should I post my W2 like a tool?  

I believe Lao Tsu  may have relevant input here:

“Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know.”

For some reason this also seemed relevant to me:

PS trivia: that song is about Bob Hope but musically intended as a tribute to Frank Zappa.  His son Dweezil laid down the guitar licks for it.

Edited by Beck Water

37 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The "you'd be surprised" comment was in response to this from Cover1's Aaron Quinn, in case anyone needs context.

Good question:

McDermott is "very concerned" because that's not what he expected to happen; maybe Stef is more riled up or there are bigger problems than he thought and now he's got a PR problem with the 89 guys who are there.  Bakari alerts on it and decides he needs to step in and earn his pay and get things settled down, so the comment works.

Diggs talks some more, It all gets worked out (for now) and McDermott takes the fall for what happened.  He's speaking his truth - he did say let's take a break and step away.  He's just not speaking the whole truth that Diggs may have put a different spin on it than he intended, or that he may have excused Diggs from practice retroactively.

This.  Now they need to address (in private) why things got heated.  I still say it's Dorsey.

Edited by Doc
  • Agree 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Both holding a copy of Einsteins tax return.  You hold one end, I will hold the other like a baby announcement ultra sound photo.

Did I mention that @Einstein called me out for something he was wrong on and could never prove?  Instead of just admitting his mistake, he completely ignores what he did and hides?   Isn’t that a less than intelligent way that handle that?  Let none of this get in the way of us.  

25 minutes ago, arcane said:

I think a lot of people focusing on McDermott answer don't acknowledge the question

He wasn't asked "no Diggs? Please tell us more"

He was asked "how concerned are you?"

Answering "I'm not" is not true and out of the question, and opens even more questions about Diggs

"Very" followed by "I'm not going to get into it" seems pretty standard coach speak 

People also jumped past he may be concerned about the whole situation because he wants Diggs to know he takes it seriously. That the reasons and problems that Diggs expressed concern him as well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

But that takes away from so much

It varies according to what affords you amusement and your personal self-restraint to not get "sucked in".   

I typically come here for football discussion, so missing the trite and repetitive opinions of a few folks takes little away from me.  On the chance they say something football relevant and insightful, someone will undoubtedly quote it so I won't miss it.  And I'm far less likely to get "sucked in".

Edited by Beck Water

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

This.  Now they need to address (in private) why things got heated.  I still say it's Dorsey.

If you're correct, then I find it problematic that the meetings were evidently between Beane, McDermott, Adam Henry, and Diggs.

That would not be healthy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.