Bills Sign Leonard Floyd

JGMcD2

I don't believe for a second that the Bills offered him the most money of any team out there. Some players, like Leonard, want to win and add to their legacy and will take less to play with a great team.

Leonard's attitude is great. I fully expect him to keep piling up the sacks with us. And he's got the voice of a man who likes to knock other men down into the ground.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

*Could* we have done that? Yes, it's physically possible. But much like I've said time and again in the Hopkins thread, that's not the type of thing Beane does. Void years include taking on Dead Cap Hits. 

I've only ever seen him add 1 void year to a contract. I don't remember him ever doing 2 and he definitely has never done 3. Paying for someone 3 years after a player is not on the roster is not something that a responsible GM like Beane does - who always speaks of keeping the cap manageable.

He either pays it up front, backloads a contract with the ability to get out of it later without taking much of a hit or at most, adds *a* void year if he feels it's absolutely a need to fill.

Beyond all of that though, there's been no talk of void years added to Floyd's contract when details have been released. So I'd be surprised. Maybe they did 1. But he's not doing 3 void years on a 1 year contract.

You can add multiple void years, but it all hits the cap the same year the guy leaves the roster.  You're basically paying them a bonus, and spreading it over 3 years (I don't know all the rules but there are limits to how much of a deal can be bonus, and how much can be spread across multiple years).  But the second the player is not on the roster? The cap hits for all the bonus money that was paid out in the initial signing.   Multiple "years" is just to allow you to pay them a higher bonus, while lowering the initial cap impact. 

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

I think we are heading for a partial rebuild after by 2025 and Beane is trying to win before that happens.  I don't think we will be completely decimated and hopefully Beane is able to stockpile picks so we can get some cheap labor during the transition.

By 2025, I would expect all of these players to be gone:

Hyde

Poyer

Von Miller

Diggs

Morse

While that doesn't seem like a lot, we also have the expiring contracts and players who may not have earned new deals.  So overall, by 2025 we will need (if not already drafted a replacement)

-RT, C, WR1, WR2, WR3, RB, DT 2, RE, LE, MLB, OLB, FS, SS

That's more than half the roster

so do you think we add Hopkins or another WR prior?   Wait till trade deadline perhaps even to add?

4 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

IMHO, Hopkins will be signed, because Diggs is going. 

I think he is pulling another Minny. Beane will not hesitate if Diggs continues his bs that is ongoing since last season finale.

Diggs literally cannot be traded. It’s a 45 million dead cap hit

& I want more players who DESPISE losing. Not less.

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

The only problem I have is with incentives based on sacks.  Does he then focus on getting upfield every down, ignoring the run, in order to up his sack count?

How about incentives to win the SB…or is that not allowed per the CBA?

An incentive the individual cannot control is not an incentive.  It needs to be personal performance based.  

4 hours ago, Rubes said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Beane fan and I love this roster...but with regard to #1 and #3, you have to at least admit that the reason he needed to do those things this year is because his previous investments didn't pan out. I mean, 3 recent high picks on the DL wasn't enough to secure pass rush depth, and we've had a revolving door at Guard the past few seasons.

Not every move works out for a GM, for sure, but it sucks that he has had to repeatedly sink resources into those two things.

That said, I'd still take Beane over just about anyone at this point.

Other than not emphasizing the OL more from 2019 on, Brandon Beane has done an amazing job building a top 5 roster over these last 3-4 seasons.  He has stumbled a little with guys like Basham/AJE, but over-all his picks and fa acquisitions have been solid.  The problem is both injuries and player execution/ motivation. That performance against Cincy was pathetic. If anyone is first to lose their job between Beane & McD, it won't be Brandon.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

I think we are heading for a partial rebuild after by 2025 and Beane is trying to win before that happens.  I don't think we will be completely decimated and hopefully Beane is able to stockpile picks so we can get some cheap labor during the transition.

By 2025, I would expect all of these players to be gone:

Hyde

Poyer

Von Miller

Diggs

Morse

While that doesn't seem like a lot, we also have the expiring contracts and players who may not have earned new deals.  So overall, by 2025 we will need (if not already drafted a replacement)

-RT, C, WR1, WR2, WR3, RB, DT 2, RE, LE, MLB, OLB, FS, SS

That's more than half the roster

The Bills only bad contracts (and in this sense bad means a deal that the Bills will have to eat a lot of dead money on) are Von Miller, Knox and Tre. I don’t think they are headed for a rebuild. They will have multiple free agency and draft classes to replace a lot of the older players that you mentioned will be gone.

The Bills also aren’t in a position where they will have to eat a lot of dead cap in a single season either so they don’t have to rebuild if they can draft fairly well and hit on some free agents.

Looking at the more dangerous Bills contracts outside of Von It is not too bad.

The earliest the Bills can get out on the Von deal is after 2024 and that would require them to take a 15 million dollar dead cap change. 

Tre’s deal in 2024 comes with a 10 million dollar dead cap hit, his 2025 dead cap hit is low. If Tre looks completely shot in 2023 then the Bills may eat the big charge but if Tre looks solid they will just keep him and It won’t be an albatross.

Knox’s deal has two outs, one is in 2025 when It comes with a 7.79 million dead cap the other is in 2026 when the dead cap is only 3.9 million. Knox probably will still be productive but overpaid in his contract.

None of those deals are really going to tank the Bills ability to compete in the coming years

• Thank you (+1) 2

Edit: I get it now, dead cap in 2024 if he is unsigned but if resigned the 4.5 mil can be spread over three years.  Still a contract that has less money on the one year deal than what is owed later.   Not sure if Beane is on a slippery slope, we will want guys in every offseason, next year, year after, year after that etc.

Drunk Beane making this deal.  We get him for one year and pay him for four.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/leonard-floyd-18957/

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

If Floyd is not re-signed next year the Bills will take a $4.3M dead money hit in 2024.

It will not go on till 2026.

Take a look at this gem from the Saints GM.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/cameron-jordan-7739/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Other than not emphasizing the OL more from 2019 on, Brandon Beane has done an amazing job building a top 5 roster over these last 3-4 seasons.  He has stumbled a little with guys like Basham/AJE, but over-all his picks and fa acquisitions have been solid.  The problem is both injuries and player execution/ motivation. That performance against Cincy was pathetic. If anyone is first to lose their job between Beane & McD, it won't be Brandon.

You forgot not addressing WR.   The biggest jumps in production that they got as a team were the two years they got serious about addressing the WR position with Brown, Beasley and then Diggs.    Letting the position decline has really cost them the past two regular seasons and in the playoff loss to Cinci.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

If Floyd is not re-signed next year the Bills will take a $4.3M dead money hit in 2024.

It will not go on till 2026.

Take a look at this gem from the Saints GM.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/cameron-jordan-7739/

Oh I know, people think the Saints got away with something, rather they keep kicking 100+ million down the road.  I don't think they are the model to use.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

That’s not how this works

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You forgot not addressing WR.   The biggest jumps in production that they got as a team were the two years they got serious about addressing the WR position with Brown, Beasley and then Diggs.    Letting the position decline has really cost them the past two regular seasons and in the playoff loss to Cinci.    

They were third in the league in offense

7 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

IMHO, Hopkins will be signed, because Diggs is going. 

I think he is pulling another Minny. Beane will not hesitate if Diggs continues his bs that is ongoing since last season finale.

Think he may be silently protesting to get him some "legitimate" help on the opposite side? Diggs wants to win and bring a SB trophy to the city of Buffalo. I'm sure he relives that feeling in KC after every playoff loss. Waiting/hoping for Davis, Kincaid, Shakir to emerge as that guy isn't taking any years off his time in the league. Let's go for it!!