Washington Commanders may have to change their name again

Draconator

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm one of those who does not think the name is derogatory. It was a classic logo. No one names a team after a group that is not embraced as valuable. Why do that? But if it is too volatile an issue, going back to Washington Football Team isn't a bad fall back. I started to like it once I got used to it.

Agreed on Redskins - maybe they should poll all Native Americans to see if they think it's offensive. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Unbelievable, people thinking the old name shouldn't have offended Native Americans.  

Commanders is awful though. 

They cannot name them the Washington Idiots.  Those mentioned above might think it refers to them and they would be right.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm one of those who does not think the name is derogatory. It was a classic logo. No one names a team after a group that is not embraced as valuable. Why do that? But if it is too volatile an issue, going back to Washington Football Team isn't a bad fall back. I started to like it once I got used to it.

Idk. Just imagine a team called the Washington Blackskins. It is pretty offensive TBH. The logo was def cool though. 

9 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

image.png.157d27ed87f73aa946f5bbe1bbf4a936.png

So you're telling me there's a chance...

I was looking at the image trying to figure out what the hell that was supposed to be before I read breadsticks. I anticipate certain grain fanatics and possibly a subset of carbohydrate aficionados will preemptively begin to organize a boycott of the team.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Two? I wonder who else did it.

That * who went and filed trademarks for like every name so the team would have to give him millions to acquire one? That is the cheapest, low-down 🍆 move. And IIRC, they all have to be shown being used for an actual thing to keep the trademark.

If they do have to change (or even if the new owner just wants to change it to get a totally clean break from Snyder):

1) Red Wolves and work it out with Minnesota 🏀, altho I’m just 🤨because it’s a completely different sport, different region, and they are of major league status that they cannot be confused. How many other different-sport-same-name teams are there? Cardinals. Giants. Jets off the top of my head. Which is nothing to how every CFL team is some version of Rough Riders.

2) Washington Football Team and just keep the helmet logo as is, but change the unis back… because the redesign was complete 🗑️ with BFBS (black for blacks sake) all over for no reason. The Washington team needs to be maroon and yellow… that’s it.

1 minute ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Idk. Just imagine a team called the Washington Blackskins. It is pretty offensive TBH. The logo was def cool though. 

I'm not going to rehash the complexities of an historical argument on this issue. For those who are offended by it, there's no information that would persuade them it is inoffensive or not intended to be in any event. Too bad they couldn't reinstate the logo and use the Washington Football Team designation. 

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

That * who went and filed trademarks for like every name so the team would have to give him millions to acquire one? That is the cheapest, low-down 🍆 move. And IIRC, they all have to be shown being used for an actual thing to keep the trademark.

If they do have to change (or even if the new owner just wants to change it to get a totally clean break from Snyder):

1) Red Wolves and work it out with Minnesota 🏀, altho I’m just 🤨because it’s a completely different sport, different region, and they are of major league status that they cannot be confused. How many other different-sport-same-name teams are there? Cardinals. Giants. Jets off the top of my head. Which is nothing to how every CFL team is some version of Rough Riders.

2) Washington Football Team and just keep the helmet logo as is, but change the unis back… because the redesign was complete 🗑️ with BFBS (black for blacks sake) all over for no reason. The Washington team needs to be maroon and yellow… that’s it.

Maroon is very appropriate:

image.png.b4c72547cc78eb05bf0be8209aaec312.png

Not sure where yellow comes from.  Keystone Kops did not wear yelow.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.