NFL.com ranks the most "complete" teams in the NFL; Bills at #6

Einstein

On 5/22/2023 at 7:51 PM, Einstein said:

I take umbrage with the Cowboys being above us, but the analysis is mostly right:

Buffalo Bills #6

The Bills’ roster is rock solid throughout -- with enough high-end talent to firmly crack the upper reaches of the NFL. 

Interestingly, there might be more (minor) concerns on offense than defense. Sure, Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs are the nerve center of an attack that has ranked in the top five in each of the last three seasons, but that group struggled somewhat down the stretch. Did the Bills do enough to add help? Rookie tight end Dalton Kincaid could solve Buffalo’s slot receiver problem, and running backs Damien Harris and Latavius Murray should prevent James Cook from being overworked. The biggest issue might be depth at receiver. Diggs is a star, but Gabe Davis is a lower-volume WR2, and the options thereafter (Khalil Shakir, Deonte Harty, Trent Sherfield, Justin Shorter) aren’t mind-blowing. We likely will see ample 12-personnel packages featuring Dawson Knox and Kincaid running together.

The offensive line isn’t dominant, but it’s a respectable group. Most of the unit returns, and there’s help arriving in veterans Connor McGovern and David Edwards, along with second-rounder O’Cyrus Torrence. 

The Bills’ defense has depth at all three levels. Von Miller suffered a torn ACL in November, which means his status will be something to watch in camp. Yet with Greg Rousseau, A.J. Epenesa, Boogie Basham and Shaq Lawson, Buffalo could be fine here until Miller is back to 100 percent. Inside, adding Poona Ford gives the Bills a solid top three, along with Ed Oliver and DaQuan Jones.

Losing Tremaine Edmunds opens a hole at middle linebacker, but the Bills appear confident they’ll find a starter opposite Matt Milano from the group of Terrel Bernard, Dorian Williams, A.J. Klein and Tyrel Dodson.

The secondary should be far deeper with a healthy Tre’Davious White and Micah Hyde, along with Kaiir Elam and Christian Benford having a year under their belts. The addition of Taylor Rapp should allow the Bills to work Damar Hamlin back into the rotation only when he is ready, with both safeties providing great depth and flexibility.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-top-10-most-complete-teams-for-2023-season

Pretty fair assessment, the depth of the roster is pretty solid, minus WR, the difference maker talent is severely lacking, which is part of why there has been a struggle in the playoffs.  Want to stop the offense? Don’t let Allen run and double Diggs, the wheel spinning will follow.   Want to move the ball?  At the end of last year, it was just avoid Milano, nobody else scares you.  

This season could be more of the same if Kincaid takes a while to adjust and the OL additions don’t find their footing quickly.  The O is more worrisome to me, counting on a bunch of u proven guys again this year.  On D, if White doesn’t come back to form and have Elam step up in a big way, it’s going to be a rough start to the year without Miller and Edmunds.  At very least you will have to account for the safties again.  Hopefully, one of the MLB candidates separates themselves from the crowd and McD can dial up some pressures without hanging the corners on an island too much.  It’s a big year for McD to show what he’s got.

57 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

Eagles are the most complete team until another teams wins the Super Bowl, then they'll be the most complete team.

I tend to agree that Philly is the most complete team, but KC did beat them in the last SB. The Iggles won their last one, what, five years ago?

7 hours ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

Not really arguing about this, more curious on the thought of Shannahan being second only to Reid. The guy has done amazing things but all I recall is blowing a major lead in a SB, then ending up second best as a head coach with another SB appearance. Since going to the 49ers his teams have been loaded and given It’s a “QB” friendly system, not that Jimmy G is bad IMO when he’s healthy. 
i don’t get the love for KS and what seems to be tons of bashing on the Bills HC (not saying from you). 
Just looking for thoughts really. 

Guy hasn’t had an elite QB but got to the SB with the 49ers and gets to the NFC title game all the time with whoever he has at QB. He’ll get there again this year, regardless if he has Sam darnold or trey lance or purdy. He’s an offensive genius. He loses coordinators every year, doesn’t matter. Somehow he’s just levels above everyone else but Reid. I mean who else would be above him? 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Pretty fair assessment, the depth of the roster is pretty solid, minus WR, the difference maker talent is severely lacking, which is part of why there has been a struggle in the playoffs.  Want to stop the offense? Don’t let Allen run and double Diggs, the wheel spinning will follow.   Want to move the ball?  At the end of last year, it was just avoid Milano, nobody else scares you.  

This season could be more of the same if Kincaid takes a while to adjust and the OL additions don’t find their footing quickly.  The O is more worrisome to me, counting on a bunch of u proven guys again this year.  On D, if White doesn’t come back to form and have Elam step up in a big way, it’s going to be a rough start to the year without Miller and Edmunds.  At very least you will have to account for the safties again.  Hopefully, one of the MLB candidates separates themselves from the crowd and McD can dial up some pressures without hanging the corners on an island too much.  It’s a big year for McD to show what he’s got.

The Bills lost three games in the regular season by a total of eight points...including the muffed game against the Vikings.    I always wonder why the 13 teams last year did NOT let Allen run and double Diggs....or they did and others made plays ?  

Last year we did not have Kincaid,  White did not play until Week 10,  the two Safeties were mostly injured, Miller went on IR in week 10 and yet we went 13-3.   This year, the safeties are back healthy,  White is fully back from injury,  we have signed Ford and Floyd to shore up the DL....sure we lost Edmunds and will be hard ot replace him at the MLB position...but still this team has improved than last year. 

• Agree 1

On 5/23/2023 at 4:56 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

1. Philadelphia

2. KC

3. Cinci

4. Buffalo

5. SF

6. NYJ

7. Dallas

8. Baltimore 

....we still need upgrades at WR2, RT,  MLB.   It will be fun to see what new players shine?

Really good top 8 but I would give Dallas and Baltimore a (dead heat) they are close. 

Sorry, head to toe our roster blows away the Chiefs....with Miller and Hyde healthy, its not even close...though I admit games would be close games due to Mahomes and his ability.

Folks just had this kind of article written, or the garbage spewed by Cowherd today written the day after the season ended. 

The Bills are now completely loaded. Its the best Bills roster since the K-gun prime.

I think the Eagles overachieved last year and are not as talented top to bottom as we'd like to think. Definatly lost some talent. A lot of rookies replacing viable starters, and a lot of movement on the o line. 

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Agree 2

On 5/23/2023 at 1:53 PM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

49ers at 3 is a joke. Not having a QB trumps the next ten best players.

Bills for 17 years had decent rosters but no QB.

Browns the last few years have had great OL, great pass rusher, and decent WRs and still suck. 

Packers have had terrible rosters for years yet Rodgers and one good to great WR was good enough to get in the playoffs year after year. 

You can't speak about a roster as if they are all equal parts. Its a team sport in name only. Its a QB and 52 other guys sport. The exceptions are incredibly rare over the last two plus decades. 

But unlike those Bills teams, the 49ers have a better coach who has proven he's creative enough to get way more out of his QB's than the Bills were. Nearly all those coaches came into Buffalo swearing they'd get back to Buffalo football, with a hardnose run game & stout defense. None of them even believed they had a chance with our QB group, even when the league had clearly shifted to favor passing.

This 49ers team is good enough to get to the NFC Championship game or SB each of the last 3 seasons, with only average QB play. They literally rode "Mr. Irrelevant" 7th round pick further than we got in the playoffs. So imo, they deserve to be #3.

KC, Philly, and Cincy are the teams I would say that are more complete rosters than the Bills. The 49ers you can argue but I think the massive hole at QB and some smaller holes along the O-line and secondary put them behind the Bills. The Bills only real major hole is MLB and possibly WR2. With the addition of Flyod the rest of the roster is mostly solid maybe needed a bit of depth in one or two other spots but no other glaring needs. If the Bills somehow sign Hopkins I think you can put them right there with the other three top teams. 

On 5/23/2023 at 4:56 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

1. Philadelphia

2. KC

3. Cinci

4. Buffalo

5. SF

6. NYJ

7. Dallas

8. Baltimore 

....we still need upgrades at WR2, RT,  MLB.   It will be fun to see what new players shine?

Almost no one around the league has us at 4 these days.  More like 6-8.

I hope you're right though!

23 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Sorry, head to toe our roster blows away the Chiefs....with Miller and Hyde healthy, its not even close...though I admit games would be close games due to Mahomes and his ability.

Folks just had this kind of article written, or the garbage spewed by Cowherd today written the day after the season ended. 

The Bills are now completely loaded. Its the best Bills roster since the K-gun prime.

I think the Eagles overachieved last year and are not as talented top to bottom as we'd like to think. Definatly lost some talent. A lot of rookies replacing viable starters, and a lot of movement on the o line. 

I agree.  This team is better than ever.  Stacking it will have its pains in a few years but I’ll be sure to enjoy it this season. Stay healthy 

• Like (+1) 1

Depends what you are measuring. 

How much are you weighting QB? How much are you weighting the 21 other starters? How much are you weighting depth? 

I think on QB and on depth the Bills should be better than 6th. But probably on the other 21 starters 6th-8th feels about right. 

On 5/23/2023 at 3:05 PM, NewEra said:

Is Brock Purdy off the team suddenly?  He was undefeated and looked pretty good.  He’s not elite and is a product of the system, but he runs the system very well and their O was rolling people since he took over.  With him as starter, they scored 33, 35, 21, 37, 37 38, 41 and 19 in his starts.    Their D was clearly the best in the league.  

I think they’re extremely well balanced….. they don’t need an elite QB to get them there

Lol. Well actually Purdy had elbow surgery and its unknown if he will even return in 2023. Also the league history is ripe with guys that excel for a few games and then go back to being nobody. For ever Brady or Warner there are a hundred guys that play well for a few games and then flame out. 

But you are correct about their roster. It is very very good. Their division was terrible last year. Seattle should be a bit better and Rams should be more competitive.  Still probably not enough to knock 49ers out of the division title but enough to make it harder.

It boils down to our offense. We have a very solid defense but our defense, though they will be an factor, isn’t going to win us a championship.

Allen and Co. will. 

I feel we have a better roster than last season when the Bills were the media darlings. I look for Josh to have a very strong year after having his elbow issues last season and the Bills to hoist their first Lombardi trophy next February.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.