NFL.com ranks the most "complete" teams in the NFL; Bills at #6

Einstein

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

This guy is ridiculous, given how he has titled his article.

He has SF at #3 "Most complete", despite a QB room filled with Purdy, Lance and Darnold

He has Dallas at #5....yet for the Offense, he leads with "there are at least depth concerns at almost every spot".  The O-line is "unsolved".  Every WR other than newly acquired Cooks, needs to "step up".  "RB took a hit".  Also, they "need to find a Kicker".

At #7, the Ravens "fortunes changed dramatically".....by re-signing their QB--a guy who hasn't made it past 12 games in 2 years nor passed for 3000 yards in 4 years. Their "reimagined" WR room features journeymen OBJ and Agholor, a rookie and Rashod Bateman! And RB?  "They certainly could use some more insurance".  On D--"they still have a few boxes to check...a lot of question marks....more is needed"---and that's just the secondary!

This guy is a straight up dope. 

Purdy wasn't elite by any means,  but he was extremely good,  especially for a rookie late rounder.  There is no guarantee he improves,  but there is also no reason to think he wouldn't.  They are pretty much elite everywhere else. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Purdy wasn't elite by any means,  but he was extremely good,  especially for a rookie late rounder.  There is no guarantee he improves,  but there is also no reason to think he wouldn't.  They are pretty much elite everywhere else. 

I'm with you there on Purdy.  But let's face it that is still one of the worst QB rooms in the top 10 teams if he's not gold this year again:  Mr. Irrlevant is your starter backed up by 2 1st round busts.

21 hours ago, NewEra said:

Dawkins and Morse are respectable returners;  he feels McGovern could be respectable;  Torrance was viewed as the top OG in the draft, which could be seen as respectable.  Bates was respectable down the stretch. Brown was putrid.  

You find it hard to believe that a guy would define our OL as respectable after upgrading both OGs and  returning 2 other respectable starters? 4 out of 5 decent starters is exactly that imo.  Not many teams have more than 4 respectable starters and those that do are considered good and great.  Not respectable.

jmo-  I think our OL will be respectable.  It’ll be pretty good if Brown is average 

I think we are top 5, but it depends on the weather for these people. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I think we are top 5, but it depends on the weather for these people. 

I’m about there too.  We can be 1-5.

Kc, Philly, Cinci, SF and Buffalo are my top 5 not in any particular order.  Each team can be the best on any given Sunday.  But we won’t be the best if the weather sucks. Ask Dirty 😉 

#NoDome?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m about there too.  We can be 1-5.

Kc, Philly, Cinci, SF and Buffalo are my top 5 not in any particular order.  Each team can be the best on any given Sunday.  But we won’t be the best if the weather sucks. Ask Dirty 😉 

#NoDome?

Baltimore is more complete than KC. Chiefs are too dependent on Mahomes. Give both teams even QBs and Baltimore has the better record. Lamar Jackson is no slouch either. 

5 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Baltimore is more complete than KC. Chiefs are too dependent on Mahomes. Give both teams even QBs and Baltimore has the better record. Lamar Jackson is no slouch either. 

I disagree. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

49ers at 3 is a joke. Not having a QB trumps the next ten best players.

Bills for 17 years had decent rosters but no QB.

Browns the last few years have had great OL, great pass rusher, and decent WRs and still suck. 

Packers have had terrible rosters for years yet Rodgers and one good to great WR was good enough to get in the playoffs year after year. 

You can't speak about a roster as if they are all equal parts. Its a team sport in name only. Its a QB and 52 other guys sport. The exceptions are incredibly rare over the last two plus decades. 

The Niners roster is the best in the league, no debate. As someone said, their system is QB proof. Kyle Shanahan is the best outside of Andy Reid.  I fully expect Darnold to do well to start off the season until Purdy comes back. There’s a reason the Niners have the 3rd best odds to make the SB. Their defense was the best in the nfl and they added Hargrave. They have the best weapons in the league and CMC with a full offseason is scary to say the least. 

The Bills even with Josh can’t compete with them in terms of roster quality overall if you look at the top end guys on the rosters. They’re LOADED with top end guys. 

57 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Completely agree with this. KC is Mahomes/Kelce and a bunch of Jags on offense. On defense it’s Chris Jones and rotational players. They’re not a complete team at all. Just top heavy on exceptional talent. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just another opinion piece that in the end doesn’t mean squat. Don’t have to be the most “ complete” team - or someone’s idea of it- to win the Super Bowl. But hey, these guys need something to write about this time of year. 

This list is silly I even take umbridge with the Eagles at 1 they added a player who 4 teams in front of the Eagles took completely off their draft board.

The Chiefs absolutely 

The 49ers played 1 team with a winning record during their win streak. 
The Bengals have practically an entirely new secondary.

The Cowboys have so much talent they literally fired their offensive coordinator.

Buffalo is just as good roster wise  as any of these teams above. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

The offense last year was repeatedly ranked higher by outside evaluators than Bills fans.

Some will say because fans spend more time looking at them and others will say it is because fans are more critical and do not see holes in other teams lines.

I don't disagree with you.  At the same time "outside evaluators" have been universally hard on the Bill's O line.  By almost any definition they say that it was bad.  So given the importance of the O line it begs the question as to why the Bills offense was so good?  My conclusion would be that with Allen the Bills have the most dynamic QB in football and that covered up a lot of deficiencies; Diggs is top 3 WR in the NFL and Dorsey wasn't nearly as bad as some fans proclaim.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2023 at 11:01 AM, Max Fischer said:

#6 seems about right.  

The Bills have questions

- at RT - I'm "hopeful" Brown will be "decent" but its no sure thing. - DONE - SIGNED BRANDON SHELL - GOOD DEPTH

- at LG - will Torrence be an upgrade *this* season?

- at RG - McGovern looks like a sure upgrade but we'll see. 

- at MLB - huge unknown

- at CB2 - will Elam take a significant step?

- at WR2, Gabe needs to be much better this year. 

- at RB in general (plus blocking from OL)

- at DE, who will fill #40's shoes for a few weeks? - DONE - SIGNED LEONARD FLOYD - GREAT DEPTH

- at DL, Ford should be a big help, but need career years from Ed and Settle

UPDATED

On 5/23/2023 at 4:45 PM, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

The Niners roster is the best in the league, no debate. As someone said, their system is QB proof. Kyle Shanahan is the best outside of Andy Reid.  I fully expect Darnold to do well to start off the season until Purdy comes back. There’s a reason the Niners have the 3rd best odds to make the SB. Their defense was the best in the nfl and they added Hargrave. They have the best weapons in the league and CMC with a full offseason is scary to say the least. 

The Bills even with Josh can’t compete with them in terms of roster quality overall if you look at the top end guys on the rosters. They’re LOADED with top end guys. 

Not really arguing about this, more curious on the thought of Shannahan being second only to Reid. The guy has done amazing things but all I recall is blowing a major lead in a SB, then ending up second best as a head coach with another SB appearance. Since going to the 49ers his teams have been loaded and given It’s a “QB” friendly system, not that Jimmy G is bad IMO when he’s healthy. 
i don’t get the love for KS and what seems to be tons of bashing on the Bills HC (not saying from you). 
Just looking for thoughts really. 

The real issue is that without Josh Allen this team would fall precipitously.  

The offense, the other 10, have not done enough to help JA.  I think this will improve this season especially if Kincaid is close to where his accolades are.

Remember that the Bengals exposed us in the playoffs. The key to overcoming that debacle is the o-line.  Saffold s was a turnstile in that game and Brown was not much better.

Finally, the Bills have to get better at coaching.  This is especially true in the postseason.

I love this team and think they have improved in the offseason. They just face some really strong competition.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/22/2023 at 5:51 PM, Einstein said:

I take umbrage with the Cowboys being above us, but the analysis is mostly right:

Buffalo Bills #6

The Bills’ roster is rock solid throughout -- with enough high-end talent to firmly crack the upper reaches of the NFL. 

Interestingly, there might be more (minor) concerns on offense than defense. Sure, Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs are the nerve center of an attack that has ranked in the top five in each of the last three seasons, but that group struggled somewhat down the stretch. Did the Bills do enough to add help? Rookie tight end Dalton Kincaid could solve Buffalo’s slot receiver problem, and running backs Damien Harris and Latavius Murray should prevent James Cook from being overworked. The biggest issue might be depth at receiver. Diggs is a star, but Gabe Davis is a lower-volume WR2, and the options thereafter (Khalil Shakir, Deonte Harty, Trent Sherfield, Justin Shorter) aren’t mind-blowing. We likely will see ample 12-personnel packages featuring Dawson Knox and Kincaid running together.

The offensive line isn’t dominant, but it’s a respectable group. Most of the unit returns, and there’s help arriving in veterans Connor McGovern and David Edwards, along with second-rounder O’Cyrus Torrence. 

The Bills’ defense has depth at all three levels. Von Miller suffered a torn ACL in November, which means his status will be something to watch in camp. Yet with Greg Rousseau, A.J. Epenesa, Boogie Basham and Shaq Lawson, Buffalo could be fine here until Miller is back to 100 percent. Inside, adding Poona Ford gives the Bills a solid top three, along with Ed Oliver and DaQuan Jones.

Losing Tremaine Edmunds opens a hole at middle linebacker, but the Bills appear confident they’ll find a starter opposite Matt Milano from the group of Terrel Bernard, Dorian Williams, A.J. Klein and Tyrel Dodson.

The secondary should be far deeper with a healthy Tre’Davious White and Micah Hyde, along with Kaiir Elam and Christian Benford having a year under their belts. The addition of Taylor Rapp should allow the Bills to work Damar Hamlin back into the rotation only when he is ready, with both safeties providing great depth and flexibility.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-top-10-most-complete-teams-for-2023-season

Dallas is on this list every single year

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.