Who does Terry Pegula turn to for counsel when it comes to evaluating Beane & McDermott?

Nephilim17

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Man are you going to get flamed for this. But it’s a far more legitimate question than most here will admit. Kim Pegula’s serious health problems have taken away half of the brain trust at the top of the Bills and Sabres decision making pyramid. Anyone who fails to recognize this is not giving Kim her due. I’m not sure what Terry has done to fill that void, but I hope he’s found high quality people to do so. I also hope that he is choosing better than Jerry Jones, who he seems to be leaning on for all things stadium related. And, yes, NFL owners often seek the council of other, more experienced owners. The NFL is a business first and foremost. 

Right now, both the Bills and Sabres have good management groups in place. As for the football side of things let Beane and McDermott run the show. Terry can handle the business side of things. Its previous obvious now that the Sabres have the right people in place as well. Next year fans should see playoffs in both football and hockey. Hopefully a Super Bowl championship as well. Give the Sabres a few years to learn how to win in the playoffs before any realistic expectations of winning a Cup.

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

As for the football side of things let Beane and McDermott run the show.

That's a big part of the issue here.  They've essentially been running it, and apart from them only succeeding to the extent that Allen does everything, they've underachieved, ... drastically.  

The tough question (s), in keeping with the thread topic, is good much longer will that continue, and what will be done about it.

If they stick around, why would they manage/coach differently than that have?

It's been 6 seasons.  

Just asking the questions.  

• Disagree 2

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

That's a big part of the issue here.  They've essentially been running it, and apart from them only succeeding to the extent that Allen does everything, they've underachieved, ... drastically.  

The tough question (s), in keeping with the thread topic, is good much longer will that continue, and what will be done about it.

If they stick around, why would they manage/coach differently than that have?

It's been 6 seasons.  

Just asking the questions.  

The playoffs losses are frustrating but overall, they have turned the Bills around from being a laughingstock. At some point they do need to get past these playoff failures. 

20 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Kim Pegula’s serious health problems have taken away half of the brain trust at the top of the Bills and Sabres decision making pyramid. Anyone who fails to recognize this is not giving Kim her due.

She's definitely the football brain of the operation. My understanding is that her cognitive function is okay, but she has trouble communicating. That certainly precludes her from being the face of the franchise, and I'm guessing her therapy prevents her from engaging in the team's day-to-day activities, but she could still be a valuable resource in the OP's scenario.

• Agree 1

Let's see...take over a team that was on a 17 year playoff drought...hire 2 people that have the highest winning percentage in Bills history...

Suffice to say they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

I wouldn't spend too much time thinking about it. Far easier for the team to go back to 7-9 with new staff making changes then doing better.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There’s firms and stuff owners hire.

Ive said this before though, don’t expect McDermott to be fired after 1 losing season. It’s going to take multiple losing seasons. 

And I’ll add my opinion. The Bills would be absolutely stupid to think about firing McDermott until they have a losing season.

Didn't work for Doc Rivers.. Seems to be heading in the same direction from a results perspective .. #Bridesmaid 

A lot of folk don’t realize that Terry has me on speed dial for this very reason…, 

57 minutes ago, Gregg said:

The playoffs losses are frustrating but overall, they have turned the Bills around from being a laughingstock. At some point they do need to get past these playoff failures. 

Allen has turned the Bills around from being a laughing stock.  Most of or past coaches would have done the same, some that got 9 wins without him.  

Those two have underachieved, I suppose it's possible that they don't continue to underachieve, but i'd say is unlikely.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I think Terry Pegula knows exactly what he is doing. Made a fortune in Business coming from a blue collar upbringing. From nothing to a billionaire. Don’t let his quiet and calm demeanour fool you this guy is a very smart businessman and seems like a great person. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

When the team is doing well and/or exceeding general expectations, as it has done the past few years, minus, probably, last season, this question is kind of moot.

But if and when the team is not meeting expectations or things get complicated, is there anyone in Pegula's circle of friends or trusted business associates (at arm's length from Bills operations) who he can turn to for advice and counsel on questions related to extensions, evaluations, or possible firings?

I'm not trying to be negative; I hope McBean lead us to multiple championships... but if things don't go as well as we hope — and with an elite QB things should mean serious contention for a Super Bowl — is Terry on his own or who advises him? 

Pegula seems, obviously, like a sharp businessman, but he doesn't strike me as a football expert. Maybe I'm wrong but I expect him to turn to someone if and when he needs to make tough decisions.

How many team owners are experts in the sports their teams play?

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Go out and get Harbaugh from Michigan. He doesn't make boneheaded time management decisions, he would get the most out of Allen and has the personality perfect for Bills Mafia.

yeah, he would cost a lot... but this guy is a billionaire who just was gifted the funds for a new stadium by taxpayers, I think he ought to live up to his side of the bargain 

Yuck. Yuck. Yuck. No Head Coach loses big games to teams they have more talent than more often than Jim Harbaugh. I'd rather re-hire Marrone than that mug. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.