Who does Terry Pegula turn to for counsel when it comes to evaluating Beane & McDermott?

Nephilim17

14 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

When the team is doing well and/or exceeding general expectations, as it has done the past few years, minus, probably, last season, this question is kind of moot.

But if and when the team is not meeting expectations or things get complicated, is there anyone in Pegula's circle of friends or trusted business associates (at arm's length from Bills operations) who he can turn to for advice and counsel on questions related to extensions, evaluations, or possible firings?

I'm not trying to be negative; I hope McBean lead us to multiple championships... but if things don't go as well as we hope — and with an elite QB things should mean serious contention for a Super Bowl — is Terry on his own or who advises him? 

Pegula seems, obviously, like a sharp businessman, but he doesn't strike me as a football expert. Maybe I'm wrong but I expect him to turn to someone if and when he needs to make tough decisions.

Who do the 31 other owners turn to, plus 30 NBA owners, think there's 30 MLB teams, the list goes one.  It's no different all over.  Who did RW turn to?  They use their gut to know when to make a change and they likely will tend to read the room.

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

If you fall behind on your hot dog payments, try to ketchup right away with all the relish you can muster. 

You really pulled that out of your buns.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Lets be frank here, relish is disgusting.  

You've got some onions to have a take like that.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Err only four coaches between Jim and Josh managed 9 wins. Wade Phillips (twice in three seasons), Mike Mularkey (once in two seasons), Doug Marrone (once in two seasons) and Sean McDermott (once in one season). 

The only year that I think McDermott has underachieved as Bills coach was 2021. They underachieved in the regular season, then still got hot at the right time in the post-season then blew it. In 2022 I think given the injuries they had all year 13-3 and a playoff win was probably a slight overachievement, despite the disappointing ending.  

Outside the QB position, numerous teams that didn't make the playoffs during out drought years were better than what we have on the field today or have during Beane's watch.  

If we had the opportunity to swap one or more of those teams wholesale, while keeping Allen, we'd have a stronger team with some of those swaps.  

It's incredibly difficult to imagine even those 6-10 or 7-9 teams making the playoffs with Allen at the helm.  That's the point.  It's easy to envision Marrone's or Mularkey's 9-7 teams finishing 13-3 or better had they had Allen.  Does that mean that Mularky or Marrone were good coaches?  No.  But their teams overall had better talent at the other 23 positions, generally speaking.  

Imagine if you will, how would McD have been coaching ANY of those teams from 2000 'til 2016?  It's ridiculous to think that they would even had a chance at the playoffs.  

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Outside the QB position, numerous teams that didn't make the playoffs during out drought years were better than what we have on the field today or have during Beane's watch.  

If we had the opportunity to swap one or more of those teams wholesale, while keeping Allen, we'd have a stronger team with some of those swaps.  

It's incredibly difficult to imagine even those 6-10 or 7-9 teams making the playoffs with Allen at the helm.  That's the point.  It's easy to envision Marrone's or Mularkey's 9-7 teams finishing 13-3 or better had they had Allen.  Does that mean that Mularky or Marrone were good coaches?  No.  But their teams overall had better talent at the other 23 positions, generally speaking.  

Imagine if you will, how would McD have been coaching ANY of those teams from 2000 'til 2016?  It's ridiculous to think that they would even had a chance at the playoffs.  

The 2017 team was worse than the 2012 team, the 2014 team, the two Rex teams and at least one of the Jauron teams. Sean made the playoffs.

6 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Man are you going to get flamed for this. But it’s a far more legitimate question than most here will admit. Kim Pegula’s serious health problems have taken away half of the brain trust at the top of the Bills and Sabres decision making pyramid. Anyone who fails to recognize this is not giving Kim her due. I’m not sure what Terry has done to fill that void, but I hope he’s found high quality people to do so. I also hope that he is choosing better than Jerry Jones, who he seems to be leaning on for all things stadium related. And, yes, NFL owners often seek the council of other, more experienced owners. The NFL is a business first and foremost. 

It wouldn't shock me to see Jessica play a part in the organizational future of the Bills,  like Jeanie Buss did for the Lakers. And I've seen so many posters satisfied with winning regular seasons that they ignore Sean's mediocre playoff record.  Ask Doc Rivers what happens when that's the scenario. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It wouldn't shock me to see Jessica play a part in the organizational future of the Bills,  like Jeanie Buss did for the Lakers. And I've seen so many posters satisfied with winning regular seasons that they ignore Sean's mediocre playoff record.  Ask Doc Rivers what happens when that's the scenario. 

I honestly think that a transition of Terry and Kim to Kim to Jessica made a lot of sense prior to Kim’s medical issue. I don’t see how it works now unless Jessica wants to give up her tennis career. I wouldn’t if i was her. Maybe they find someone to take the reins until she’s ready, but selling is a real possibility - especially with the skyrocketing values of teams.

Agree on McDermott’s playoff record. But I think he’s safe this season into next unless something catastrophic happens. If this season goes like the last two did, then I think his seat will be scorching hot this time next year. 

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I honestly think that a transition of Terry and Kim to Kim to Jessica made a lot of sense prior to Kim’s medical issue. I don’t see how it works now unless Jessica wants to give up her tennis career. I wouldn’t if i was her. Maybe they find someone to take the reins until she’s ready, but selling is a real possibility - especially with the skyrocketing values of teams.

Agree on McDermott’s playoff record. But I think he’s safe this season into next unless something catastrophic happens. If this season goes like the last two did, then I think his seat will be scorching hot this time next year. 

Jess only has another 4 or 5 years in top level tennis tho. She is 29. I know she was a late developer but that is very much veteran in women's tennis.

7 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Being an NFL owner is like owning the golden goose. The value of the Bills and league overall continue to go up. If any team is in danger of being sold it would be the Sabres. The Bills are a cash cow, the Sabres not so much.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Being an NFL owner is like owning the golden goose. The value of the Bills and league overall continue to go up. If any team is in danger of being sold it would be the Sabres. The Bills are a cash cow, the Sabres not so much.

Something to be said for cashing out for billions of dollars too though. It may depend on what she wants and when she wants it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Something to be said for cashing out for billions of dollars too though. It may depend on what she wants and when she wants it. 

Good point. She may have kids of her own someday and want to pass ownership of the Bills to them. Like the Rooney family with the Steelers. I do think if any team gets sold it would be the Sabres and not the Bills. The Bills and Sabres are in different worlds financially.

• Like (+1) 1

He is the owner. He is at the top of the organization. He could hire a "football guru" if he wanted, or he can seek advice from other owners or prominent football "experts". It's the same as any other owner.

6 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

dont act like a weiner!

That's a stiff reprimand. 'Weenie' was used in a response earlier but since your 'weiner' was in the same vein, I will try not to be too hard on you.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The 2017 team was worse than the 2012 team, the 2014 team, the two Rex teams and at least one of the Jauron teams. Sean made the playoffs.

You completely leapfrogged the point.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.