Warren Sharp: 2023 Schedule is Less Fair & Equitable at a Historic Level

Max Fischer

Yep. Been trending that way for a while. When the Bills sucked we used to get screwed on it every year. Has evened out a bit now we are good. 

I think it was one of the Marrone years we played 4 teams coming off the bye and then the week we came off our bye the opponent had been TNF and so had a mini bye themselves.

We are middle of the pack now but it still sucks that the NFL doesn't do better on this.

• Agree 3

4 team divisions is bad enough.  The 17th game means teams don’t even have same amount of home games anymore.  Add in all the non-sunday games creating rest imbalances and NFL has by far the least equitable scheduling.  Not even close.  That’s why the 1 seed getting a bye is so dumb.  8 teams per conference should make playoffs.  

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills have zero back to back road games. NFL helped us out there.

Technically, they do play back to back road games (at Philly and KC) but not in consecutive weeks. It's broken up by the bye week...which is fairly late in the season and another big plus for us.

44 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

ok

what's the correlation between rest/lack of rest and wins or losses or injuries

otherwise it's just a weird scheduling fluctuation

It is a few years old now but the last time I read an analysis of this if fluctuated wildly between the first 10 weeks of the season and thereafter. Basically through 10 weeks extra rest did increase win %. Interestingly from there on in the numbers suggested extra rest actually reduced winning percentage. That was of course an era of 2 seeds on each side getting playoff byes and was in that period when we had a run of wildcard teams who make deep playoff runs. The numbers I am sure have fluctuated somewhat and I can't find the article I read despite having googled for it. I think it was sports illustrated back when Peter King was there. 

Bills have been getting tons of calls since Allen became a star in 2020.  Some games it has been almost embarrassing.  Bills also got byes before both the Bengals and Chiefs road game this year.  Not to mention being delivered the 2 seed over Cincy last year.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.