L’il Dirty Dishes

Coach Tuesday

I always like Isaiah. Long seasons are hard. You need guys in the locker room to lighten the mood and he obviously did that. He is what he is as a receiver, a guy who isn't really a full time player. But as a 5th round draft pick about to go into year 7 in the NFL he has already defied expectations. Good luck in Indy.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, GETTOTHE50 said:

daboll knew how to get the most out of him and dorsey didn't.

Mckenzie also made more mishaps than most, but in all, he played his salary worth imo.

I loved those end arounds he did at the goal line. made me stand up on my feet.

He probably would've signed with the Giants last year or this year if Daboll had a high opinion on him.  He's always been a below average route runner and it showed last year.  Combine that with a small catch radius along with shaky hands and I think not replacing him with Shakir early in the season as the primary slot WR was a mistake.  Especially right after that Steelers game earlier in the year when McKenzie was out with a concussion.  Allen and Shakir would've had the perfect opportunity the rest of the season to build chemistry and get "time on task" going into the playoffs.  It also would've given the front office a bigger sample size of who Shakir is going into this off-season.  Who knows what they do differently in both free agency and the draft.

McKenzie still is a decent gadget player for creative offensive minds so the Colts under Steichen could maximize his strengths while hiding his weaknesses. 

• Like (+1) 4

33 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He probably would've signed with the Giants last year or this year if Daboll had a high opinion on him.  He's always been a below average route runner and it showed last year.  Combine that with a small catch radius along with shaky hands and I think not replacing him with Shakir early in the season as the primary slot WR was a mistake.  Especially right after that Steelers game earlier in the year when McKenzie was out with a concussion.  Allen and Shakir would've had the perfect opportunity the rest of the season to build chemistry and get "time on task" going into the playoffs.  It also would've given the front office a bigger sample size of who Shakir is going into this off-season.  Who knows what they do differently in both free agency and the draft.

McKenzie still is a decent gadget player for creative offensive minds so the Colts under Steichen could maximize his strengths while hiding his weaknesses. 

Shakir was not ready. There are some slow playing rookies I will criticise the staff for. Shakir visibly struggled on tape the first half of last year. He improved down the stretch and I take the point he might have improved more quickly if he was getting more than a 3rd of the offensive snaps, but he was still clearly the inferior player at that point and for a team in a SB window I think they were right to make him earn extra time. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

daboll knew how to get the most out of him and dorsey didn't.

Mckenzie also made more mishaps than most, but in all, he played his salary worth imo.

I loved those end arounds he did at the goal line. made me stand up on my feet.

McKenzie had a much larger role under Dorsey due to injury. Under Daboll he was a gadget player and backup. He had some good games vs man coverage where he could run those crossers.

The Bills did not trust their healthy slot options last year. The blame is with Beane. Crowder was capable but had a long history of injuries. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I really like Li’l Dirty the guy.  Love his openness, his goofiness, and every team needs (IMO) a “character” like that in the locker room.

That said…not an NFL starting WR, and not the sharpest tool in the shed.  His highest and best use was jet sweeps.

Wish him all the best, and glad the Bills moved on.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I always like Isaiah. Long seasons are hard. You need guys in the locker room to lighten the mood and he obviously did that. He is what he is as a receiver, a guy who isn't really a full time player. But as a 5th round draft pick about to go into year 7 in the NFL he has already defied expectations. Good luck in Indy.

meh. I think he’s fine both as a receiver and person. He has the pats game, and similarly some good jokes but he had a lot of bad games, finger pointing, and general lack of accountability that likely did nothing to help his development. I never got a great read in if guys found him funny or frustrating. Likely both I guess.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

19 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

meh. I think he’s fine both as a receiver and person. He has the pats game, and similarly some good jokes but he had a lot of bad games, finger pointing, and general lack of accountability that likely did nothing to help his development. I never got a great read in if guys found him funny or frustrating. Likely both I guess.

Think the videos suggest the guys overwhelmingly found him funny. He won't be everyone's cup of tea though.

10 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Diggs was the only guy on the field you could count on to catch the football. Davis, McKenzie, Knox surrounding arguably the best QB on the planet. There were series where back to back plays were good balls, dropped, and punt. Monumental failure from the office.

Josh sprayed a lot of passes....

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Think the videos suggest the guys overwhelmingly found him funny. He won't be everyone's cup of tea though.

They did find him funny but at the same time they knew he was a liability on the field.     Everybody with any clue knew that.   Just too many mistakes.   When you are torn between wanting a teammate around personally and knowing he is costing you on the scoreboard........and unapologetically at that..........those are unnecessary loose threads to have when you want your team to be focused on being great on the field.    

It's why the Belichick/Parcells were so adamant against having players like that around.   There is a negative synergy created by accepting that in your locker room.   It's OK to be goofy off the field........JA17 is great and he's like that............but that guy can't both suck and not even be accountable about it either.  

• Like (+1) 5

57 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They did find him funny but at the same time they knew he was a liability on the field.     Everybody with any clue knew that.   Just too many mistakes.   When you are torn between wanting a teammate around personally and knowing he is costing you on the scoreboard........and unapologetically at that..........those are unnecessary loose threads to have when you want your team to be focused on being great on the field.    

It's why the Belichick/Parcells were so adamant against having players like that around.   There is a negative synergy created by accepting that in your locker room.   It's OK to be goofy off the field........JA17 is great and he's like that............but that guy can't both suck and not even be accountable about it either.  

Meh. It wasn't Isaiah who made himself a starter. Beane was the guy who decided to rely on what they had in the slot last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah and that was a dumb plan.    Crowder had struggled with injuries in 3 of the prior 4 years and had a huge drop-off  in performance in 2021.    They turned a key position over to a $2M flyer and Lil' Dummy was the insurance plan.   The presumption that Gabe Davis was ready to assume the WR2 position without a backup plan was even more shortsighted.     At least if they had some depth outside they could have played Diggs in the slot more. 

Diggs in the slot is the key phrase here.  I hope we see a little more of that this year, especially with Kincaid here.  It would be nice to have a guy who Allen trusts to run an option route on a gotta have it third down now and again. 

59 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I wonder if the act was harder to swallow last year.  I heard he was one of the guys who lost his “s” on the D on the plane after 13 seconds.  I don’t know what you heard about that flight, but I heard it was nuts.  

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Certainly possible but at least they invested a first round pick in their passing game this time.  

Yeah. Kincaid is the only one they made in the weapons group that really excites me and I believe will be promising. 

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah and that was a dumb plan.    Crowder had struggled with injuries in 3 of the prior 4 years and had a huge drop-off  in performance in 2021.    They turned a key position over to a $2M flyer and Lil' Dummy was the insurance plan.   The presumption that Gabe Davis was ready to assume the WR2 position without a backup plan was even more shortsighted.     At least if they had some depth outside they could have played Diggs in the slot more. 

Oh I agree. If shakir had been more ready it might have been ok.  Crowder was/is a good player. I didn’t mind him as the option but I did worry about his injury history

Gabe was ok as a number 2. But he didn’t do enough to be as consistent if a threat

In terms of how fans judged/valued/overvalued him, I equate McKenzie to Don Beebe, though Beebe had a more accomplished career. Beeb  played 6 years in Buffalo, never had more than 40 catches, was in the low 500s in yards, and had that one big game vs. Pittsburgh when he had 4 TDs. 

McKenzie had more modest production, though had over 400 yards last year, but had the New England game and also the Miami end of season game in '20 with 2 receiving TDs and a punt return TD. 

Both were WR4 type players, pretty one-dimensional (speed). Every fan base seems to have players that they overvalue because they are "their guys" but the rest of the league views them as a very replaceable, down-the-depth chart player.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.