Bring him to camp!

Can someone cut their starting quality RT for us while we're at it

Dawkins  _________

McGovern   Bates

Morse  Roullier

O'Cyrus   Edwards
________ Brown 

Battle between  Broeker, Boettger, Doyle, Gouraige, Quessenberry 

There may be cuts end òf preseason where we pick up some improvements if the preseason tape on oline chemistry looks like it needs help and there's any better players in cuts from other teams.  We may be set that's what we may find out in preseason. 

21 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

We have a lot of lineman already but one more couldn’t hurt

This is a good point. We're currently sitting at 17 Lineman. We generally only keep 9 on the 53. 

In addition to the signings of Connor McGovern and David Edwards, the drafting of O'Cyrus Torrence and Nick Broeker, and the re-signing of David Quessenberry - there's been under the radar moves like the re-signing of Ike Boettger, the signing of Kevin Jarvis, bringing back Greg Mancz, and signing two of the top 9 available UDFA OT's (according to NFL.com)

A lot of work has been done on the OL already. Not convinced Beane feels he needs to do more there, given the cap situation we're in. But I wouldn't be opposed.

15 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Bring him to camp!

Can someone cut their starting quality RT for us while we're at it

Dawkins  _________

McGovern   Bates

Morse  Roullier

O'Cyrus   Edwards
________ Brown 

Battle between  Broeker, Boettger, Doyle, Gouraige, Quessenberry 

Beane is going to trade OL for more draft picks IMO.  There is a shortage of OL in NFL and the Bills have too many

12 hours ago, Beast said:

Unless he can also play guard there is no spot on this roster for him. At least not this season.

Looks like he can:

15 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Per PFF he played 192 snaps at LG and 4 snaps at RG with Washington in 2018. Otherwise, he's played center exclusively in the NFL. 

Also, per PFF, he played 1,601 snaps at LG and 52 snaps at RG across 2014 and 2015 at Wyoming. He played center exclusively in 2016 before being drafted.

• Like (+1) 1

I dont know if he played 46 of 46,I think he missed a couple games during that stretch.

But, besides that,why would the Bills sign him? They already have several guys who can play center if Morse goes down.

They won't be able to stash him on the Practice Squad....what is his current health status? Will he be able to practice this summer? Then what? Carry him on the 53,tying up a roster spot,in case of emergency?

20 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

This is not a bad idea. 

It'll depend on the doctor, which we will never hear about, and the salary, which if the doctor's report is good will likely be fairly high in a year when we have to keep expenses down.

7 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Maybe ask Josh first? Just because he knows him doesn't mean he likes him...

Well its worth the ask.
 One of the reasons Morse is still center , is his smarts.
And Bill really have to look to the future at this position. regardless if this is the guy

If he could get stashed on IR ??

52 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Well its worth the ask.
 One of the reasons Morse is still center , is his smarts.
And Bill really have to look to the future at this position. regardless if this is the guy

If he could get stashed on IR ??

I'm all for kicking the tires, absolutely.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

The Commanders released Chase Roullier today with a post-June 1 designation. 

He was Allen’s teammate at Wyoming and went in the 7th round in 2017. He played well enough to receive 4/$40.5M extension prior to the 2021 season.

He fractured his fibula in 2021 and tore his MCL in 2022, which seems to be the reason behind his release - they weren’t comfortable with $12M cap hits the next two seasons after he only played 10 games in 2021/2022. Prior to 2021 he started 46/46 games and was seen as pretty durable. 

Good find. I could get behind this addition. 

17 hours ago, Beast said:

Unless he can also play guard there is no spot on this roster for him. At least not this season.

Yeah, but I am all for developing the heir apparent at center. I am a big Mitch Morse fan, but his concussions scare me.  It is only a matter of time before he has to call it quits. 

• Agree 1

On 5/5/2023 at 4:03 PM, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Beane has a history of red shirting players. Maybe this could be one of those. “Hey, sign here, rehab all year on IR, and compete with Bates to be our long term C in 2024.”

Who has  Beane "red-shirted" to create this "history"? Can't stash healthy players on I.R. 

56 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Who has  Beane "red-shirted" to create this "history"? Can't stash healthy players on I.R. 

Some speculated Buffalo would just be using the IR to stash Hodgins there for a few weeks in an effort to keep him off waivers where other teams could claim him https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/07/buffalo-bills-brandon-beane-isaiah-hodgins-injured-reserve/

I think the same was claimed for Marquez Stevenson.

Buffalo general manager Brandon Beane likes the rule changes. 

“There’s a line that the league worries about roster stashing, just putting guys on to get another guy so I think you want to make sure that people aren’t stashing,” Beane said. “That’s going to be what the league stance is. I think it’s come to a pretty good medium.”

https://wtop.com/nfl/2022/11/nfl-injured-reserve-rule-change-forcing-teams-to-be-choosy/

@HaplessBillsFan on here had a nice post explaining it:

Right.  So what we did last year with (I believe it was) Tommy Sweeney could work.  Sweeney, who had a foot injury, was on the initial 53.

To accomodate him, we actually cut a player we truly wanted to keep, Andre Roberts, whom other teams immediately tried to sign. 

Roberts had a "gentleman's agreement" with Beane, which he honored.  As soon as the season began, Sweeney was placed on IR and Roberts was re-signed at his original contract, but with his season's salary fully guaranteed as it would have been if he'd been on the 53 man roster opening day.

About IR roster options

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2021/8/30/22647035/buffalo-bills-general-manager-brandon-beane-sure-to-employ-roster-shenanigans-this-week

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.