Where’s my big tub of goo?

oldmanfan

I am a big believer that great teams are great up front.  And to me that means having a big tub of goo on the D line - a big huge DT that eats up blockers.  I grew up with Jim Dunaway in the 60’s and Freddie Smerlas in the 80’s.  And yes they would be considered small today but not in their day. Ted Washington, Pat Williams.  If we had had a big tub of goo in the Super Bowl era instead of Jeff Wright I’m convinced we win at least 2 of the 4.  For the past several years I keep pleading for my big tub of goo, and Brandon breaks my heart every time.

Give me my big tub of goo!!!!

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I am a big believer that great teams are great up front.  And to me that means having a big tub of goo on the D line - a big huge DT that eats up blockers.  I grew up with Jim Dunaway in the 70’s and Freddie Smerlas in theRemember Freddie Smerlas.  And yes they would be considered small today but not in their day. Ted Washington, Pat Williams.  If we had had a big tub of goo in the Super Bowl era instead of Jeff Wright I’m convinced we win at least 2 of the 4.  For the past several years I keep pleading for my big tub of goo, and Brandon breaks my heart every time.

Unless you're running a 3-4, a "big tub of goo" is a thing of the past. And even in a 3-4, they're just a space eater. You need to be powerful and athletic in today's NFL. Especially in the type of Defense we run.

Gone are the Ted Washington's, now is the time of the Aaron Donald's.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

16 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Bills just signed DJ Dale, DT from Alabama. 6”1’ 302.

I don't think that's big and gooey enough for the OP. 

Da'Quan Jones at 6'4", 320 apparently isn't

Tim Settle at 6'3", 308 apparently isn't (and I think that's a Very Old Weight, he looks gooier now)

Ed Oliver at 6'1" 287 certainly isn't

No love for BigJ9797 at 6'6" 341 either

Perhaps the OP could specify: just how big and gooey are you seeking?

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I am a big believer that great teams are great up front.  And to me that means having a big tub of goo on the D line - a big huge DT that eats up blockers.  I grew up with Jim Dunaway in the 60’s and Freddie Smerlas in the 80’s.  And yes they would be considered small today but not in their day. Ted Washington, Pat Williams.  If we had had a big tub of goo in the Super Bowl era instead of Jeff Wright I’m convinced we win at least 2 of the 4.  For the past several years I keep pleading for my big tub of goo, and Brandon breaks my heart every time.

Star worked out real well 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Unless you're running a 3-4, a "big tub of goo" is a thing of the past. And even in a 3-4, they're just a space eater. You need to be powerful and athletic in today's NFL. Especially in the type of Defense we run.

Gone are the Ted Washington's, now is the time of the Aaron Donald's.

Darnold's is an exception, instead there's the Chris Jones, Quentin Williams, Jeffrey Simmons, Christian Wilkins etc.

• Like (+1) 1

Ted Washington went 375 and pat Williams was 350ish. On short yardage plays, nobody got a first down up the middle.

I remember the pork faced Satan crying after a loss about his team getting whipped up front after 2 failed 4th short plays up the gut.

I believe the OP was talking about big Ted size goo.

Fyi, I agree with him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.