Where’s my big tub of goo?

oldmanfan

12 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Unless you're running a 3-4, a "big tub of goo" is a thing of the past. And even in a 3-4, they're just a space eater. You need to be powerful and athletic in today's NFL. Especially in the type of Defense we run.

Gone are the Ted Washington's, now is the time of the Aaron Donald's.

If a "big tug of goo" can move like Mount Washington could there is a role for a player.

Sorry, old man, McDermott doesn't want no tubs of goo.   All those guys you name, they were great, but they didn't play the style that McDermott wants to play.   As I understand it, McDermott's 1-technique guys have to be big and and hold their ground, but they need to be mobile athletes, too.   Really mobile, with good lateral quickness and good pass rush potential.   The tubs of goo aren't like that. 

Don't misunderstand me.  I can't see why you wouldn't want a Vince Wilfork or Pat Williams in the center of your line - those guys seem to me to be game wreckers.   But that isn't what McDermott seems to want.  Maybe Torrence is an indication that McDermott's views are changing, that mobility and athleticism is great, but sometimes you just need athletic mass.   

For now, it certainly seems that Daquon Jones is as much goo as you get.  

17 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I am a big believer that great teams are great up front.  And to me that means having a big tub of goo on the D line - a big huge DT that eats up blockers.  I grew up with Jim Dunaway in the 60’sif

Give me my big tub of goo!!!!

If you remember Jim Dunaway in the 60's, you must remember "super stuff" and "silly putty", both tubs of goo. 🤪

19 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Nah.  You can always use a big tub of goo.

Problem with him was he had too much goo  in the brain.

No,you aren't keeping up with the game.  Passing is WAY more prevalent than when you watched football in the dark ages.

The fact that your post is about 'a big tub of goo" shows why you can't be taken seriously. 

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.