RD 3, Pick 91: LB Dorian Williams, Tulane

SDS

Personally I would've preferred Dawand Jones. We would've established true OL battles to protect 17.  I remember watching Williams dominate a top 10 USC team but I can't help but feel this was a reach because we lost out on 5 other LB's.  Now we have like 5 mediocre ILB's vying for 1 position. Maybe they run a true 4-3 and allow Dorian to play OLB? We'll see?

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Ok I guess let me better explain. People are begging for Dawand Jones, Trenton Simpson etc? What is the reason for that?

Most of the time, not all , is because they’ve seen those guys really high in a lot of mock draft ls that the media pull out. 

So when it gets to the 3rd round and Simpson is still on the board, why are people not questioning the mock drafts that had him going high as he sits there in late round 3 versus realizing there is something going on that they either don’t know or haven’t seen. 

I explained Simpson lacks instincts , which Louis Riddick(who’s been interviewed for GM jobs) backs that exact sentiment up on ESPN when the pick goes down.

It’s clear Dawand Jones hasn’t gone because theirs weight and work ethic concerns but because he was mocked in round 1 by media , people are still begging for him when it’s now 100 picks deep and 32 NFL GMs have passed on him multiple times. 

I don’t know man.  We just think differently in this regard.  

I was begging for Trey Smith for 5 rounds.  Meanwhile you were thinking that he’s slipping for a reason and that the nfl

knows best because they get paid and you’re on the couch.  I was right to be furious about picking Marquez Stevenson and a Rachad Wildgoose.  Beane and the entire nfl failed in their Trey Smith evaluations

Edited by NewEra

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

the standard answer will be that Dawand is a lazy overweight bum. I’d rather take a swing on a guy who literally has the tools to be a HOFer if he’s coached, focused and motivated…..instead we take ANOTHER tweener! How many of these LBs and DBs do we need

we already have 4 of the same player

Competition is good 

21 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Competition is good 

the competition is over. Special Teams run some laps.

25 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t know man.  We just think differently in this regard.  

I was begging for Trey Smith for 5 rounds.  Meanwhile you were thinking that he’s slipping for a reason and that the nfl

knows best because they get paid and you’re on the couch.  I was right to be furious about picking Marquez Stevenson and a Rachad Wildgoose.  Beane and the entire nfl failed in their Trey Smith evaluations

If Dawand Jones makes it to the later half of round 4, I’d offer our 5th, 4th and 7th next year. Risky, yes. But, he has the potential to be an All Pro OT

Edited by Warriorspikes51

15 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

the competition is over. Special Teams run some laps.

If Dawand Jones makes it to the later half of round 4, I’d offer our 5th, 4th and 7th next year. Risky, yes. But, he has the potential to be an All Pro OT

If some of the rumors about teams despising his disposition are true, I wouldn’t.  The FO knows more than us in that regard. 

I’m generally not a fan of drafting any player that big. It’s difficult to play in the nfl and remain healthy. It’s my belief that it’s much more difficult when your 6’8 380

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Missed the opportunity to get a dynamic play maker in Drew Sanders in round 2, now we have just another small LB who  has bad read and reaction ability.

No.  Now we have a beastly OG that was projected as possible 1st rd pick and best OG in the draft. A OG that didn’t give up a sack in college. 

No. 91 - Dorian Williams, LB, Tulane

The Bills selected Williams midway through the third round, which is quite the surprise when looking back at the stage he and his teammates Tulane were at a year ago.

The Green Wave finished the 2021 season with a 2-12 record doing a complete 180 in 2022, going 12-2 and winning the Cotton Bowl over the talented USC Trojans. Williams was a major reason why, as he did a little bit of everything. Along with posting a career-high 17 tackles in that 46-45 win over USC, he led Tulane in tackles (131), sacks (five), was second in passes defended (seven), had two interceptions and forced two fumbles.

"He's a tackle machine, he's very athletic," Beane said.

He has his elite closing speed to thank, something he showed flashes of when he tied for the fourth-fastest 40 time among linebackers at the combine with a 4.49. This kind of 4-4 speed while rushing toward the quarterback or forcing running backs to cut it back inside could be a major reason why Beane said he'll be starting out at outside linebacker.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bills-day-2-draft-recap-buffalo-selects-tackle-machine-for-defense-immovable-object-for-offense/ar-AA1avpBj?cvid=9c026ab8824e4a6f90ae7dcf1e36ce6b&ocid=winp2fptaskbar&ei=

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

No. 91 - Dorian Williams, LB, Tulane

The Bills selected Williams midway through the third round, which is quite the surprise when looking back at the stage he and his teammates Tulane were at a year ago.

The Green Wave finished the 2021 season with a 2-12 record doing a complete 180 in 2022, going 12-2 and winning the Cotton Bowl over the talented USC Trojans. Williams was a major reason why, as he did a little bit of everything. Along with posting a career-high 17 tackles in that 46-45 win over USC, he led Tulane in tackles (131), sacks (five), was second in passes defended (seven), had two interceptions and forced two fumbles.

"He's a tackle machine, he's very athletic," Beane said.

He has his elite closing speed to thank, something he showed flashes of when he tied for the fourth-fastest 40 time among linebackers at the combine with a 4.49. This kind of 4-4 speed while rushing toward the quarterback or forcing running backs to cut it back inside could be a major reason why Beane said he'll be starting out at outside linebacker.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bills-day-2-draft-recap-buffalo-selects-tackle-machine-for-defense-immovable-object-for-offense/ar-AA1avpBj?cvid=9c026ab8824e4a6f90ae7dcf1e36ce6b&ocid=winp2fptaskbar&ei=

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/dorian-williams-f030601f-289a-4ba7-8714-6db6e4405486/

Williams profiles as an impact special teamer that can provide depth at linebacker on defense. He has the physical makeup of a starter but has to get stronger, play faster, and develop instinctively to envision him as a starter at the next level. 

Ideal Role: Core four special teamer and reserve linebacker, preferably a WILL 

Scheme Fit: There is a path for him in any scheme 

TDN Consensus Grade: 69.00/100 (Sixth-Round Value)

Marino Grade: 69.00/100

Written By: Joe Marino

The more I think about this pick the more I hate it. No idea wtf McBeane is doing. Such a good first two rounds and then they had to go full McBeane. They can't help themselves. 

We extend Milano. Then spend a third round pick on a guy to be his backup/ST player..... a year after spending a third round pick on a guy to be his backup/special teams player.

Ugh

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I liked Williams day 3 but I think a lot of us would have preferred something like gambling on the potential of Drew Sanders in round 2 and then going with a Chandler Zavala in round 3 if they were determined to go G/LB or LB/G.    Which is what it seems they were doing in hindsight.

They really couldn't have expected the LB's that could run to last to day 3, could they have?   Interior OL was generally expected to be deeper on day 3.

Torrence really has to be a very good guard for that sequence to make sense.   O'Cyrus has that "I saw him mocked in round 1" name recognition that Cyrus Kouandjio and Cody Ford had before him as second round offensive lineman that the Bills have drafted in Whaley/Beane eras.  Same kinda' questions regarding the agility from the knees down.  A second round guard really needs to turn into star quality blocker pretty quickly.   

Didn’t like what I saw and read about Sanders and missed tackles.  That he’s a better blitzer then read and react. 

At the moment, I’m not worried about MLB - If the FO isn’t I’m not going to be.  

D line?  Yes I’m definitely hoping we add big time here.   That would improve our LB play.  

And fwiw the Eagles haven’t really replaced Edwards.  The traditional MLB doesn’t seem like a top priority position as more and more teams go pass heavy and want you to cover these RBs and pass catching TEs.   

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Process said:

The more I think about this pick the more I hate it. No idea wtf McBeane is doing. Such a good first two rounds and then they had to go full McBeane. They can't help themselves. 

We extend Milano. Then spend a third round pick on a guy to be his backup/ST player..... a year after spending a third round pick on a guy to be his backup/special teams player.

Ugh

I laughed because it’s true. The Bernard/Dorian Williams picks are very similar in some regards. Both were named player of a bowl game (or something like that) after big defensive performances. Both are undersized, but sideline to sideline. One is from Tulane, the other from Baylor, and neither were slotted in the 3rd by the “experts.” Here’s to hoping at least one becomes a standout player.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Didn’t like what I saw and read about Sanders and missed tackles.  That he’s a better blitzer then read and react. 

At the moment, I’m not worried about MLB - If the FO isn’t I’m not going to be.  

D line?  Yes I’m definitely hoping we add big time here.   That would improve our LB play.  

And fwiw the Eagles haven’t really replaced Edwards.  The traditional MLB doesn’t seem like a top priority position as more and more teams go pass heavy and want you to cover these RBs and pass catching TEs.   

This! 

I'm not going to worry about it either as these men have a plan. You don't build a top 5 defense year after year and not know what you are doing. 

Are Bills fans expecting a Ray Lewis in the 3rd round? The top LBer in this year's draft was Jack Campbell at #18 to Detroit. If the Bills somehow had drafted him you can bet that some would be complaining about it. 

Yes, he is a developmental project that will be regulated to start on special teams...deal with it. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.