RD 1, Pick 25: TE Dalton Kincaid, Utah

SDS

37 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I know his position is TE, but what if we just pretend he is a big body slot WR and have Knox play the actual TE position?

His blocking needs work for a TE, but it is probably pretty good for a WR.

I hope we never have to tag him, because it will lead to the obvious question of “what is his position?”  He would argue that he’s NOT a TE but a member of the higher paid WR class, and I expect that down the road I will have to agree with him. Jimmy Graham comes to mind. Time will tell. 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

I know his position is TE, but what if we just pretend he is a big body slot WR and have Knox play the actual TE position?

Fairly confidant that will be the plan.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

hope we never have to tag him, because it will lead to the obvious question of “what is his position?”

Getting about 5 yrs ahead of ourselves, no??? I pray we have this Kelse-Gronk-esk problem in 5 yrs!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/5/2023 at 10:05 PM, The Wiz said:

Or audible him to come in and block and have Knox run a route.  

That's the beauty of it.  He makes it more of a guess for the defense than Knox inline and Gilliam in the backfield as a FB (granted I never saw that dump off coming against Tennessee).

Just need to use the weapons they have the right way.

I've already said I believe the Kincaid will help with Knox's production.  He's going to get lost in the wash more often.

Knox and Kincaid crossing can be a problem for the LBs too.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Since1981 said:

Getting about 5 yrs ahead of ourselves, no??? I pray we have this Kelse-Gronk-esk problem in 5 yrs!!

Just pointing it out to the people who think we took a TE too high, or he’s a lousy blocker for a TE. I mean, I know he’s a TE, but he’s not really a TE. 

And yes, I know it’s way too soon but I’m not really thinking 5 years down the road. I’m just trying to highlight the “TE Classification Dilemma” for those who are thinking of the position in the more traditional sense. 

And yes again, let us hope this is a real issue down the road because he is such an All Pro stud! 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I hope we never have to tag him, because it will lead to the obvious question of “what is his position?”  He would argue that he’s NOT a TE but a member of the higher paid WR class, and I expect that down the road I will have to agree with him. Jimmy Graham comes to mind. Time will tell. 

If we have to find out, chances are things went well to get there

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Augie said:

HE played 30% (roughly) of his snaps on the line. Lets reverse this. How many WR's have any snaps on the line. What % will Kincaid be on the line for Buffalo if Knox is not in that specific play or out for the game. If that comes out to be any % over say 10% Then he is still a big bodied TE that plays WR.

Only time and stats will tell

12 hours ago, DapperCam said:

I think this is exactly what they plan to do

• Like (+1) 2

Anyone listen to The Rockport Report draft recap pod from a couple weeks ago?   Nate Geary was the guest and he was brutal in that particular episode  Maybe he should refrain from putting down beers.  Forever. 

His reasoning for Kincaid being a bad pick was Dorsey and his play calling last season + the fact that they ran less 12 personnel than any team in the league.  If Dorsey is the problem with drafting Kincaid….. then Dorsey is the problem and won’t be around long anyway. It has nothing to do with Kincaid.  Basically disregarding the fact that Kincaid will be used as the slot the majority of the time.  Refuting the fact that bringing in OJ Howard last year (and guaranteeing him 3.1m) had anything to do with Dorsey wanting to implement more 12 personnel…. Even though the panthers ran the 2nd most 12 when in Carolina.  

It was a cringeworthy portion of pod on his end.  But down the beers nate-  you’re a lightweight 

Edited by NewEra

18 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

HE played 30% (roughly) of his snaps on the line. Lets reverse this. How many WR's have any snaps on the line. What % will Kincaid be on the line for Buffalo if Knox is not in that specific play or out for the game. If that comes out to be any % over say 10% Then he is still a big bodied TE that plays WR.

Only time and stats will tell

If he lines up at the line for only 10% of his snaps, he would have a major case to be classified as a WR.  Just like the LBs who rush 80% of the time.  They usually win their case to be classified as a DE.  

What typically happens in those cases is the team and player agree to a number somewhere in the middle.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, cle23 said:

If he lines up at the line for only 10% of his snaps, he would have a major case to be classified as a WR.  Just like the LBs who rush 80% of the time.  They usually win their case to be classified as a DE.  

What typically happens in those cases is the team and player agree to a number somewhere in the middle.

I agree.  

i also think he’ll play more than 10% of his snaps in line

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.