Rodgers Traded to Jets Officially

Dablitzkrieg

First, as to Green Bay.  Before anyone praises their picks for the trade let's remember Rodgers was signed on his earlier contract through this season.

They let Aaron force them to sign that 3-year extension and they didn't get out of that for free.  They take a $40M cap hit this season.  Not having

Love playing at all they are stuck with a 5th-year option dilemma.  If Love fails, they are going to be hurting to find a QB.

Second, as for the Jets.  They no doubt improved and are "ALL IN" for this season.  The whole NFL will have to wait to see how this works out.

Rodgers cap hit is only $15.8M this season BUT they are paying out a lot of cash this year.  The 2024 #1 pick can be claimed to be a #2 but

that won't mean anything next season when they don't have the #1.  Jets have a lot of players who will be UFAs next season.  If this marriage

doesn't work out this season, and Aaron retires, they are right back where they were.  Looking at the tough Jets schedule which is far tougher

than the team has had in the past will be very interesting.

Third, as for the Bills.  Can't deny the Jets will be tougher this season.  One thing I feel Beane can't do is get into an "arms race" because of

this.  He needs to stick with their off season plans and let the players play up to the new Jets competition.  My initial feeling is the teams

split their home games.  That's not a disaster for the Bills.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 5

Actually pretty solid on the Jets side, if he gets hurt or is God Awful, pull him and avoid the pick, if he’s playing well, it’s a worth a first.

Huge “If”, but IF he’s healthy and playing to his best level, I think the Jets just moved to the favorite to win the division. Still a major “IF”, though.

Edited by DCofNC

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Actually pretty solid on the Jets side, if he gets hurt or is God Awful, pull him and avoid the pick, if he’s playing well, it’s a worth a first.

Or it could be somewhere in the middle which ostensibly makes for a tougher decision, though I can't see them pulling him unless he is truly awful which I doubt happens.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Or it could be somewhere in the middle which ostensibly makes for a tougher decision, though I can't see them pulling him unless he is truly awful which I doubt happens.

I see it more as a play against injury.   That said, if he’s really REALLY bad, they could pull him too.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Either way the division got a lot harder. It's not a given the Bills are the number 1. It's going to be a dog fight the whole season. 

3 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Either way the division got a lot harder. It's not a given the Bills are the number 1. It's going to be a dog fight the whole season. 

I haven't read anyone who believes the Jets are not better with Rodgers. I am still in the camp that believes the Bills remain the best team, but the division is very good and it might be the best in the league. The AFC in general is stacked. Nearly all the good QBs reside there. OTOH, everyone expected the AFC West to be a murderers row last year and that turned out a mirage.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Brett Favre 2.0

We should pray that he isn't that good. 

Favre took the Jets from being the 25th ranked scoring offense to the 9th ranked. Anything similar to that with Rodgers - and with the Jets defense - would not be a good thing for us.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I haven't read anyone who believes the Jets are not better with Rodgers.

Exactly. We're not talking about replacing some middle of the road QB like Andy Dalton with Aaron Rodgers. We are talking about taking maybe the worst QB room in football and bringing in a guy who was the MVP in 2020 and 2021. He doesn't have to be godlike to make them a lot better.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

We should pray that he isn't that good. 

Favre took the Jets from being the 25th ranked scoring offense to the 9th ranked. Anything similar to that with Rodgers - and with the Jets defense - would not be a good thing for us.

Exactly. We're not talking about replacing some middle of the road QB like Andy Dalton with Aaron Rodgers. We are talking about taking maybe the worst QB room in football and bringing in a guy who was the MVP in 2020 and 2021. He doesn't have to be godlike to make them a lot better.

Let’s just worry about ourselves first hey?

If the Bills are playing close to their best like the start of the season last year… they should still be ok for the Division and a Championship run..

If they play like the second half of last season… then it won’t really matter what the Jets are doing …because that level of play isn’t doing much come the playoffs as we saw in January..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Let’s just worry about ourselves first hey?

If the Bills are playing close to their best like the start of the season last year… they should still be ok for the Division and a Championship run..

If they play like the second half of last season… then it won’t really matter what the Jets are doing …because that level of play isn’t doing much come the playoffs as we saw in January..

Right. I'm not all doom and gloom here, but it is now obvious that the AFC East is competitive again. I kind of wish we could have had our 2 decade run of opposition ineptitude like the Pats had. But that was an aberration in the modern NFL.

Thanks to OP for starting a new thread and not having this discussion be embedded 50 pages into the Rodgers talking to Jets thread

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Right. I'm not all doom and gloom here, but it is now obvious that the AFC East is competitive again. I kind of wish we could have had our 2 decade run of opposition ineptitude like the Pats had. But that was an aberration in the modern NFL.

Yes I agree.. it’s gunna be a tougher division … but the biggest threats will still  be the Chiefs and Bengals..

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Winning the division got real hard. Not a lot of holes on that roster. 

Rodgers puts the Jets right there with Miami and the Bills. Any of the three teams can win the division. 

It's gonna be a dogfight. The path for the Bills isn't easy. 

Some might think the Bills don't even have the best QB in the division. Tua is a winner and Rodgers is a Super Bowl winner and multiple MVP winner. Allen has nice regular season wins. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

How long before the “Aaron Rogers plans to hold out until #12 becomes available”

He's number 8.  Turned down Joe Willy's permission to to wear 12.  Classy. 

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Rodgers puts the Jets right there with Miami and the Bills. Any of the three teams can win the division. 

It's gonna be a dogfight. The path for the Bills isn't easy. 

Some might think the Bills don't even have the best QB in the division. Tua is a winner and Rodgers is a Super Bowl winner and multiple MVP winner. Allen has nice regular season wins. 

Yeah, i guess it's natural for fans to throw shade on the rivals.  They'll definitely question Allen again sooner or later without making the run game better by Thursday.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'm totally on the fence about how this move makes me feel. I could see it making the Jets a really scary Super Bowl caliber team. I could also see it crashing and burning and leading to a total house cleaning at the end of the season. And anything in between.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

He's number 8.  Turned down Joe Willy's permission to to wear 12.  Classy. 

Yeah, i guess it's natural for fans to throw shade on the rivals.  They'll definitely question Allen again sooner or later without making the run game better by Thursday.  

I'll still take Allen over anyone but Mahomes and Burrow. 

Point being Allen hasn't made a Super Bowl appearance or hoisted a Lombardi Trophy. Obviously, it's not all on him. However, modern day football is all about the rings. As a result, the negativity will drift towards him rightly or wrongly so. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.