Anyone with knowledge/experience with CBD as pain relief for senior? PM please

Beck Water

I know there's some folks here who know their stuff

Looking for advice/experience either from someone who is dispensing CBD or someone who has ordered/used it for pain relief for a Senior

No lawbreaking involved as medical and recreational marijuana are now legal in this state

Please PM as it's not for me and I don't want to post someone else's personal medical info

TIA

15 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Just buy an ounce of weed and a large bong instead.   

Very relaxing     

While this may be partly sarcastic (?) it is dead accurate as well.

Finally got my dad to try some edibles, and even the THC/CBD sodas they have. And they immediately took all his elderly back and knee pain away. He's been dabbling regularly since.

Sincerely, just partake in the now-legalized cannabis and enjoy. May even get benefits and issues addressed that you werent expecting!

edit: Get a 6er of these guys and enjoy

wP3rsbu.jpg

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Finally got my dad to try some edibles, and even the THC/CBD sodas they have. And they immediately took all his elderly back and knee pain away. He's been dabbling regularly since.

Sincerely, just partake in the now-legalized cannabis and enjoy. May even get benefits and issues addressed that you werent expecting!

it’s not sarcastic.    Who needs this cbd/delta 8 crap when the real thing is available. 

old timers were wrong about a bunch of things, throw this on the list. 

• Like (+1) 1

the place by me sells a black looking extract that comes in a small syringe.  when i asked what it was, (i don't remember what they called it) they let me know it's a popular product for pain control, and one guy buys a few weekly.  Put it in his coffee, and apparently it helps greatly.  thc product.

moonrock works for me!

What are moon rocks and how do you smoke them?

Great for medical patients or other folks who want a high dose of THC

perfectly legal here in fla and pretty sure since nys is a legal state, aplenty there I'm sure as well.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

moonrock works for me!

What are moon rocks and how do you smoke them?

Great for medical patients or other folks who want a high dose of THC

perfectly legal here in fla and pretty sure since nys is a legal state, aplenty there I'm sure as well.

the place by me has moonrocks as well, and i grab it when i can.  nys is weird.  there was a lawsuit stopping licenses being awarded in most parts of the state.  recently they just lifted hold in all areas of ny except one...the finger lakes region...my region.  it's so annoying.  that being said, there are dispensaries everywhere.  they operate fully out in the open, and not a soul seems to care.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I bought a salve for my wife’s back pain. She goes to a chiropractor every other week. 1 ounce of 1,000 mg hemp extract for around $45. It’s lasted for months as she uses as needed. Usually if she’s doing gardening or sitting for too long quilting. I rub it on her sore back and she says it relieves the pain in minutes for the day. 

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

edit: Get a 6er of these guys and enjoy

wP3rsbu.jpg

I'm a mental health counselor... and a huge proponent of marijuana/THC for several things. Would MUCH rather have my patients smoking or having an edible over taking a benzo that they'll get hooked on and that could kill them. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I'm a mental health counselor... and a huge proponent of marijuana/THC for several things. Would MUCH rather have my patients smoking or having an edible over taking a benzo that they'll get hooked on and that could kill them. 

I clicked "Thank You". Ironic that the emoji I have to use to show my appreciation of this post and the work you do is the most dangerous/devastating/bane-to-humanity substance of them all. :thumbsup:

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

The moon rock that I get is. A hemp company sells it along with the CBD gummies and all that Delta 9 stuff as well as flower. And it's so close to being legal as it is. It won't be long and Florida will be following suit.

Delta 9 is regular old THC that you get smoking the illegal weed we all know and love.

Delta 8 is the synthetic, non-trippy stuff that is included in the hemp/CBD stuff.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade as much as be very clear and specific on what folks are consuming. But the moon rock you are buying in Florida is not the moon rock someone would get in a legal state. The legal-state moon rocks would put a first-timer into a coma. I want to make this distinction so a newb doesnt find themselves signing up for a trip they weren't expecting.

edit: haha, you can click "disagree" all you want, but that doesnt change the fact you arent getting the same thing folks get at legal state dispensaries. And acting like you are could really put someone in a dangerous situation.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I know there's some folks here who know their stuff

Looking for advice/experience either from someone who is dispensing CBD or someone who has ordered/used it for pain relief for a Senior

No lawbreaking involved as medical and recreational marijuana are now legal in this state

Please PM as it's not for me and I don't want to post someone else's personal medical info

TIA

Im not a clinician but I’m a month shy of a masters degree in medical cannabis science and therapeutics. I can at least give some direction on things to look for as while there are some promising developments, the CBD / hemp derived product industry is quite a bit more of a “Wild West” than regulated medicinal or adult use markets. PM me with any specific questions 

4 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

it’s not sarcastic.    Who needs this cbd/delta 8 crap when the real thing is available. 

old timers were wrong about a bunch of things, throw this on the list. 

If you’re just talking getting high, sure the “regular stuff” is going to do the job. But CBD has some promising applications and we’re just scratching the surface of our knowledge on Delta 8. When isolated correctly from “real” labs and equipment, there’s therapeutic potential for both.  

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Delta 9 is regular old THC that you get smoking the illegal weed we all know and love.

Delta 8 is the synthetic, non-trippy stuff that is included in the hemp/CBD stuff.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade as much as be very clear and specific on what folks are consuming. But the moon rock you are buying in Florida is not the moon rock someone would get in a legal state. The legal-state moon rocks would put a first-timer into a coma. I want to make this distinction so a newb doesnt find themselves signing up for a trip they weren't expecting.

edit: haha, you can click "disagree" all you want, but that doesnt change the fact you arent getting the same thing folks get at legal state dispensaries. And acting like you are could really put someone in a dangerous situation.

While less potent, Delta 8 is in fact psychoactive. It binds differently to cannabinoid receptors in general, so the effects are typically more subdued. Take enough, and you’ll still get there. It’s also naturally occurring in the plant, just not in commercially available amounts that’s why the stuff you see for sale  “made” from CBD in the lab. 

3 hours ago, teef said:

the place by me has moonrocks as well, and i grab it when i can.  nys is weird.  there was a lawsuit stopping licenses being awarded in most parts of the state.  recently they just lifted hold in all areas of ny except one...the finger lakes region...my region.  it's so annoying.  that being said, there are dispensaries everywhere.  they operate fully out in the open, and not a soul seems to care.

It’s a complicated legal issue at this point that stems from the social equity and diversity initiatives that NY included in their licensing awards. Definitely an unintended consequence of how they set up the system. Like you said, illegal places keep popping up everywhere while other “legitimate” businesses still sit on the sidelines. There’s been an injunction in place preventing issuing of new licenses in those areas while they try and sort it out. It’s kind of a mess. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I clicked "Thank You". Ironic that the emoji I have to use to show my appreciation of this post and the work you do is the most dangerous/devastating/bane-to-humanity substance of them all. :thumbsup:

There is no emoji adequate for this. Period. 

I’ve tried a roll on for my bad right shoulder.  I put a lot of miles on that shoulder.  It seemed to be helping, but that could be the placebo effect or I just didn’t sleep on my right side much then. I must say, it smelled suspiciously like BenGay. 

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

There is no emoji adequate for this. Period. 

I’ve tried a roll on for my bad right shoulder.  I put a lot of miles on that shoulder.  It seemed to be helping, but that could be the placebo effect or I just didn’t sleep on my right side much then. I must say, it smelled suspiciously like BenGay. 

There’s not a lot of good evidence right now for topical / transdermal delivery of Cannabinoids. Cannabinoids present some unique challenges from a drug delivery standpoint in general, and those types of products are at the top of the list. There’s a lot less bioactivity when compared to smoking / vaping, ingestion, sublingual, etc. That’s not to say good topicals are impossible or  non-existent, there just haven’t been a lot of proper studies backing it up past anecdotal evidence.

There is a LOT of individual variability in peoples response to Cannabinoids and as a whole, we really don’t know squat about them. The barriers to research are significant and as that has started to change, we will see a rapid increase in our understanding. Perhaps in 10 or 20 years we will know more about WHY the same couple hits of weed can put someone close to an ER visit while others can go about their day like nothing is different. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

It’s a complicated legal issue at this point that stems from the social equity and diversity initiatives that NY included in their licensing awards. Definitely an unintended consequence of how they set up the system. Like you said, illegal places keep popping up everywhere while other “legitimate” businesses still sit on the sidelines. There’s been an injunction in place preventing issuing of new licenses in those areas while they try and sort it out. It’s kind of a mess. 

it really has been a mess, very a la ny.  there just seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why certain regions are being allowed and others aren't.  i feel bad for some that are trying to open a  store with an actual license.  Some are paying for store fronts they can't sell in yet, and others claim the product in going bad.  hopefully all regions are given the green light by this summer, and the actual dispensaries open.  the ones now seem to be mostly head shops that sell product.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, teef said:

the place by me sells a black looking extract that comes in a small syringe.  when i asked what it was, (i don't remember what they called it) they let me know it's a popular product for pain control, and one guy buys a few weekly.  Put it in his coffee, and apparently it helps greatly.  thc product.

That would be RSO

rick Simpson oil … and yes very potent as a pain reliever 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, teef said:

nys is weird.  there was a lawsuit stopping licenses being awarded in most parts of the state.  recently they just lifted hold in all areas of ny except one...the finger lakes region...my region.  it's so annoying.  that being said, there are dispensaries everywhere.  they operate fully out in the open, and not a soul seems to care.

Syracuse cracked down on places without a license several months ago.  Last fall, a place opened a few doors down from where I work, constant stream of people in and out.  I noticed shortly after Syr stated they were stopping places from selling, that the store was not open anymore.  Not sure if they were made to close, or closed on their own. 

19 hours ago, teef said:

Sounds like a tincture or RSO. My friend's dad had cancer and used tinctures a lot. Said it helped with the pain. 

I'm not elderly but have chronic pain and multiple disabilities. I use some form of THC/CBD daily. Its much better than pain pills. Some can get me to a point where I'm almost normal. Just be careful with THC if they're not used to it esp in edibles. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

• 7 months later...

I have a torn meniscus.  I bought a 4oz jar of CBD about the size of a Noxzema jar's worth.  It was very expensive ~$130.  I have been trying it for over a month and frankly it doesn't work.  I noticed no relief.  I asked my Dr about it and he said it works on cats and dogs but not humans.  He said buy the real thing from "Wille Nelson's Place".  

I also agree with @Not at the table Karlosabout the THC edibles.  It seems to me that they are not very well regulated.  Some don't do anything.  The others make you comatose.  Be careful.   

Edited by Irv

21 hours ago, Irv said:

I have a torn meniscus.  I bought a 4oz jar of CBD about the size of a Noxzema jar's worth.  It was very expensive ~$130.  I have been trying it for over a month and frankly it doesn't work.  I noticed no relief.  I asked my Dr about it and he said it works on cats and dogs but not humans.  He said buy the real thing from "Wille Nelson's Place".  

I also agree with @Not at the table Karlosabout the THC edibles.  It seems to me that they are not very well regulated.  Some don't do anything.  The others make you comatose.  Be careful.   

There have been studies that show CBD without THC isn't really effective.

The edibles I couldn't agree more with.  In fact after being a daily smoker for a long time, a bad edible changed my life lol.  It may not be as popular but the delta 8 works really well for me.  It's legal literally everywhere and you can have it shipped to your house.  It has the calming effectives without the strong head buzz.  

• Like (+1) 1

I completely understand your concern about seeking advice on CBD as a pain relief option for a senior. It's important to gather as much information as possible to make the best decision for their well-being.You might consider reaching out to local dispensaries or online communities where people share their experiences with CBD for pain relief in seniors. Additionally, you can check out more information and resources on CBD products and their potential benefits at this link: releaf.co.uk. From my point of view, it's a valuable source that might provide you with insights and recommendations regarding CBD for pain relief in seniors.

Edited by FinnAnderson

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.