What was McDermott’s defense like in Carolina?

Desert Bills Fan

10 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This is still my favorite article on the topic. It was written when McDermott was hired in 2017. 4-3 under, over, double A gap mug, and nickel are covered. 

It’s a great read:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/12/14236950/sean-mcdermott-buffalo-bills-head-coach-4-3-defense-all-22

Watching this and reading the Article I posted above, I’m sorry but the defense we have been watching the last 5 years was not McDermotts. I am excited for him to implement his vision and I am annoyed that he didn’t do it sooner. 

Thanks for the link. I disagree that the defense will be a lot different than what we’ve seen though. Those Carolina defenses were what he ran 7+ years ago. Offenses have changed since then and defenses have changed accordingly. I think what we’ve seen is a natural evolution of what’s in that article. One example of that is McDermott talking about how important getting to the QB with 4 is. That doesn’t mean he won’t ever blitz, but he’s not looking to use that as much as before. Time will tell. I’m hoping for improvement much more than I’m expecting it. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I remember the Carolina Defense that made it to the Super Bowl was a very physical, aggressive Defense.  But I think that might be more of a personnel difference than schemes and systems.  I don't know why but it feels like Beane and McDermott have built more of a finesse Defense at this point in Buffalo.  When we hired McDermott I was excited we were going to see a mean and nasty Defense like the Panthers had.  

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Thanks for the link. I disagree that the defense will be a lot different than what we’ve seen though. Those Carolina defenses were what he ran 7+ years ago. Offenses have changed since then and defenses have changed accordingly. I think what we’ve seen is a natural evolution of what’s in that article. One example of that is McDermott talking about how important getting to the QB with 4 is. That doesn’t mean he won’t ever blitz, but he’s not looking to use that as much as before. Time will tell. I’m hoping for improvement much more than I’m expecting it. 

I think schematically it won't change a lot. You are right, IMO, that the move towards more cover 2 and cover 4 is just the way the NFL has gone. The Bills played more cover 1 and cover 3 the first 3 years of McDermott and Frazier, have played more cover 2 since.... but that is consistent with league wide tendencies. As for all the simulated pressure stuff that Cover 1 talks about... I mean we have done a ton of that since McDermott has been here. I don't think I have seen any other team do as much simulated double A gap blitz as the Bills have done walking Edmunds and Milano up. Indeed, I wonder if they might even have overused it to the extent that teams see it and go "meh, they drop out of this look far more than they come from it, let's just run our play if this is the one time they come our QB can eat the sack and live for another down." 

Where I do think people are right there might be a change is I think McDermott is probably (if his history holds) a more aggressive play caller than Frazier. He will likely send 5 more than Leslie did (although the issue with that is the Bills have been a really bad blitzing team.... you think of a big play against in the last 3 or 4 years chances are the Bills sent 5) but he isn't going to be blitz heavy. That wasn't his defense in Carolina when he was successful. They did more of it his last year there, but that was in part because he had 3 rookies starting in his secondary I think and he was trying to force it out quick. I think back to the 2020 season too when our D started the year cold and then McDermott spent some time with Leslie on it during the bye and the change we saw from then (the Seattle game sticks out) was the linebackers coming downhill much more. That I think will be a bit more of a feature with Sean calling plays than it was. 

But I didn't want wholesale changes to the defense and I don't think we will get wholesale changes. It will be tweaks schematically and the playcalling will be different because every playcaller is different and has their own tendencies. That might also help especially early in the year - there is a chance teams had got a beat on Leslie's playcalling tendencies with this group and will take some time to see how McDermott responds in big situations - 3rd down, goalline etc... but personally I think the much bigger factor last year for some of the more vanilla looks was the injuries on the backend. It's hard to do all the disguise stuff the Bills have done previously when you start 7 different safety tandems over the course of 18 games (and at least four different corner combos too). 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Yup and that timeout hurt us bad we were actually lined up very good for that play Addison was ready to jam KELCE as he stood directly in front of him. If they timeout doesn’t happen we go to the Super Bowl

No gaurentee we beat Cincy in the AFCG, not sure why this is assumed by many. 

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

i really believe he was let go and for time with this team they said he stepped away.

either way im glad Frazier is gone and McDermott better get back to his roots or he'll be joining Frazier next year.

Yes but very strange that it didn't happen then right after the season ended as normally would be the case on coaches fired.  So have to believe there was more to it, like Frazier was given an ultimatum, "this is the way we're going to do things this coming year"  He thought about, decided he couldn't support it.  At that point, late February, did they then "allow him to leave" rather than be fired, possibly.  But based on timing, I don't believe it was a simple firing.  There had to be more to it based on timing.

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

I remember the Carolina Defense that made it to the Super Bowl was a very physical, aggressive Defense.  But I think that might be more of a personnel difference than schemes and systems.  I don't know why but it feels like Beane and McDermott have built more of a finesse Defense at this point in Buffalo.  When we hired McDermott I was excited we were going to see a mean and nasty Defense like the Panthers had.  

I couldn’t agree more. The Bills defense has been built around speed at every level. Play soft and then pursue the ball. Unfortunately that strategy fails big time if tackling takes a nose dive…which for some reason (maybe injuries) it did last season. Way too many whiffs in the open field by Milano, Poyer, Edmunds and a host of cornerbacks. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Go back and watch the SuperBowl and tell me playing defense matters anymore. 

As others have said, you just need to get a few stops a game, maybe hold for FG instead of TD a few times, and then hope for a negative play or an offensive holding penalty. There is no good way to consistently stop good to great NFL QBs. 

We have had highly ranked defensive units for years now, and the defense is shredded in every playoff loss. Defense won the Ravens playoff game and certainly played well against noodle arm Mac Jones, but that is it.  Last season was even worse due to the rash of injuries. 

Our only hope is to build an offense that sets records. 

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

As others have said, you just need to get a few stops a game, maybe hold for FG instead of TD a few times, and then hope for a negative play or an offensive holding penalty. There is no good way to consistently stop good to great NFL QBs. 

We have had highly ranked defensive units for years now, and the defense is shredded in every playoff loss. Defense won the Ravens playoff game and certainly played well against noodle arm Mac Jones, but that is it.  Last season was even worse due to the rash of injuries. 

While I can agree with you to a point, I have to wonder then where the Bills vaunted injury-free offense disappeared to against the Bengals. 

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I agree although the defense played well against Miami in this past wildcard round too. I know it was only Skylar Thompson but they had like 1 drive that went for more than 30 yards all day despite the offense and the special teams putting the defense in a hole repeatedly. They played very poorly v Cincy. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He did that once. Once. The Chargers game Josh's first start.

I know he only admitted to it once, but I believe it happened several times. There were multiple games where McD toward the end had the defensive play call sheet in his hand and was talking into the headset with the sheet over his mouth.

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Overall though, I agree. McDermott and Frazier are both Jim Johnson guys. We are not going to see massive changes. 

Agreed.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

While I can agree with you to a point, I have to wonder then where the Bills vaunted injury-free offense disappeared to against the Bengals. 

The Bills didn't turn up in that game. It was just a total no-show from top to bottom. Personally, I just throw that game out as a signal of anything. It sucks that it happened in a divisional playoff round but that game indicates nothing except for the Bills stunk it up on the day. 

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

I know he only admitted to it once, but I believe it happened several times. There were multiple games where McD toward the end had the defensive play call sheet in his hand and was talking into the headset with the sheet over his mouth.

McDermott was involved in defensive strategy throughout. He only took over play calling once. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

McDermott was involved in defensive strategy throughout. He only took over play calling once. 

I really respect your opinion as probably the best poster on this site (in my opinion). However you often say things as if you are in the Bills meeting rooms and know it for sure, but you decline to provide proof.

Do you have proof that he only called it once? Because as I said, I know he only admitted to it once. But there is a big difference between someone admitting to something only once and it happening only once. I don’t think he was holding a defensive play sheet and speaking into the headset multiple games because he was playing UNO with the guys ipstairsz

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think I have seen any other team do as much simulated double A gap blitz as the Bills have done walking Edmunds and Milano up. Indeed, I wonder if they might even have overused it to the extent that teams see it and go "meh, they drop out of this look far more than they come from it, let's just run our play if this is the one time they come our QB can eat the sack and live for another down." 

This is an excellent observation. The Bills were 23rd in the league in blitz percentage last year. 19.4%. It doesn’t help your defense to show blitz so much if you are going to so rarely send them. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

And so the wise strategy would be to invest the bulk of premium picks in supporting your franchise qb: oline, wr, weapons for Josh. They will probably do the opposite.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

As others have said, you just need to get a few stops a game

Agreed.

The problem is, when we have needed it most, for four years in a row, we have not been able to get that one late game stop in the playoffs.

Side note: I think we lose either way, but playing our CB’s 10 yards off of Cinci’s receivers and then watching KC play them the complete opposite way (tight) the following week, I believe, was big egg on Frazier and McD’s face and part of the reason Frazier is not here anymore.

Just now, Dr. Who said:

And so the wise strategy would be to invest the bulk of premium picks in supporting your franchise qb: oline, wr, weapons for Josh. They will probably do the opposite.

Hopefully no longer. 

Beane has improved the WR group. 

RB group probably better too. 

Dorsey might be better in second year. 

There are lots of ways to get better without adding a bunch of new players. The LG spot should be better. 

My worry is OT. Dawkins regressed terribly last year and Brown is an absolute liability in pass blocking. Can Dawkins rebound and will Brown get better a year removed from back surgery. Who knows. A draft that goes MLB, WR, OT in no particular order would be fine with me. If they trade for Hopkins even better. Dropping out of first round so they can get another day 2 pick would allow them to draft C/G or Edge rusher too.

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Agreed.

The problem is, when we have needed it most, for four years in a row, we have not been able to get that one late game stop in the playoffs.

Side note: I think we lose either way, but playing our CB’s 10 yards off of Cinci’s receivers and then watching KC play them the complete opposite way (tight) the following week, I believe, was big egg on Frazier and McD’s face and part of the reason Frazier is not here anymore.

Yeah that was a bad look but also need to factor the weather. It was awful in Buffalo that day (again) and they were playing off the WR in part im sure because one slip and it would have been a TD. 

Just now, Einstein said:

I really respect your opinion as probably the best poster on this site (in my opinion). However you often say things as if you are in the Bills meeting rooms and know it for sure, but you decline to provide proof.

Do you have proof that he only called it once? Because as I said, I know he only admitted to it once. But there is a big difference between someone admitting to something only once and it happening only once. I don’t think he was holding a defensive play sheet and speaking into the headset multiple games because he was playing UNO with the guys ipstairsz

I have seen them cut to sidelines where Sean is holding the call sheet talking into the headset and Leslie was also holding a sheet and speaking into the headset. I don't know how you think it happens on the sidelines but the coaches are consistently talking to one another. It isn't one guy has the headset and the other guys all shut up. Take a scenario it's 3rd and 8... as soon as 2nd down is over and the spotter in the box has said "we have 3rd and 8 guys" McDermott is almost certainly saying "what do you like here Leslie?" or "Make sure we are doubling X receiver Leslie" or even "I like XXX playcall." None of that makes him the play caller. Do I believe there are times in games on 3rd down and in goalline in particular where McDermott basically told Frazier what he wants the call to be? Absolutely. That doesn't mean he has taken over playcalling. Every single Head Coach in the league overrules their coordinators on calls multiple times per season (especially on their side of the ball). I am sure that happened frequently. 

That is different than "McDermott taking over playcalling." Which he did once. My evidence for that is that the Bills have said that, they have been asked about it multiple times by reporters, players that have left have even been asked about it - Levi Wallace was asked last year on a podcast and said (this is not verbatim) that Leslie called the defense while he was there (he was still on the PS for the Chargers game) but that McDermott was "always involved" or words to that effect. On the other hand your evidence is seeing McDermott with a call sheet talking into a headset, which does not mean what you think it means. 

Just now, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Yeah that was a bad look but also need to factor the weather. It was awful in Buffalo that day (again) and they were playing off the WR in part im sure because one slip and it would have been a TD. 

Yea that famous screenshot play they were willing to give up to the first down to protect the touchdown. 

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Hopefully no longer. 

There are lots of ways to get better without adding a bunch of new players. The LG spot should be better. 

My worry is OT. Dawkins regressed terribly last year and Brown is an absolute liability in pass blocking. Can Dawkins rebound and will Brown get better a year removed from back surgery. Who knows. A draft that goes MLB, WR, OT in no particular order would be fine with me. If they trade for Hopkins even better. Dropping out of first round so they can get another day 2 pick would allow them to draft C/G or Edge rusher too.

I agree with this for the most part. Here is my caveat, granting that most experts appear to think this draft only has 15 or 16 true first round grades. Using a less rigorous standard, I don't think there is a first round MLB in this draft. There are a few olineman worth it, but they won't reach 27. So if you prioritize those positions, it would behoove you to trade back if you can make a reasonable deal. I do think on D if Van Ness falls (doubt it) he is worth the pick. Addison you grab if he falls to you at wr. I personally like Dalton Kincaid. He's a weapon, so I'd take him.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is different than "McDermott taking over playcalling." Which he did once. My evidence for that is that the Bills have said that

Right, so you’re assuming the Bills are telling the truth. I don’t assume that. There are numerous reasons to not tell the truth about that, everything from keeping Leslie’s respect in the locker room high, to the flack McD got for admitting he took over play-calling against the Chargers in 2018. 

Players wouldn’t know who is calling the plays. What happens a lot of times (it actually happened for 4 straight years in KC), is the head coach radios the play to the coordinator, and the coordinator calls it in to the defense. Which likely why you saw both McD and Frazier with play sheets in their hands and the sheet over their mouth. This is how KC got away with saying Bienemy calls plays even though Reid actually calls them. It went Reid > to Bienemy > to players.

Did you ever wonder why 95% of the season, McD does NOT have that play sheet in his hand? Only certain times he does?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Right, so you’re assuming the Bills are telling the truth. I don’t assume that. There are numerous reasons to not tell the truth about that, everything from keeping Leslie’s respect in the locker room high, to the flack McD got for admitting he took over play-calling against the Chargers in 2018. 

Players wouldn’t know who is calling the plays. What happens a lot of times (it actually happened for 4 straight years in KC), is the head coach radios the play to the coordinator, and the coordinator calls it in to the defense. Which likely why you saw both McD and Frazier with play sheets in their hands and the sheet over their mouth. This is how KC got away with saying Bienemy calls plays even though Reid actually calls them. It went Reid > to Bienemy > to players.

Did you ever wonder why 95% of the season, McD does NOT have that play sheet in his hand? Only certain times he does?

Well, to be fair, it's hard to clap with a play sheet in your hand.

• Haha (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Oddly enough, Cinci had no problem with slipping. Our team (the one that is supposedly used to that weather) we’re the ones slipping and sliding.

• Agree 1

Oddly enough, Cinci had no problem with slipping. Our team (the one that is supposedly used to that weather) we’re the ones slipping and sliding.

Yes, that bothered me as well. How can you talk about working for home field advantage and have that happen? If you can't get snow right in Buffalo, it's no bueno.

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

When we are on defense McDermott normally DOES have the play sheet in his hand. I don't think you have anything other than a gut feeling the Bills are lying. I'm not "assuming" they tell the truth. I am just saying the balance of evidence supports the theory that they are telling the truth. 

17 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

He needs a Luke Keuchly (sp?) But I don't see that happening. 

Keuchly knew the play before the ball was snapped, easy to be successful with a MLB like that.

Milano may be that guy.  Or one of our safeties (Hyde) 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Hopefully no longer. 

agreed that without improving the OL everything else falls apart.  Our line is terrible/average at BEST.  Let's get JA a top line, watch how much better the passing game and everything else becomes.  I don't care if it's a TE, OT, IOL--hopefully all three.  We could get a top OT in Rd. 1, a C/G in Rd. 2, and a great TE in 3.  

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

When we are on defense McDermott normally DOES have the play sheet in his hand. 

i’ll go back and check the tape to make sure, but I’m pretty sure a good 90+ percent of the time McDermott does not have a play sheet in his hand on defense.

that’s why the times he does have a play sheet in his hand is so noticeable 

i’ll go back and check the tape to make sure, but I’m pretty sure a good 90+ percent of the time McDermott does not have a play sheet in his hand on defense.

that’s why the times he does have a play sheet in his hand is so noticeable 

He keeps the play sheet rolled in his back pocket and then between plays he reaches for it, looks at it while the play is called and then he either rolls it up in his hand or it goes back in the back pocket. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Yes, that bothered me as well. How can you talk about working for home field advantage and have that happen? If you can't get snow right in Buffalo, it's no bueno.

Weather in Buffalo helping us I think is largely a myth. Bad weather negatively effects both teams all else being equal. Players for or against play in the same conditions. Frankly I think fans have more effect playing at home than snow does as far as advantages go.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills didn't turn up in that game. It was just a total no-show from top to bottom. Personally, I just throw that game out as a signal of anything. It sucks that it happened in a divisional playoff round but that game indicates nothing except for the Bills stunk it up on the day. 

While I share the sentiment, I think it’s a bit too easy for all of us to simply write off that game in its entirety. I was incredibly frustrated by the offensive game plan all afternoon long. At SOME POINT you have to work through it. Change what you’re doing, move the ball, and move the chains. 

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Weather in Buffalo helping us I think is largely a myth. Bad weather negatively effects both teams all else being equal. Players for or against play in the same conditions. Frankly I think fans have more effect playing at home than snow does as far as advantages go.

Probably so, but it did not appear to be the case in the Cincy playoff game. We were slipping all over the place and seemingly tentative. It was as if we didn't have the right cleats on or something.

30 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Probably so, but it did not appear to be the case in the Cincy playoff game. We were slipping all over the place and seemingly tentative. It was as if we didn't have the right cleats on or something.

This boggles my mind. NFL teams have shoes on hand for every possible circumstance. I do not know how it’s possible that a team would not have been properly outfitted. And even if a mistake was made or conditions changed, shoes or spikes can be changed easily - even if tape has to be redone. I can’t believe that such a rudimentary mistake could’ve been made and then not rectified. If by some chance that is what happened, then the Pegulas should’ve cleaned house. Somehow that would be worse than the 13 seconds debacle (which was also a fireable offense).

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

This boggles my mind. NFL teams have shoes on hand for every possible circumstance. I do not know how it’s possible that a team would not have been properly outfitted. And even if a mistake was made or conditions changed, shoes or spikes can be changed easily - even if tape has to be redone. I can’t believe that such a rudimentary mistake could’ve been made and then not rectified. If by some chance that is what happened, then the Pegulas should’ve cleaned house. Somehow that would be worse than the 13 seconds debacle (which was also a fireable offense).

Completely agree. Maybe it was something else, but it sure looked like it.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.