What was McDermott’s defense like in Carolina?

Desert Bills Fan

Aggressive, lots of exotic looks, good sack production.  I hope he goes back to that style.  

these guys do a good breakdown and have film of Carolinas d under McDermott.  You can fast forward through it if you want to just watch that part 

Edited by GolfandBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

A buddy of mine who is a big Panthers fan said it is very similar to what we have seen in Buffalo.

He hired Frazier for a reason, and that’s because he’s runs a similar defense to McD. To his point, McD even took over playcalling some games in his tenure year.

He also said McD got Edmunds and Milano to replicate what he had in Keuchly and Davis in Carolina.

Long story short - he doesn’t think we are going to see much difference.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

A buddy of mine who is a big Panthers fan said it is very similar to what we have seen in Buffalo.

He hired Frazier for a reason, and that’s because he’s runs a similar defense to McD. To his point, McD even took over playcalling some games in his tenure year.

He also said McD got Edmunds and Milano to replicate what he had in Keuchly and Davis in Carolina.

Just need to see a little difference 

11 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Just need to see a D that doesn’t puke up 65 yards in 13 seconds. 

Here it is.

Are we all going to pretend that in crunch time, with the season on the line, McD wasn’t involved in the defensive play calling?

Nonsense!

McD was well aware of what defense we were running during 13 seconds (there was even a timeout to adjust), as well as the Bengals atrocity.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 9

8 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

If McDermott gets to make the first pick once again it’s not going to go well. 

You actually think McD is gonna get more power and hands on with the team controlling the entire defense and he isn’t going to get his pick of draft picks coming out? Lol. Not a chance we don’t pick a lot of defense this draft. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

46 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

If McDermott gets to make the first pick once again it’s not going to go well. 

Yeah I agree. Hopefully McDermott has no say in this draft. Sit back and let Beane and scouts take care of things. T

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Are you always this optimistic?

Everyone loved keuchly but davis was just important. No one loved Edmunds but Milano is just as important. He ran with Shaq Thompson and Klein in 3 lb packages that he doesn't need here.  

I'm lazy otherwise I'd type more 

This is still my favorite article on the topic. It was written when McDermott was hired in 2017. 4-3 under, over, double A gap mug, and nickel are covered. 

It’s a great read:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/12/14236950/sean-mcdermott-buffalo-bills-head-coach-4-3-defense-all-22

2 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

Aggressive, lots of exotic looks, good sack production.  I hope he goes back to that style.  

these guys do a good breakdown and have film of Carolinas d under McDermott.  You can fast forward through it if you want to just watch that part 

Watching this and reading the Article I posted above, I’m sorry but the defense we have been watching the last 5 years was not McDermotts. I am excited for him to implement his vision and I am annoyed that he didn’t do it sooner. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.