What was McDermott’s defense like in Carolina?

Desert Bills Fan

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Here it is.

Are we all going to pretend that in crunch time, with the season on the line, McD wasn’t involved in the defensive play calling?

Nonsense!

McD was well aware of what defense we were running during 13 seconds (there was even a timeout to adjust), as well as the Bengals atrocity.

Yup and that timeout hurt us bad we were actually lined up very good for that play Addison was ready to jam KELCE as he stood directly in front of him. If they timeout doesn’t happen we go to the Super Bowl

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Between comments made by McD earlier about being more aggressive makes me wonder if there was more discussion between him and Frazier on what needed to change defensively.  Maybe Frazier half halfheartedly agreed to it, but as he thought about it more, came to conclusion he didn't want to do that so after alot of "soul searching" decided to resign.  McD then stepped int to call the plays.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Personnel usage and schematically it’ll look the same but with a lot more blitzing.

Carolina lead the NFL in 5+ rushers in 2016.

This alone makes McD’s philosophical approach much different than Frazier’s. Although they’ll be working from the same playbook, I don’t expect to see a defense that lines up predominantly in nickel, even on the goal line, and depends largely on the front four winning. McD will have something different in store. 

4 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

Aggressive, lots of exotic looks, good sack production.  I hope he goes back to that style.  

these guys do a good breakdown and have film of Carolinas d under McDermott.  You can fast forward through it if you want to just watch that part 

Great breakdown and review of mcd as d c.   Also has RAPPs breakdown and ways mcd might use him. After watching this, i came away finally having some enthusiasm for the season return , as for the past two years it was a feeling of futility watching Fraziers soft zone , never adapting , teams converting 3rd and long routinely, lack of sacks or finishing, and it culminated in humiliating fashions both years as the d failed to hold a lead or with CINCY, just watching them move the ball at will aa we were never in the game.   After watching this , i am more convinced FRAZIER didn’t just “take a year off’ , and I’m sure he will not return to the BILLS in that dc capacity again. 

This breakdown , IMO, shows a huge philosophical difference between mcd and Frazier , and i think over the years mcd went into his HC role and had less ans less to do with how th d was run or game planning , as he appropriately trusted Frazier , who is such a likable man , and I’m sure helped mcd in his transformation to being a HC. I would bet mcd finally realized this D was no longer going to work come playoff time or even in the more highly competitive AFC east. I would bet mcd knew FRAZIER couldn’t adapt, and pro had lengthy discussions and finally Frazier realized his own weaknesses and they came up with a plan that allows Frazier to step away, but it looked like his choice, and keeps his options with all other teams intact to return. It avoids retiring, more importantly it avoids the negative apperance of being fired or released.

Frazier walks away not being a scapegoat.  I just think if the d does change with mcd at the dc position, it would be compatible with mcd realizing he wants an aggressive D ( gosh i hope so ) and who better to get back to that than he running it himself as the others on staff are groomed to eventually take over and allow mcd to return to focusing on HC responsibilities.  The team seemed to be at a crossroads , Almost losing to the fins with a sub QB, before begging taken apart by Cincy. With the afc east alll looking to have pretty competent qb play and coaching, a change was needed and this might be a great solution . ALLEN will only be in his prime so long, and watching the last 2 years blown opportunities, reality sinks in as those chances don’t come automatically or often. 

I hope MCD does up things with the stunts etc , as cover 1  showed just how predictable and beatable this bend but don’t break , Frazier d had become.  This is not dumping on FRAZIER, but despite his statistically successful D, it was his responsibility for the playoff terrible D calls, and those shots with guys way off the line in both those 2 playoff losses are just not deniable despite all the FRAZIER apologists who kept arguing those pics meant nothing without knowing responsibilities. The bottom line is the results of the plays were failures ,the players under Frazier lacked situational awareness, and the team lost both games. If you watch the podcast and still say you would prefer FRAZIER still running the D, we just have nothing to discuss when you keep denying all video evidence presented. 

This helps with the draft , as if mcd runs that form of d discussed, you don’t need another Edmunds, just a smart guy with instincts and some coverage ability. You do need a guy who doesn’t get dominated by o linemen , who is aggressive enough to attack and finish sacks and tackles well. I hope they know who they have in mind and don’t get too greedy trying to drop back much. Those ratings are all subjective and it just takes one pick to lose your guy; we don’t have any other glaring need so get your guy at 27 and move on. You can drop later when many guys are on the same talent tier.   Get a guy who can play now, get some young wr talent that you allow to play , and get competition depth the rest of the way.   If mcd runs the same D he did in Carolina in 2015-16 w some tweeks, i can actually say it would be exciting to watch and with the Frazier /soft zone not dominating game plans, we can really challenge for a SB title which was not happening without those changes. 

• Agree 1

It’s pretty simple from an X and O standpoint 

Frazier and McD systems are able to work together … but the nuances are different over the last 5 years 

frazier has morphed into a nickel Tampa 2 cover 4 hybrid … they play combo and rush 4 consistently … like cover 1 man on third 

McDermott is much more varied …. Frazier will send 4 consistently no matter the outcome …

mcdermott will send 5 if he needs to get to the QB… he will send 6 if he needs … he’s liked a 43 under with matching principles 

he will not sit back in a cover 4 and get dinked and dunked on…. 

mcD will bring pressure and simulated pressure packages that will stress the QB more often 

cover 3 over 2 and 4… 5 man pressures more often …. Quarter field man - 3/4 zone combo looks …. Simulated pressures 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

True.

Especially in the playoffs.

Yeah our regular season D and playoff D are 2 distinctly different animals. 

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This is still my favorite article on the topic. It was written when McDermott was hired in 2017. 4-3 under, over, double A gap mug, and nickel are covered. 

It’s a great read:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/12/14236950/sean-mcdermott-buffalo-bills-head-coach-4-3-defense-all-22

Watching this and reading the Article I posted above, I’m sorry but the defense we have been watching the last 5 years was not McDermotts. I am excited for him to implement his vision and I am annoyed that he didn’t do it sooner. 

Should've been calling plays since day 1, just like Andy.  Better late than never.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Einstein said:

A buddy of mine who is a big Panthers fan said it is very similar to what we have seen in Buffalo.

He hired Frazier for a reason, and that’s because he’s runs a similar defense to McD. To his point, McD even took over playcalling some games in his tenure year.

He also said McD got Edmunds and Milano to replicate what he had in Keuchly and Davis in Carolina.

Long story short - he doesn’t think we are going to see much difference.

He did that once. Once. The Chargers game Josh's first start.

Overall though, I agree. McDermott and Frazier are both Jim Johnson guys. We are not going to see massive changes. It will look a bit more exotic than last year - especially with coverages - because the Bills defense which is usually the most sophistocated in the NFL on the backend with lots of disguise and different looks for a QB had to be simplified in 2022 due to the injuries in the secondary. But that would have been the case with Frazier still here too. The reason they were more vanilla last season was their guys were hurt. 

Edited by GunnerBill

9 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

Aggressive, lots of exotic looks, good sack production.  I hope he goes back to that style.  

these guys do a good breakdown and have film of Carolinas d under McDermott.  You can fast forward through it if you want to just watch that part 

if he gets back to this we will have a real dominant defense not just a statistical one.

8 hours ago, Einstein said:

A buddy of mine who is a big Panthers fan said it is very similar to what we have seen in Buffalo.

He hired Frazier for a reason, and that’s because he’s runs a similar defense to McD. To his point, McD even took over playcalling some games in his tenure year.

He also said McD got Edmunds and Milano to replicate what he had in Keuchly and Davis in Carolina.

Long story short - he doesn’t think we are going to see much difference.

He was way more aggressive in Carolina . Frazier didn't take a year off , he was fired. But they still respect him and didn't want to make him look bad by letting him go.

McDermott is going back to his roots of Jim Johnson

9 hours ago, wppete said:

He was very Fortunate to Have Luke Keuchly…. What’s interesting is that Jack Campbell of Iowa is training with Keuchly this off-season. 

Milano could do this but we'll probably go Jack Campbell in the draft.

• Disagree 1

8 hours ago, mikemac2001 said:

Just need to see a little difference 

we need a lot of difference .

statistically we had great defenses but we were constantly out physicalled and played soft and 3rd and long consistently giving up big plays. Signing guys like Taylor Rapp shows that they want better tacklers.

• Disagree 1

McD will be a little more aggressive than Frazier, and most has already been stated above.  Now that he has Rapp and Poyer returning, he can do big nickel or dime if he wants against the right opponents.  I’m looking forward to seeing what happens.  I’m not sure if we’re going with MLB in the 1st rd. 

If we get Hopkins, and that is still a draft day possibility, we most likely will shoot for a TE in one of the early rounds.  They are just too hard to come by, and this draft is deep.  We’ll also draft a mid round WR, possibly G, and aMOB somewhere as well as rounding things out with a safety.

The last thing I’ll add is it’s interesting he was mentored by the great Jimmy Johnson in Philly, and JJ was known as a 3-4 guy so McD has evolved since his Philly days.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Between comments made by McD earlier about being more aggressive makes me wonder if there was more discussion between him and Frazier on what needed to change defensively.  Maybe Frazier half halfheartedly agreed to it, but as he thought about it more, came to conclusion he didn't want to do that so after alot of "soul searching" decided to resign.  McD then stepped int to call the plays.

i really believe he was let go and for time with this team they said he stepped away.

either way im glad Frazier is gone and McDermott better get back to his roots or he'll be joining Frazier next year.

• Disagree 1

26 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

i really believe he was let go and for time with this team they said he stepped away.

either way im glad Frazier is gone and McDermott better get back to his roots or he'll be joining Frazier next year.

Tough for me to believe he wouldn't have easily found a job elsewhere having fielded three top two defenses in the last four seasons.  That's a really easy sell for a new head coach to pitch to a fan base despite the Bengals game (which can easily be chalked up to the injury excuse).  I think he really did just want a year off.  Regardless, I'm glad it happened as the in game adjustments in the playoffs were "lacking" the last three playoff losses too put it kindly.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He did that once. Once. The Chargers game Josh's first start.

Overall though, I agree. McDermott and Frazier are both Jim Johnson guys. We are not going to see massive changes. It will look a bit more exotic than last year - especially with coverages - because the Bills defense which is usually the most sophistocated in the NFL on the backend with lots of disguise and different looks for a QB had to be simplified in 2022 due to the injuries in the secondary. But that would have been the case with Frazier still here too. The reason they were more vanilla last season was their guys were hurt. 

I recall it happening a few more times? I may be wrong. Maybe not entire games, but quarters and halves when he was calling plays on the sidelines. 

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It was just once. 

I'm not interested in debating Frazier. I don't really care; he's not here for whatever reason. What I'd like to know is what kind of lb are we likely after? If it's Campbell that signals some kind of scheme change.

27 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm not interested in debating Frazier. I don't really care; he's not here for whatever reason. What I'd like to know is what kind of lb are we likely after? If it's Campbell that signals some kind of scheme change.

Agree if they draft Campbell you have to make some modifications to what you are asking your linebackers to do. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.