What was McDermott’s defense like in Carolina?

Desert Bills Fan

1 minute ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

No, but why would say anything that isn't accurate. 

I’m just saying his opinion isn’t exactly something we should respect that much. He was over rated and was fired from his last job. He hasn’t exactly been great in Washington either. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

I’m just saying his opinion isn’t exactly something we should respect that much. He was over rated and was fired from his last job. He hasn’t exactly been great in Washington either. 

Regardless of what people think about him, he still had an understanding of how McD thinks.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LyndonvilleBill said:

Regardless of what people think about him, he still had an understanding of how McD thinks.

Just saying his opinion holds little weight to me. If I thought he was good maybe. He will always look at his understudy in a good light. 

Never said his opinion was important,  just that it may be accurate. 

That’s where we differ. I just don’t accept anything from that guy. Don’t think he’s good and can’t recognize it either. 

Just now, mrags said:

That’s where we differ. I just don’t accept anything from that guy. Don’t think he’s good and can’t recognize it either. 

We don't differ. I'm just messing with you because every thread is showing your avatar on my phone. I didn't like simon when I was a kid, So I keep replying to change the scenery. 😜

We don't differ. I'm just messing with you because every thread is showing your avatar on my phone. I didn't like simon when I was a kid, So I keep replying to change the scenery. 😜

Oh. One of my favorite games 

21 minutes ago, HappyCat said:

I don't think McD was hired by the Bills for his defensive coaching prowess.  He impressed the Pegula's with his team building skills and ability to relate to players.  That was a huge change from Rex.

image.png.ccf00c4c2be9a2f000ee0a5370cca83f.png

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/31/2023 at 8:33 AM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yes but very strange that it didn't happen then right after the season ended as normally would be the case on coaches fired.  So have to believe there was more to it, like Frazier was given an ultimatum, "this is the way we're going to do things this coming year"  He thought about, decided he couldn't support it.  At that point, late February, did they then "allow him to leave" rather than be fired, possibly.  But based on timing, I don't believe it was a simple firing.  There had to be more to it based on timing.

I definitely could see it that way, probably more likely than a straight up firing. They probably waited to see if they could get draft compensation if he got hired as a DC and then let him go when that didn't happen.

On 3/31/2023 at 3:37 AM, Doc Brown said:

Tough for me to believe he wouldn't have easily found a job elsewhere having fielded three top two defenses in the last four seasons.  That's a really easy sell for a new head coach to pitch to a fan base despite the Bengals game (which can easily be chalked up to the injury excuse).  I think he really did just want a year off.  Regardless, I'm glad it happened as the in game adjustments in the playoffs were "lacking" the last three playoff losses too put it kindly.

Statistically good defense but not actually good defense.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/2/2023 at 3:30 PM, LyndonvilleBill said:

The way I look at it we can only go up in playoff performance defensively.  Frazier was a stubborn dinosaur in love with his "zone under all circumstances".   Just when you thought 13 seconds was heinous,  along comes 3rd & 4 with Tre 10+ yards off the ball.  We got so out coached defensively in those 2 games it was a sight to see.  In theory Sean should blitz more and play man press more. I'm done watching the Bills D play soccer.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The way I look at it we can only go up in playoff performance defensively.  Frazier was a stubborn dinosaur in love with his "zone under all circumstances".   Just when you thought 13 seconds was heinous,  along comes 3rd & 4 with Tre 10+ yards off the ball.  We got so out coached defensively in those 2 games it was a sight to see.  In theory Sean should blitz more and play man press more. I'm done watching the Bills D play soccer.

I wonder if this is one of the reasons for the Elam pick? He is more of a man/press corner than zone from my understanding.  So now with White back and Elam, maybe that was the thought but Frazier was stuck in his ways? Maybe McDermott had other thoughts that led to a change?🤔

21 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I wonder if this is one of the reasons for the Elam pick? He is more of a man/press corner than zone from my understanding.  So now with White back and Elam, maybe that was the thought but Frazier was stuck in his ways? Maybe McDermott had other thoughts that led to a change?🤔

I think having that versatility was part of the plan. Unfortunately, Tre was never himself and Elam took some time to get up to speed. Stuff happens. Keep moving. 

33 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

We were never going to a SB let alone win one with Frazier's version of that T2 zone.  And yes that Elam pick speaks volumes as to how calculated it was. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.