How long before a defense coordinator is signed?

Punching Bag

Clear Coach McDermott can provide input and evaluations to front office but a head coach is supposed not just be a more highly paid defense coordinator.

It has been a month (Leslie Frazier's stepping down was announced on February 23) and I expected to at least hear of interviews.

[ To those who want to bash Leslie Frazier there are already other threads and no need to repeat yourself unless you do not have self control to prevent it ]

Leslie taking "A year sabbatical" is an issue for Bills if his contract is guaranteed not due to his salary but because candidates may not want to be hired on a one year lame duck contract.  Even if they were offered multi-year contracts the new coach would not want to step down. 

Internal Candidates:

• Eric Washington - previously coached for Coach McD for 5 years and when he left he was DC for 2 years for Panthers
  • Al Holcomb - previously coached for Coach McD for 4 years and when he left he went to Cardinals where he was DC for 1 year

Coach McD says he wants a more aggressive defense and the Cover 2 scheme he runs does not tend to be aggressive although it has been dialed up. Bills have some players who can be aggressive who are good at blitzing.

My preference would be an outside candidate and I advocated a senior defense assistant last year without experience with working with Coach McD to serve as counterpoint but that never occurred.

I have heard Mike Pettine being suggested by media who is assistant HC for Vikings but not any position coach but I doubt he would want to come back but he might with a different front office..

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I have heard Mike Pettine being suggested by media who is assistant HC for Vikings but not any position coach but I doubt he would want to come back but he might with a different front office..

No way it would be Pettine.  He is a 3-4 guy

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It's a weird situation, but I assume this is why they brought in Holcomb.

Holcomb was hired before Frazier came to them and told them about this

On the 28th, they said Frazier had come to the team and discussed his feelings on stepping away "last week."

Holcomb was hired on Feb. 8th.

But yeah, they're dealing with this with the folks who are already on the staff.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

He’s already been hired, minus the title. 

This right here, ^^^  the “ Senior Defensive Assistant” they hired, Seems like Sean may be calling the D side this up coming season…,

When you can't touch the QB, you can't touch the WRs, its impossible to stop a top, quick release QB and top WRs other than a few drives per game,  I am not super interested or concerned about defense.   Playing the top 5-7 teams, you simply need to outscore them, so put your focus on having the number 1 offense.   Focus the D on getting 4-5 stops per game (punts/FGs) when you score TDs on all but 3 of your drives.  I am exaggerating, but why go nuts sweating over and spending huge $$ on D when the rules don't allow them to play?   I'm glad Edmunds walked.. he doesn't generate stops, he just forces offenses to take longer to score a TD.  That model is interesting but doesn't work against top 5 teams.  You need to score, score and score some more. 

Is it possible that the flag football game at the Pro Bowl was pretty entertaining because it looked a lot like the regular game?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.