Leslie Frazier "taking a year off from coaching" per Bills PR

Roundybout

This is easy. Frazier just didn't want to quit as it's never a good look unless your just retiring.. But he didn't want to continue with the Bills. (Maybe he's tired of being trashed for having a top 5 defense for the last 5 years). He'll have ZERO trouble latching on as a DC when he returns in 2024. For the Bills, it's also easy. Al Holcomb will just be elevated to DC. Maybe McD will take over D-play calling for a while? I also believe this move confirms that Edwards and Poyer will not be returning. Bottom line is Frazier likely saw a Bills defensive regression coming this year, and he wanted to step out while his D was #2 overall. Smart move. Frazier gets the last laugh.     

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, harmonkillebrew said:

What quality DC is going to accept a job for one year??  This is an odd move. If they're serious that he'll be back in 2024 then they'll probably just look to fill his shoes from within.  This is so weird its almost dysfunctional. 

Almost all would, if they are any good they will either stay here or get another gig.  I seriously doubt Frazier comes back.

12 minutes ago, Billl said:

The Bills lose to the Bengals 27-10 and everyone walks away talking about the defensive failings. Football fans are funny.

Cincy scored TDs on their first two drives and made it look too easy. 14-0 hole right off the bat.  That set the tone for the entire game.

They let their foot off the gas in the second half.  They could've put up 40 if they had to. The Bills couldn't stop the run or the pass.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Agree 4

Just now, Billz4ever said:

Cincy scored TDs on their first two drives and made it look too easy. 14-0 hole right off the bat.  That set the tone for the entire game.

They let their foot off the gas in the second half.  They could've easily put up 40 if they had to.

But everyone saying we need to focus on building the Offense this offseason cites the fact that its a scoring league, and it isnt as much about stopping Offenses and keeping up with the scoring. Which we didnt do. And that is why we need to dedicate draft picks and FAs to the O side. Or no?

They let their foot off the gas in the second half.  They could've easily put up 40 if they had to.

No.  We had a chance to double dip and actually lead coming out of the half.

o repeatedly failed scoring 10 points.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I hated the Bengals game.  I thought we were in trouble when I saw the inactives and Benford on the list.  Not enough corners dressed and headed for too much zone.   First play Burrow looked at Edmunds (over Chase, I believe) and threw right at him.   Easy pitch and catch, just like the rest of the day.  

That game was an absolute embarrassment to me as a FAN. Conditions and footing being sloppy, what better time to get your hands on the WRs at the line and knock off the timing. Elam and Tre CAN play press. They did it well against the Fins when they called it. That Cincy game looked like it was rigged....not saying it was, just looked scripted.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

But everyone saying we need to focus on building the Offense this offseason cites the fact that its a scoring league, and it isnt as much about stopping Offenses and keeping up with the scoring. Which we didnt do. And that is why we need to dedicate draft picks and FAs to the O side. Or no?

Do you expect your defense to allow the other team to score on every possession?  The Bills couldn't stop them at all.  They were toying with us in the second half.

Getting literally blown off the ball with backup lineman.

There's a huge difference between slowing a team down and just getting run over like the Bills did.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. Leslie has also committed all Josh's turnovers. And he blew Scott Norwood's kick off target. 

Funny you mention Norwood's kick.  I lived through those four superbowl appearances and IMO if Levy would have had the cajones to fire DC Walt Corey, history may have been different.  Certainly after the Washington drubbing in XXVI, but he chose to take the low hanging Dickerson fruit and be satisfied.

We need change to get us to the next level.  Hopefully it's the right one.

• Like (+1) 2

Do you expect your defense to allow the other team to score on every possession?  The Bills couldn't stop them at all.  They were toying with us in the second half.

Getting literally blown off the ball with backup lineman.

There's a huge difference between slowing a team down and just getting run over like the Bills did.

Both sides of the ball failed hard that game. I'd say the Offense failed harder. That's all.

Butler is already the defensive pass game coordinator. They probably make Babich or Holcomb defensive run game coordinator and McDeromott calls the plays. 

I don’t love the head coach calling plays because it distracts from the in game decision making, which he is already pretty bad at. But I think this is desperation mode a bit. If McDermott himself can’t do a better job getting the defense going, he really doesn’t deserve the job. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.